So, I'm thinking about a SET amp

cincymat

I think Steve Deckert has a good ear for this sort of thing and makes some very nice sounding gear.  

His single ended amps without feedback tend to share a rather airy presentation.  They manage the single ended trickery quite well, but can tend to be on the lean side.

The Mini Torii happens to pair very well with Heritage.  It sounds a bit beefier and darker than the SE84 and SE34i amps.  Forum member Erik2a3, who knows a thing or two about single ended amps, has a Mini Torii and has had only good things to say about it.

Wolfbane is correct.  SETs and La Scalas are truly unbelievable!  However, much depends on your room size, where you sit in relation to the speakers, and listening level.  If you like to listen at 110 db in a large room (for the life of me I can't imagine how anyone can enjoy music at such a level, yet many folks do), and sit 15 feet away from them, SETs capable of delivering the needed power can break the bank.  It will also greatly reduce the sonic benefits of what SETs are capable of.  Get hold of William ("wdecho") and he can give you lots of info about using LSs with low power SETs.  You need not spend anything approaching the cost of the Decware amp you linked to achieve amazing results.

Maynard  

My listening room is 14' X 24'. The La Scalas are 8' apart with my listening area 8' from the closest front edge of the La Scalas. I have them toed in to around 45 degrees. Ceiling is sloped from 8' along the short walls to 10' in the center of the room. Based on a sound level app on my iPhone I like average sound levels of 70 dB with peaks of 95 dB. 

I'd prefer to have an amp built by someone who knows what they're doing as opposed to me doing the build. I know that's more expensive but if i don't like it it should be easier to sell than one I built. 

Matt, I've looked at Tool Shed Audio and have seen your posts. It's cool that Matt of Tool shed took the time to bring his gear to the Amp shoot out in St. Louis last weekend. I'll give him a call. 

Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know i am late to this. But I am playing my Lascalas using a Big Ben from AmpsandSound.  They are amazing.  

Now, since I have more money, I am wondering if going to mono-blocks would make it even better.  I suggest you Get in touch with Justin @ Amps and Sound