Help Correcting Noise in Tube Amp

Gorm

So I found out that my new house furnace is producing noise when it ignites.

The furnace was is a 95% efficiency and so far has worked great. However, when it starts and ignites the spark, a whole bunch of static comes onto my tube equipment.

I did buy and install a power conditioner. This did not seem to help.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? I can't help but think its going to eventually damage the equipment if I do not correct it.

Thanks!!!

From your description the furnace uses an "intermittent spark" ignitor.  Is your system directly above the furnace?  If so, it's possible that the broad spectrum RF generated could be picked up by your speaker wires.  What happens if you disconnect all sources from the amp?  Do you have a pair of headphones you could connect in place of the speakers?  Also, you say this is a new furnace.  Has this problem been present since it was installed, or did it develop after?  Is it possible that the installers forgot to connect the ground wire?

Maynard  

Is it possible that the installers forgot to connect the ground wire?

If they forgot, or skimped, they should come out and do it, no charge.  Was it inspected?

RF is a possibility.

How loud is it?

Edited by garyrc

Is it possible that the installers forgot to connect the ground wire?

If they forgot, or skimped, they should come out and do it, no charge.  Was it inspected?

RF is a possibility.

How loud is it?

I'm probably going to check myself. It was installed by a professional HVAC company, but it wouldn't shock me if it isn't grounded properly. ;)

From your description the furnace uses an "intermittent spark" ignitor.  Is your system directly above the furnace?  If so, it's possible that the broad spectrum RF generated could be picked up by your speaker wires.  What happens if you disconnect all sources from the amp?  Do you have a pair of headphones you could connect in place of the speakers?  Also, you say this is a new furnace.  Has this problem been present since it was installed, or did it develop after?  Is it possible that the installers forgot to connect the ground wire?

Maynard  

There are a couple things that make me think it is not RF.

1. The speakers and system are located on the other side of the house from the furnace / water heater area.

2. I can also here the static on my tube DAC via my computer speakers.

I did check the grounds. I'm not sure if something fishy is going on here or not. The wires look like the 12 gauge that comes out of my fuse box. However, the ground wire looks like 14 gauge. Going to make shift a continuity test here shortly.

Also, it does not appear to be the amp at this point. I tried to replicate the issue several times and it will only reproduce when I connect the tube dac to it.

Perhaps the tube dac is the source? Perhaps my interconnects are picking up the noise because the are too close to the power wire?

Maynard

I like the idea of taking the speaker wire out of the equation. Maybe the wires for the headphones will act as an antenna but I'd think that will be to a lesser extent.

I'd also suggest using an A.M. broadcast radio placed near the unit and near the furnace. Sony Tap Tunes and some personal radios such as the Walkman type have A.M. band receivers. This will let us ascertain whether it is a matter of radio frequency interference being broadcast by the ignitor system and causing the issue.

A car radio set to receive A.M., if not too far away, might detect it, too.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD