Just something to give some thought to

staygroovybaby

I get what Thebes said in his post. To me it was more about how marketing kept beating a dead horse with re-re-releases of the same stuff over and over again to generate more money.

Never was a big Beatles fan,but grew up listening to them. Never thought they were a rock group (even though for the times they were) and more of a pop group, but have always respected what they did for music. Same with Michael Jackson and Nirvana for me. I thought they were OK, but respect what they did for music. Not into rap, unless it's from then 80's, or the "updated R&B", but have always respected what Mary J Blige has done for music.

As for critical listening, I think at least 80-90% of people don't listen critically. I know I just "learned" how to listen critically in the last year. But that doesn't take away what we hear from music. If that were grounds for a discussion, then you could also argue that the critical listener doesn't really "hear" the music while listening to SS, but once he uses tube gear, then he can "hear" the music.

All I do is listen critically now, I am a musician what can I say.

When I was a child my mothers favorite band was The Beatles. Needless to say I hated them from having to hear it almost everyday. Then I got a guitar and started studying music........and smoking dope :D       Ah now I get it!!!  Those guys are genius no matter if they suit your musical taste or not. From 20 years of music theory and ear training I can't just listen to music anymore, it doesn't happen, I don't know if it's a curse or a gift. Even intense improv music I just sit there and analyze the scales and time counts. Same with gear, he switched to the neck pickup or he boosted the treble or blah blah blah  I ruined music for myself :D

The thing about sentiments like the OP has is that it is a two way street.  If you're going to go down this route you have to consider the talent and musical ideas and not just what music you happen to like.  

Consider Metallica, specifically Orion.  The structure is simply genius, especially the bass guitar.  

aeolian mode, switching to phrygian mode.  

minor to harmonic minor scale changes

diatonic-modal framework. 

generally speaking a bass solo that's so insane that most people think is a normal guitar. 

written by a classically trained pianist who was an expert in music theory

So, can you hear it?  I have no doubt that most Beatles fans would dog Metallica.  Let's consider the bass players alone though.  

The first below is bass solos and famous riffs from three different songs from Paul.  

Below is the bass-only on Orion alone.  Pay attention at 6:36.  

Now, you know as well as I do that Beatles fans would be quick to dog Metallica and the like, but that's based on nothing but what kind of music they enjoy, not based on talent, composition intelligence, original music ideas, or anything along those lines.  I've heard this stuff so much from my dad but you've got to keep an open mind if you want other guys to.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I understand your reaction to hearing the Belles. I see it all the time when people sit and listen to music on the klipsch top four. Its the music that moves you, and its the equipment that blows you away. I am sure some will chime in with their snide comments.

Remember 

Emerson Lake and Palmer  c'est la vie

​I wish everyone the best and hope all find their music Nirvana.