Upgrading Home Theater Speaker System

ajgale1975

Wow. I came here looking for advice, and you were kind of to give it and when I don't take said advice you become jerks? Firstly I have been in IT for over 20 years and did plenty of research. I didn't take one mans advice. I weighed EVERYONEs advice, my room, my budget and made a decision that I thought was best for me. Seems there some egos in this room.

Twisted, you should really understand the people you talk about before making a comment. And BTW he has 2 home theaters in his house filled with Klipsch speakers and one of if not largest Klipsch dealer. If he was just trying to make money he would recommended the most expensive he could find.

But that being said I appreciate everyone's ADVICE. Thank you very much.

Edited by ajgale1975
  • Like 1

Scrappy I appreciate the advice but you obviously missed the point. Thank you again.,

We are very passionate about setting these things up here and while it seems harsh its because many here have made the mistakes and simply dont want someone to make the same mistake without at least some protest. The reason Scrappy was so adamant about the sub is due the nature of your room. While your mains and center etc beam sound at you your sub pressurizes the entire room as a single entity. That is why your sub sees your living room, dining room and hall as a single room and it takes a LOT of air movement to get good bass which a 15'' can do it a similar footprint that a 12'' which will more likely start to distort due to cranking the amp up. I bought a sub from a guy with a similar open floor plan and he had 2 sealed 15'' subs and it was less bass than my single sub in a dedicated theater room that is much smaller.

Setup Tip:

Whatever sub you get, when it arrives first hook it up and place the subwoofer on your couch where you usually sit and play some bass heavy music. Get on your hands and knees and crawl around the room until you feel the bass sounds the best and that is where you should put your sub. It will most likely be in a different spot that you expect and you may need to compromise a little for a feasible location that is out of the way and is able to be wired to your receiver. (Looking at your blueprint, directly in the middle of the window along the wall would actually be a decent location)

BTW if you are decently handy this is one of the better value DIY sub packages and you just need to glue it together and paint it:

Get two of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7093

One of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000DSP-iNuke-Power-Amplifier/dp/B005EHIN3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452901099&sr=8-3&keywords=inuke

Total price:  $733 for madness :D

Edited by twk123
  • Like 1

Wow. I came here looking for advice, and you were kind of to give it and when I don't take said advice you become jerks? Firstly I have been in IT for over 20 years and did plenty of research. I didn't take one mans advice. I weighed EVERYONEs advice, my room, my budget and made a decision that I thought was best for me. Seems there some egos in this room.

Twisted, you should really understand the people you talk about before making a comment. And BTW he has 2 home theaters in his house filled with Klipsch speakers and one of if not largest Klipsch dealer. If he was just trying to make money he would recommended the most expensive he could find.

ajgale1975,

If it comes to a pissing contest of your 20 years of IT work and you authorized Klipsch dealers experience and two home theatres, please realize that you are both mentally and experience wise unarmed :)

While My brother in law and his wife both run large IT departments in large corporations, and I do appreciate what they bring to my table, I have been purposefully tested as a child, and while I have Dyslexia, ADHD, poor spelling, and hand tremors, I do have a proven IQ of 148 that I bring to the table so please appreciate that.

Further understand that I have passionately been emotionally and mentally involved with Audio, well over two decades longer than you have been at IT work.

Further realize from my signature list that I presently own, and have owned many Klipsch systems that your dealer has absolutely never even heard of nor seen, let alone sold. Ask him what a Klipsch TSCM is, or what it stands for? Ask him what Klipsch KP-600s are, they were $10,000 a single channel, or stack in 1989-1992 and I presently own over 8 stacks.

Ask him what a Klipsh KPT-684 sub is, I have owned 3 and I will bet you he cannot tell you without looking it up as he never sold one.

Ask him what the Klipsch MCM-1900 4-way system is, I owned 5 MWM Double Bins plus four MWM single bins, plus a whole lot of other pieces your dealer has never laid eyes on, much less sold or owned.

