Palladium P17-b - Holy cr@p, blown away once again ......

joeinid

I wasn't supposed to see these until Tuesday, next week but, I had them held for pick up and as luck would have it. I received a phone call to come get them. I couldn't wait.

Hooked them up on the same stands that I have, just to get them cooking.

OMG! These are some serious speakers.

Tremendous in the room presence, they play way bigger and go lower than their size/specs would suggest. I am in complete awe once again.  I just can not believe it.

Please, please, please do not mention the floor standing P39-F speakers to me, I'll die.

post-62038-0-22080000-1452391472_thumb.j

• Like 4

I am sorry to say, but the P17-b are way better.

The RP160M hold their own and are amazing for $440 (current special) but the sound stage size, depth, width, height and overall quality of the Palladium is head and shoulders above. As it should be.

I never would have guessed that these speakers would deliver this kind of sound. Breathtaking.

• Like 1

Thank you so much guys. I am in complete awe of what I am hearing. I had them hooked up to my Bryston 28bsst2 amps for the day and now switched to a pair of McIntosh MC75 reissue amps. I freaking love these speakers.

Congrats! I've always wanted to try a pair out, bet they sound as good as they look.

Stunning, they look absolutely stunning. I can only imagine how pleased you are with them. Very very nice!

Congrats very nice.

Edited by joeinid

Congrats Joe, they look very nice. I had a feeling the P17s would outshine the RP160s.

Just curious, are these for 2 channel listening, or for HT use?

Thank you. 2 channel music listening only. I'm not much of an HT guy. I love to have music playing almost all the time.

Very very nice.

They are beauties.

IMO, there is something special about a rocking pair of "bookshelf" speakers.

Are you still planning on pairing these to a future purchase A-S3000?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm still committed to the Yamaha A-S3000 and want it badly. I just saw a review of some B&W speakers and wouldn't you know it, the A-S3000 and companion CD player was driving them. I nearly fell on the floor. The reviewer loved the combination and in particular, the Yamaha. That sealed it for me. I hope to order in the next month or two.

Please, please, please do not mention the floor standing P39-F speakers to me, I'll die.
rest easy I've heard from a couple klipsch reps that say the p-17 is about 95% of the p-39. a lot of extra money for 5% performance increase. indeed they are great bookshelves. 

I am sorry to say, but the P17-b are way better.   The RP160M hold their own and are amazing for $440 (current special) but the sound stage size, depth, width, height and overall quality of the Palladium is head and shoulders above. As it should be.   I never would have guessed that these speakers would deliver this kind of sound. Breathtaking.
funny but their are a lot of people who are on here that think the palladiums suck. i think they are fantastic speakers at the price you paid. now had i payed full price for my stuff i wouldnt have been as happy.

Thanks Scrappydue,

I was EXTREMELY lucky with the purchases. basically 1/2 price on the P17-b's is a steal. I am very happy and so surprised how room filling they sound. Just a wonderful immersive sound and definitely a smoother tweeter.

I love my Klipsch. :wub2::emotion-25:

• Like 2

rest easy I've heard from a couple klipsch reps that say the p-17 is about 95% of the p-39. a lot of extra money for 5% performance increase. indeed they are great bookshelves.

By my calculations, that puts the 160's only 10% behind the P-39's! ;)
well that's only based on some Klipsch reps. I however have experience with the p-17 and Rp-160 and I don't feel as strongly as the op on the difference. I take price out of the equation as I got insane deals on both sets. And I demo a/b on same gear. Me and a few other guys all listened in the sweet spot and felt the 160's held their own very well. 17's are definitely better. A little bit in every way. But I feel price should be justified in the end and I did not feel like the palladiums were 7-8 times better. That's how much more they are msrp.

BUT at 1550 palladiums are outstanding bookshelves. Prolly the best I've ever heard

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Funny how a "bookshelf" speaker can hold it's own pretty well against a flagship floorstander but 95% seems a a tiny bit exaggerated to me.  IMO, a more realistic comparison would be a P-17B's/P-312W combo vs. the P-37F's without a sub. I bet that would be pretty close to neck and neck.  I feel the same about my RB-75's/RSW-10d combo against my RF-63's, pretty darn close match.

Bill

• Like 4

Funny how a "bookshelf" speaker can hold it's own pretty well against a flagship floorstander but 95% seems a a tiny bit exaggerated to me.  IMO, a more realistic comparison would be a P-17B's/P-312W combo vs. the P-37F's without a sub. I bet that would be pretty close to neck and neck.  I feel the same about my RB-75's/RSW-10d combo against my RF-63's, pretty darn close match.

Bill

Post of the day!

i can get how you could think its exaggerated.  but if we are talking adding a sub in the mix to fill in the low end sounds like you are talking 35-80hz. 35-80z out of 35-20,000z seems like a pretty small chunk. so was not skeptical when he said that it was close in comparison. i can only imagine you would be able to tell them apart in large rooms at higher volumes. 

i can get how you could think its exaggerated.

Funny how a "bookshelf" speaker can hold it's own pretty well against a flagship floorstander

That quote was somewhat validating what the reps said.

but 95% seems a a tiny bit exaggerated to me.

I stand by my opinion. ;)   :D  95% is a huge percentage. :o   As many on this forum claim(including you and I), bigger is better, then that alone should discount that 95% as somewhat of an exaggeration.

My original comment was not to provoke an argument, I just find it hard to believe such a huge percentage of 95%, that's all.

Bill

Edited by willland