Is the Emotiva xpa-200 enough to drive the RF-7 1 series?

Hey_wayne

For months I've been on the search for a pair of pre-owned Klipsch RF-82s for $500 or less, and have had no luck. Well this week, I have found a pair of RF-7 (first series) for $600. For only $100 more than the price I've been waiting for, I figure this is a no brainier for me.

My concern is my current system will not have enough power to drive them. I am currently running a Marantz SR6003 AVR as a preamp and using an Emotiva XPA-200 as an amp. The Emo pushed 150 WPC @ 8 ohms.

Unfortunately my budget to upgrade Amps is essentially non-existent. What do you think klipsch, should I take the jump?

Edited by Hey_wayne

I think an XPA-2 will be a decent amp with RF-7's.  You are miles ahead from just using an AVR, although I don't know if the RF-7's had the nasty impedance swings like my RF-83's had.  I recently bought some used Emotiva stuff (ebay and audiogon) and have been very impressed with it.  I have no doubt that amp is conservatively rated.

I also think that's a decent price if the RF-7's are in good condition.  I think I sold my RF-82's for $400.  I personally would pay the extra $100-150 to get RF-7's if they're in good shape.  The RF-82's are nice speakers for the money too, but I wouldn't pay more than $380 for them to be honest.  RF-7's will be made in Hope versus China too.

I think an XPA-2 will be a decent amp with RF-7's.  You are miles ahead from just using an AVR, although I don't know if the RF-7's had the nasty impedance swings like my RF-83's had.  I recently bought some used Emotiva stuff (ebay and audiogon) and have been very impressed with it.  I have no doubt that amp is conservatively rated.

I also think that's a decent price if the RF-7's are in good condition.  I think I sold my RF-82's for $400.  I personally would pay the extra $100-150 to get RF-7's if they're in good shape.  The RF-82's are nice speakers for the money too, but I wouldn't pay more than $380 for them to be honest.  RF-7's will be made in Hope versus China too.

He doesn't have an XPA-2, he has an XPA-200. Not nearly as powerful as the XPA-2. Personally I think it will be ample to power them, not nearly powerful to overwhelm yourself with sound though.

I think an XPA-2 will be a decent amp with RF-7's. You are miles ahead from just using an AVR, although I don't know if the RF-7's had the nasty impedance swings like my RF-83's had. I recently bought some used Emotiva stuff (ebay and audiogon) and have been very impressed with it. I have no doubt that amp is conservatively rated.

I also think that's a decent price if the RF-7's are in good condition. I think I sold my RF-82's for $400. I personally would pay the extra $100-150 to get RF-7's if they're in good shape. The RF-82's are nice speakers for the money too, but I wouldn't pay more than $380 for them to be honest. RF-7's will be made in Hope versus China too.

FYI I'm using the XPA-200, which is different from the XPA-2

• Like 1

Hey_wayne, 

1 - Welcome to the forum.  

2 - Don't be a tight a$s like many here and

3 - Gather up the necessary 6 Ben Franklins and go get them RF-7's

4 - Don't worry, because either that AVR alone, or with the XPA-200, will be fine for them (in the short term)

5 - If you feel the need to blast 'em, then buy more power later

Just because they are rated at 250wpc / 1000w peak, doesn't mean that it is required.

I ran 7's, 5's, a RC-7 center, and even a y-splitter for 2-15" subs off a 100wpc - $100 Pioneeer VSX-D411 avr for a long time.

The neighbors across the street would just give a shrugging look when I was putting it too them.

Amps are available ALL the time, speakers are NOT.

• Like 1

Sorry, misread the post!  I think it'll still do a decent job.  I used my AVR for my RF-83's which were pretty demanding and it sounded OK.  Granted, I heard a difference when I switched to a separate amp.  If Emotiva says they are 150 watts, I bet this means with both channels driven at full bandwidth.  I'd rather have too much power, but if I was on a constrained budget, I'd be very happy with an XPA-200.

He doesn't have an XPA-2, he has an XPA-200. Not nearly as powerful as the XPA-2. Personally I think it will be ample to power them, not nearly powerful to overwhelm yourself with sound though.

• Like 1