What a difference a good amp makes !

JTG

I received and hooked up my Yamaha A-S501 today. It replaced a Denon DRA697ci. The sound quality of the Yamaha is so much better than the Denon. I don't know if it is a fluke, but the Denon was like listening through a closed window. The sound difference blew me away. I really thought that you couldn't go wrong with Denon, but that DRA 697 sucks. It is lifeless on the high and lows; and congested in the mid range. I couldn't stand to listen to my new RP280's until today. I would like to thank Willland for recommending the Yamaha. 

• Like 5

I received and hooked up my Yamaha A-S501 today. It replaced a Denon DRA697ci. The sound quality of the Yamaha is so much better than the Denon. I don't know if it is a fluke, but the Denon was like listening through a closed window. The sound difference blew me away. I really thought that you couldn't go wrong with Denon, but that DRA 697 sucks. It is lifeless on the high and lows; and congested in the mid range. I couldn't stand to listen to my new RP280's until today. I would like to thank Willland for recommending the Yamaha. 

Sorry to hear that your Denon did not float your boat.

Very glad to hear that something I suggested is working out for you.  I am usually hesitant to suggest something that I have not owned or used but considering the fact that I have been so pleased with my Yamaha integrated amp that the gamble was worth it.

What would you say is the most noticeable difference between the Yamaha and the Denon?  More punch, detail, soundstage?

Bill

• Like 1

I have a Yamaha rx v677 receiver. I'm pretty happy with sound and I listen to music all the time. I also have the RP 280f and I do know my receiver pumps about 90w per channel but we all know that's not always accurate. The towers handle 150w/600w so I've been looking into emotiva xpa-200. Claims of 150w per channel. Two channel driven. So I was looking into some input since I plan to bi amp and send more power to towers. Thing is I'm not sure if to hook bottom post to emotiva amp or top post to amp. Low being the woofers and top the highs.

Sometimes its not just a good amp, but system synergy. I had a pair of spectron 2's in my system the other day, biamping, one for the highs and one for  the lows.  They couldn't even come close to competing with a pany saxr on the highs and a Yamaha MX 1000u on the lows. I was shocked, as were the other parties involved. The Spectrons were in for about 5 minutes, that's how night and day the difference was. Now Spectron 2's are good amps, and should run circles around the pany and  the Yamaha amp...They just weren't a good fit...

• Like 1

I have a Yamaha rx v677 receiver. I'm pretty happy with sound and I listen to music all the time. I also have the RP 280f and I do know my receiver pumps about 90w per channel but we all know that's not always accurate. The towers handle 150w/600w so I've been looking into emotiva xpa-200. Claims of 150w per channel. Two channel driven. So I was looking into some input since I plan to bi amp and send more power to towers. Thing is I'm not sure if to hook bottom post to emotiva amp or top post to amp. Low being the woofers and top the highs.

Welcome to the  new guys and good to hear things are sounding good.  If you are considering passive Bi-amping, it is not superior to just the standard speaker hookup.  Now, active Bi-amping is a different beast all together

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the  new guys and good to hear things are sounding good.  If you are considering passive Bi-amping, it is not superior to just the standard speaker hookup.  Now, active Bi-amping is a different beast all together

I didn't know there was passive and active bi amping. Whats the difference. By the way I'm looking into getting yamaha Rx A2050 and i read it has bi amp mode.. how does that work..bi amping from same receiver . appreciate some guidance.

Passive bi-amping sends the same full strength signal to the woofer and tweeter.  The tweeter may only need 3 or 4 watts and the woofer may need 60-80 watts.  All the excess power sent to the tweeter is wasted as heat in the passive XO.  Active bi-amping with an electronic XO can send the tweeter just the 3 or 4 watts and the woofer more watts.  You can also time align the drivers,  set cut off filters with appropriate slopes, etc.  This is the way serious audiophile bi-amp.

Edited by derrickdj1

You can't really compare a 10 year old lower lever Receiver to any decent Integrated amp.  Even the flagship AVRs of today can't do that. They may get close in some areas, but its usually just not going to happen. Congrats on the new clean power as it seems Willand just made a believer out of another member.