Triplanar Arm

jcmusic

why don't you just play with the setup and dial it in better and then adjust the load compensation that ought to make for a significant improvement. only cost will be your time. clean all your connections in the signal path and all your power connection as well.

Why don't you reread the question!!! I know you are probably just trying to help but, cleaning the connections has nothing to do with cart. selection and neither does playing with the setup!!!

look to the soundsmith line... I have the aida with ruby tipping and it is spectacular. The LFE it can pick up is stunning and very surreal.

As a matter of fact, I might have it for sale... I am trying to sell my classic 2 and would probably sell the cart also after the TT sells. I am going to move to another set up.

16834483025_feaa34384a_o.jpg

VPI and soundsmith are very good together and many of the parts each manufacture are actually made for each other.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

why don't you just play with the setup and dial it in better and then adjust the load compensation that ought to make for a significant improvement. only cost will be your time. clean all your connections in the signal path and all your power connection as well.

Why don't you reread the question!!! I know you are probably just trying to help but, cleaning the connections has nothing to do with cart. selection and neither does playing with the setup!!!

my response does address your post "Just wanting a lil more detail if possible." as you can see. What I suggested should probably result is a substantial improvement and it won't cost you a dime. You are very wrong clean contacts proper allignment and proper load compensation have an enormous affect upon the sound of a cartridge. If you don't know that you are wasting your time. You seem to be wound up like an old spring clock. Calm down or it won't make any difference what cartridge you purchase because if you mount it and set it up in your present frame of mind it won't sound any better than what you have now. And just so that you don't get all twisted in a knot because I did not address your concerns in precisely the way you wanted them addressed, the ADC XLM Mk ll is a fabulous cartridge superb tracker excellent sound you can find them for very little used and to prove they are so good excellent after market tips (several types of tip profiles are on the market) are available for very reasonable prices. There ya go have a nice cup/pot of chamomile tea it's very relaxing.

• Like 1

my response does address your post "Just wanting a lil more detail if possible." as you can see. What I suggested should probably result is a substantial improvement and it won't cost you a dime. You are very wrong clean contacts proper allignment and proper load compensation have an enormous affect upon the sound of a cartridge. If you don't know that you are wasting your time. You seem to be wound up like an old spring clock. Calm down or it won't make any difference what cartridge you purchase because if you mount it and set it up in your present frame of mind it won't sound any better than what you have now. And just so that you don't get all twisted in a knot because I did not address your concerns in precisely the way you wanted them addressed, the ADC XLM Mk ll is a fabulous cartridge superb tracker excellent sound you can find them for very little used and to prove they are so good excellent after market tips (several types of tip profiles are on the market) are available for very reasonable prices. There ya go have a nice cup/pot of chamomile tea it's very relaxing.

I also found your response slightly odd.  How would you know his contacts aren't clean and that his setup is not already optimized?  With the money he has into his arm and cartridge I would bet it is nuts on.  He also seems to be looking into options quite a bit out of the ADC league, as his current dynavector is already much better,  and he is looking at MC cartridges to boot. 

I also found your response slightly odd.  How would you know his contacts aren't clean and that his setup is not already optimized?  With the money he has into his arm and cartridge I would bet it is nuts on.  He also seems to be looking into options quite a bit out of the ADC league, as his current dynavector is already much better,  and he is looking at MC cartridges to boot. 

Thank you oh soo much!!! Exactly and more to the point I have a new Redpoint model D tt to go with the Triplanar arm!!! So yes I have quite a bit of money in my setup and just so he knows I used a Mint Protractor for my setup and it is dead nuts. I am looking for a match for the arm in the output range i stated!!!

how many people do you know including yourself who regularly clean their contacts and power connects ever? How many of you cleaned the contact pins on your new cartridge and your existing female connect on your tone arm when you installed your last new cartridg? When was the last time you cleaned the RCA interconnects from your TT to your preamp and preamp to amplifier? My experience is most people never or rarely do so.

Don't kid yourself the ADC XLM Mk ll is a fine cartridge and few are in the same league. List for me the cartridges that can track superbly well (on an appropriate arm) at weights of one gram and less? Tracking at this weight requires a low mass tonearm like the Infinity Black Widow and you can run an XLK at 3/4 of a gram.and it will sound good. For higher mass tonearms ADC built other Versions so you can still use this excellent design. I would personally take an XLM Mk ll over a Dynvector but each to his own.

The OP said that he was "looking for a little more detail" and what I suggest first with contact cleaning will do exactly that and for a lot less than for the cost of a new cartridge. I did not say he should not purchase a new cartridge I simply made a point which was directed at the OP's own comment. Two members have mentioned two nice cartridges. I did post a like on Schu's post about the Soundsmith but that seems to have gone unnoticed. I too find your response slightly odd.

• Like 1

Thank you oh soo much!!! Exactly and more to the point I have a new Redpoint model D tt to go with the Triplanar arm!!! So yes I have quite a bit of money in my setup and just so he knows I used a Mint Protractor for my setup and it is dead nuts. I am looking for a match for the arm in the output range i stated!!!

Is this all for real? Have a nice day.

I am using a Dyna 20x now and like it. Just wanting a lil more detail if possible...

Part of the issue may lie in the puzzling specs for the 20X -- Needle Doctor seems to say it comes in two models, one with an output of 0.3 mv and the other 2.8 mv.  The 0.3 may be a bit low for some phono stages.  Some preamps don't sound their best at that low level.  The other, 2.8 mv, is on the high side for a MC, and higher-output MC carts have always sounded a little opaque to me.  The 2.8 mv model could cause some preamps to ride the bottom of the volume control range, also not so good.

Travis makes a good recommendation in a Transfiguration.  Just note that some of those also have 0.3 mv output levels.

Edited by LarryC