Tablet Advice - what to get

tigerwoodKhorns

WOW - there are sooooo many variables about features that you really need to know what you want. Screen size, screen pixels, screen type, memory, sdcards slot, OS, Camera, the list is almost endless. 

I like the 8" size, and I like Android OS. I care nothing about the camera inside. Our family has had several Samsung Galaxy Tabs and had good luck. The worst we had was an Amazon Fire. Nice hardware, crappy SW. We don't buy the expensive Apple stuff, so I don't know anything there. 

Get the newest OS version you can. On Android it is 6.0, but get at least 5.x. 

How about this one.  I am way too impatient to research this. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-9-7-16gb-white/5127087.p?id=1219646573196&skuId=5127087

Is the 8" screen adequate or is the 9" screen the way to go. 

That's a pretty large screen. With tablets, sometimes you don't want the biggest. I tried and then went back to a 8". Because holding in the hand, free hand, is a common thing you will want to do, and 10 is just too large. The 8 is only $163 in that model. It has Android 5 which is fine. And the screen quality is very nice on that. 

I just bought a Samsung Galaxt Tab S2 9.7" 32GB for $399. I never was an iPad person even though my wife had/has iPad 2 and now an iPad Air...... and she's envious. The only reason she went with iPad is because most of the apps involving teaching disabled children are written for iPad/Apple (her job).

The Tab S2 is thinner and lighter than the Air and is also expandable via a micro SD card up to an additional 128GB. I put a 64GB in mine ($22) for a total of 96Gb while directing all pics and videos to it. It along carries a rockin' Octacore processor as well as able to multitask.

Still discovering what it can do.

Pro: Comes with MS Office pre-installed (Word, Excel, Power Point, One Note, etc. (but not Access). It can also Side Sync with my Samsung S4 phone (Samsung's version of VM Ware). Amoled screen is awesomely sharp.

Con: The Samsung case/keyboard (bluetooth) is NOT worth the $150 that also adds .7 lbs to the total weight.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

Is there any advantage to getting a Samsung Tablet if you have Samsung TVs? 

No.

I have used ASUS tablets and they are very good for what I use them for. I bought 4-8 inch screens for my kids who love them,and one for me for work. The tablets link into things with no issues.

Look at version numbers as well as Gigs. All 5 of mine have 64GB's. They all have cameras that can be used both ways for "selfie" types as well as regular. And video is pretty good as well. My youngest uses his for a phone sometimes with a free phone app also.

Not to knock IPAD's but they lack in aftermarket chargers as well as other things. The others aren't.

Edited by Jim

How about this one.  I am way too impatient to research this. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-9-7-16gb-white/5127087.p?id=1219646573196&skuId=5127087

Is the 8" screen adequate or is the 9" screen the way to go. 

I have the Galaxy 3 and it works fine for what I use it for. I use my Samsung phone as a remote control for my Samsung TVs, I would think the tablet would have the same ability

I don't think you can go wrong with the Samsungs, size is a question of how good your eyes are

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

I like our Samsung Galaxy Note...it is a 10" tablet that we picked up last year from Costco for under $300 (now it is around $500).I use it for controlling our Audio equipment, and lighting through apps currently.

How much processor speed is really necessary? I tried a Samsung Tab E at the Verizon store and it seemed slow to load webpages.

Speed is pretty important. All the front line Samsung will have fast processors, no worry. But when you see a $49 tablet, it will have a dog processor.

The way most end up using tablets is having many apps running, and that's why you want a fast processor. Right now I am running Tapatalk to type this post, I also have Ok Google, calendar, Chrome, Kindle, and You Tube running also. Works nice. If all you wanted to do was say, remote control a TV, thou could do with less power.

My tablet totally replaced my laptop use. I find it to be an indispensable sidekick. It's a better Kindle than Kindle, and a better radio than my $100 portable radio. I find lots of use for it. Evernote and Etsy are two other apps I like.

Again, don't jump to the conclusion that big screen is the way to go. Mine did in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

So is something like the Samsung Tab A adequate to get on websites, watch videos etc. or do I need a more powerful one?

Should be totally good.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I was overhearing the Samsung rep at our Best buy talk to another customer and he was saying the Tab A was the best bang for the buck (of course, I had to go a step beyond that and got the S2).