Klipsch Jubilee newbie seeking help please ....

joeinid

Roger/twistedcrankcammer,

I'd like to thank you again for the above help in explaining what goes on at the gathering. I so want to go but really have to see how I can make it happen.

As much as I would love to take the bass bins, I sadly think it's too much of a commitment and size issue to come get them and set them up. I think I can manage the specfied Jubilee speakers for the room that I have now and would cetainly get more use/enjoyment out of them in my current listening room.

You guys are AWESOME. I so very much appreciate all the info and help you have and are giving me. I am still trying to digest what I see here and will strongly consider active crossovers as well.

I am excited at the thought of actually hearing these in person someday.

Warmest regards,

Joe

• Like 1

Roger/twistedcrankcammer,

I'd like to thank you again for the above help in explaining what goes on at the gathering. I so want to go but really have to see how I can make it happen.

As much as I would love to take the bass bins, I sadly think it's too much of a commitment and size issue to come get them and set them up. I think I can manage the specfied Jubilee speakers for the room that I have now and would cetainly get more use/enjoyment out of them in my current listening room.

You guys are AWESOME. I so very much appreciate all the info and help you have and are giving me. I am still trying to digest what I see here and will strongly consider active crossovers as well.

I am excited at the thought of actually hearing these in person someday.

Warmest regards,

Joe

Hey Joe!

Let's make it happen! Both Jubilees for you AND the Gathering!

Best wishes for you and your Mom dude!

My phone number is (419)-231-5494 if you want to ask any questions or just stay in touch till April, but give it several days, I think my battery destroyed my phone and I need to go in and see what can be done!

Cheers!... Roger

Thank you Roger. I'll call late next week.

Thank you for your well wishes. I appreciate that very much. You guys are amazing.

So would anyone consider the Jubilee speakers forward or bright in the treble? Just right? Can anyone describe the sound vs. the Cornwall III's that I used to own? I thought the Cornwalls were a touch aggressive but never bothered me.

I tend to be sensitive to too much HF and it can be irritating to me.

I'll be calling both companies you guys recommended to me and see how the process goes.

I'll keep you guys updated if/when I pull the trigger.

Edited by joeinid

I have had 2 set of cornwalls, and a pair of model 19's,with fairly expensive crossovers. The 19's are so much better I wouldn't compare the 2, the jubilees are so much better than my M19's I wouldn't compare these 2 either... Imagine a wall of powerful clean sound with very little distortion, with some recordings its breathtaking. The K402 is a marvel, when I turn my high amps off, (I am biamping) with most music I listen to, the bass bin is hardly working. The wall of sound is huge, with some recordings they best my friends JBL M9500's.... With the stock k69 they can be a little intense in some bandwidths being a little forward, but, remember this driver is very inexpensive, and I am sure on a budget, KING ROY DID THE BEST HE COULD, AND  A GREAT JOB HE DID!!!!! KUDOS TO THE MAN WITH SUCH VISION!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ya know Joe, I'm not sure it's been said (although your preference has been inferred)

In the world of Roy (who co-designed these), active is where it's at.

It allows you to align the signal so you are getting as clean of a presentation as you can get.

There are certainly nay-sayers to active crossovers and they're certainly due their opinion.  It IS a bit steeper hill to climb but know that I (speaking only for myself) had never been exposed to biamping and active crossovers.  I made the switch overnight.  I even went so far as to make some of my own connections (I won't get into me reversing some of those wires!!)

Although these will certainly play "loud", what they really do in my opinion is play "big".  I'm listening to them right now.  I had my RS db meter out and they were peaking at 92/94 db's.  I don't know what that means my true average is but here's my point.  If you have a pair of Heresy's or Cornwalls or LaScalas or heck, some Panasonic Thrusters, all of those might also hit 92/94 db peaks.  The difference to me is they are busting along to do so whereas the larger speakers are still loafing.  (kind of like going 90 MPH in a 1972 VW beetle verses a 2010 Camaro.  The Camaro is almost idling along whereas the VW is beating its heart out.

Also, the spread of sound...  (looking for the picture)

Well, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for but I think it will show the same.  The Jubilee has what I think Roy calls a constant coverage design (or something like that).  Look at the wider bands where the sound plays out more like a floodlight.  Other designs have a more narrow output.

In both cases, the sound at the apex might be 92/94 db's but, once you walk to the side, the smaller speakers fall off whereas the larger speakers keep more of the sound.

I don't know for sure but it's my thought that this is one reason why some of these simply sound "bigger" even if they are not necessarily playing more loud.

You just need to catch a plan to Knoxville.  I'll pick you up and return you to the airport.  You could knock out a solid audition and be home inside a month!  (it would take me that long to pry the remote from your hands)   :o

post-12967-0-51580000-1449424695_thumb.g

• Like 2

Richard,

Ha!

