Another F-20 Build

Pete H

Pete, I've used the line "ain't building pianos" a dozen times since I read your post. Words to live by. Make mistakes, learn from them and move on. I am in the process of building two 25hz tapped horns and did the first one so I could tweak the second once I get smarter. Well the first one went off without a hitch. I thought the second one would be a snap. I guess I got lazy and didn't force the panels into the dados tight enough because I cant get the top (side) on now. Time to redo! Good thing it wasn't a piano. I guess I can use it for mouse races.

attachicon.gifbadtap.jpg

Anxious to hear your A/B comparison.

So what's the fix?  was it the top panel that was off?  I hope to put a dent in my second one Sunday and hope it goes a lot quicker.

Pete, any fix I came up with was more work than recutting. The mistake was in the corner of the maze where the woofer is. I could try to plane down the section that sticks up too high but that is where the woofer is and there isn't enough room to plane as the fit "should have been" snug. I cut these on a cnc router and still have the file, so it will only cost me a 4' x 4' piece of mdf which isn't much. It was only frustrating because I have the first one finished and love it but it has trouble keeping up with my Belles on its own. Now that the holidays are over, I will start back at it.

it has trouble keeping up with my Belles on its own

You may need a quad of these then.  They give up output for extension and relatively small size.  No free lunch you know.

I only went with this design due to space restrictions and four wont fit. It is a 13x26 room and I really cant push the Belles that hard. If they were being maxed out, yea, four would be in order. I built these more as a fun project than an end all sound system. I hope to build a music room in my basement eventually and that is why I am anxious to hear Pete's A/B on the F20 vs DR as that is one of the ways I was thinking about going. These tapped horns will work great with my set of Heresy's that I rebuilt a couple years ago. Like many here, I get bored if there isn't some sawdust flying somewhere.

It's like an infection.  I have so many parts and drivers laying around that I need to stop purchasing and come up with a build that will utilize some of the things that I have.  Oh no, it's starting again, what can I do with 8 15's  LOL

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting the T-nuts mounted

post-32129-0-39260000-1453813878_thumb.jpost-32129-0-01700000-1453813908_thumb.j

Same as the first one, used the driver as the guide to drill the holes, set the t nuts with gorilla glue then used the screws and washers to final seat the t nuts into their final position and let the glue cure for 24 hours.

I'm always scared that the surround will hit the t-nuts and grind down everything that sticks out over the hole.  I also use a roundover bit and router on the driver side of the panel but I'm weird that way.

I like the turntable idea.  I've used caster dolly's in the past as I'm constantly moving it so the wife can park in the garage.

I'm always scared that the surround will hit the t-nuts and grind down everything that sticks out over the hole. I also use a roundover bit and router on the driver side of the panel but I'm weird that way.
I ground them off too although I think it's impossible for that to happen because the surround actually doesn't expand any further  (width wise) from it's resting position when it's moving in or out.  But like you, I still feel better when the nuts aren't sticking out.  They should make nuts that are like that in the first place for these applications.  I really like the gasket/caulking I got from parts express, it seems to seal up the driver very well.

it has trouble keeping up with my Belles on its own

You may need a quad of these then.  They give up output for extension and relatively small size.  No free lunch you know.

I only went with this design due to space restrictions and four wont fit. It is a 13x26 room and I really cant push the Belles that hard. If they were being maxed out, yea, four would be in order. I built these more as a fun project than an end all sound system. I hope to build a music room in my basement eventually and that is why I am anxious to hear Pete's A/B on the F20 vs DR as that is one of the ways I was thinking about going. These tapped horns will work great with my set of Heresy's that I rebuilt a couple years ago. Like many here, I get bored if there isn't some sawdust flying somewhere.

Mooki.e.- Carl turned me on to these and I built two of them to go with my Heresy's. I later used them with a set of LaScala's. They will work fine at low to medium listening levels once you start turning the dial past 9:00 those tapped horns won't keep up or at least that was my experience with my LaScala's .

Messed up my second cabinet and have not gotten back to it yet, but based on what one is able to accomplish, I think I will be just fine once the second one is introduced. It is a small room (14 x 22) and I am only driving my Belles with an 80w NAD integrated amp. I am using the Dayton 230w sub amp for the tapped horns. If I go to a bigger room, it may be more of an issue. I just wanted to build something and these fit in the room. They could very well end up with my Heresy's too.

• Like 1

Pete I may have missed it. The f20 you have now is that one going to be the equipment rack? Have you moved it inside yet to hear the difference vs being in your shop?

The one I'm finishing now will become the equipment rack and the one that is done and in the shop will be delivered to Allentown, Pa. next week.  I'm going to work hard on it tomorrow and hopefully have it primed and painted tomorrow if I get it running this evening and then I will take it inside, well I also need to build the grill for the mouth so the cats don't use it as a play house.  The more time I spend with it, the more I like it and that's even in the shop.  I might have to make another one just to keep out there. :D

• Like 1

post-32129-0-67900000-1453839205_thumb.j Is this that?  Sounds strange but darn it that's my question.  For some strange reason, this is the only file I have on it, just the side shot.  What I need is to pick up another high output amp and cart the 115's out and run them, but they sound like crap unless you're feeding them power.  They were very acceptable with the QSC hooked up to them, but I like that on the 7's.  Where's the rest of the plans for the garage bins and what drivers did you use? 

This is what you need for the garage Pete.