You are too funny.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand what you are describing and I think that is EXACTLY what I am looking for in a pair of speakers.

Of course I would consider and use the active crossover. Why go half way? Right? :D

I would love to hear your setup. You might spoil me. I'll have to see how long the post office will forward my mail. I'm just sayin' :ph34r:

What active crossover are you using? I am looking into them now to see my options.

Is anyone using a tube crossover?

Thanks !

Joe

Edited by joeinid

Ok,

I reached out to both American Cinema and Panacea Engineering and am waiting for a response. I will follow up with a phone call Mon/Tue and try and nail everything down so I can make a decision.

Richard,

You recommended TAD 4002 drivers for the K402 horns, has anyone used them? Is it worth the cost of upgrade? I only plan on doing this once, although I gues I could always updrade the drives at some point, if necessary.

Thanks!

Joe

Edited by joeinid

Is it worth the cost of upgrade? I only plan on doing this once, although I gues I could always updrade the drives at some point, if necessary.

Worth it is up to the individual.

In my opinion, if you did an A/B bindfolded and were asked to tell the difference when they were playing side by side (one at a time), I think you could probably pick out the TAD version over 90% of the time.

I'm not so sure that "I" could walk into a room and say "Ah HAH!  You are using the TAD's" but side by side it's pretty easy.

There are probably (guessing) 10 or so that have them.  I'm unaware of anyone ever selling them to go back to any other driver other than .....  me!  But, I had some medical bills to pay and felt the TAD's had high density of value so I sold them, went back to the K69 and later on, rebought them.

With the active crossover, the nice thing is you can just reprogram it.  With a passive, you have to rebuild it.  Marion (Rigma) has as I recall, about $3,000 in his cost no object crossover for his.  He swapped out for the TAD's and spent another $3,000 for the changes (he spared no expense on either version, both I'm guessing could be done for less)

However, the point is, those with an active simply punched in new values and called it a day.

Here's something Mark1101 posted.

These were voiced originally with an EV-Dx38.  Mark has sung the praises of getting an active with the most outputs you can and today, I agree.

If I set everything up today, I would benefit by having a 4 in, 8 out active.  Two in, four out for the two Jubilee's.  One more in, two more out for a center JubeScala and another in and two more outs for two subs. 

As it is, I have two Dx38's.  Good news is they specifically can be had fairly inexpensive on Ebay whereas getting another (good) one will cost $1,000 and up.

joeinid,

I would disagree with Chris, and agree more with Richard on this one!

I have been fortunate enough to hear both drivers  at the flip of a switch, but I would say in that scenario, I at least would be able to say this one sounds better to me and therefore it is the TAD driver 100% of the time, but just walking into a room and hearing Jubilees, I don't think I could automatically pick out which driver was playing as they are both excellent performers.

The thing to remember here is at this price point, we get to diminishing returns on our investment, but at the same time, it is one of those things you will lust after if you don't have it once you realize that there is a clear auditable improvement!

Don't open Pandora's box if you can't afford to play as you will never know what you are missing!

Also wondering joeinid, if you are going to splurge on the wood veneer beauty panel of your choosing?

Roger

Thank you guys. I realize I need to get in and get it going. I don't want to complicate everything. I think there is a modest upgrade on on the horn driver for not much money and going with an active crossover should not be too complicated.

I'll know more when I get ahold of Panacea Engineering and/or American Cinema.

Thanks !

Eventhough the modest amount of DIY, while not difficult, is more than I was hoping to do, I think with everyone here, I'll be fine :D

Edited by joeinid

I simply disagree with Richard this time around. It's like night and day...it's not close. 

Chris

Go easy on me, I did give over a 90% success rate of telling them apart when blindfolded!! 

We all know what a dummy I am.  :)

:emotion-22: :emotion-22:

• Like 1

Along with what Roger said....be aware that some here are far more critical (and capable) listeners than I am.

I've been known to have an air compressor, pneumatic nailer and other tools in my hands while also wearing hearing protection while listening.

I have more beer & peanuts ears when it comes to listening verses perhaps a more focused and refined wine & cheese set of ears.

I don't know where you'd fall if you prefer Diet Coke.

• Like 2

Also wondering joeinid, if you are going to splurge on the wood veneer beauty panel of your choosing?

One in cherry, walnut and I'm not sure about the third.  Probably Walnut (?)

Of course, along with the ever-slimming black.

post-12967-0-44700000-1449447397_thumb.j

post-12967-0-90820000-1449447450_thumb.j

post-12967-0-23860000-1449447498_thumb.j

post-12967-0-11340000-1449447586_thumb.j