I have literally bought and sold Klipsch speakers by multiple trailer loads two different times, and that is a fact that many on this forum can back up. Michael Colter has seen in person for himself before.

so you are coming here making just as many, if not more preconceived notions about who you are talking to. would you like to continue having a pissing contest and pissing up the wrong rope?

Or are you ready to learn?

By the way, my home theatre uses two KPT-684 subs. KPT stands for Klipsch Pro Theatre as in an actual movie theatre, AND two Velodyne HGS-18II subs, for a total of six 18 inch direct radiator drivers! How does that stack up against what your dealer owns?

Roger

I have been to Hope, Arkansas and the factory numerous times, and can count Roy Delgado, head engineer of the Klipsch Pro Speaker design and the guy Paul Wilbur Klipsch said that if he had a son, he would want him to be just like Roy. Roy is both my personal Facebook friend, and told me I was his friend personally last April in Hope.

Wow. I came here looking for advice, and you were kind of to give it and when I don't take said advice you become jerks?

There may have been a couple that came across in a "jerk'ish" manner. :unsure:

Firstly I have been in IT for over 20 years and did plenty of research. I didn't take one mans advice. I weighed EVERYONEs advice, my room, my budget and made a decision that I thought was best for me.

And that is the main purpose of seeking advice, and from "many counselors".   You did come to a place with some serious experience in these areas but I am sure you went to other sources also.  It is your hard earned $$$ and you have to be discerning with the advice/s given and make the best decisions for you.  And that appears to be what you did.

Seems there some egos in this room.

Ya think? ;)  :D

All I can say now is "hurry up and wait". :)

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

ajgale1975,

If it comes to a pissing contest of your 20 years of IT work and you authorized Klipsch dealers experience and two home theatres, please realize that you are both mentally and experience wise unarmed :)

While My brother in law and his wife both run large IT departments in large corporations, and I do appreciate what they bring to my table, I have been purposefully tested as a child, and while I have Dyslexia, ADHD, poor spelling, and hand tremors, I do have a proven IQ of 148 that I bring to the table so please appreciate that.

Further understand that I have passionately been emotionally and mentally involved with Audio, well over two decades longer than you have been at IT work.

Further realize from my signature list that I presently own, and have owned many Klipsch systems that your dealer has absolutely never even heard of nor seen, let alone sold. Ask him what a Klipsch TSCM is, or what it stands for? Ask him what Klipsch KP-600s are, they were $10,000 a single channel, or stack in 1989-1992 and I presently own over 8 stacks.

Ask him what a Klipsh KPT-684 sub is, I have owned 3 and I will bet you he cannot tell you without looking it up as he never sold one.

Ask him what the Klipsch MCM-1900 4-way system is, I owned 5 MWM Double Bins plus four MWM single bins, plus a whole lot of other pieces your dealer has never laid eyes on, much less sold or owned.

I have literally bought and sold Klipsch speakers by multiple trailer loads two different times, and that is a fact that many on this forum can back up. Michael Colter has seen in person for himself before.

so you are coming here making just as many, if not more preconceived notions about who you are talking to. would you like to continue having a pissing contest and pissing up the wrong rope?

By the way, my home theatre uses two KPT-684 subs. KPT stands for Klipsch Pro Theatre as in an actual movie theatre, AND two Velodyne HGS-18II subs, for a total of six 18 inch direct radiator drivers! How does that stack up against what your dealer owns?

Roger

I have been to Hope, Arkansas and the factory numerous times, and can count Roy Delgado, head engineer of the Klipsch Pro Speaker design and the guy Paul Wilbur Klipsch said that if he had a son, he would want him to be just like Roy. Roy is both my personal Facebook friend, and told me I was his friend personally last April in Hope.

Why does everything turn into a **** measuring contest with you?

Probably another member that won't be back.

ajgale1975,

Roger

Why does everything turn into a **** measuring contest with you?

Probably another member that won't be back.

I hope you are incorrect, but fear you may be right. I do go for the jugular if I feel I am being challenged.

Hope he can see the actual knowledge he has the opportunity to tap into here, and takes better advantage of it in the future.

I am 51 years old and my mother made me get a job when I was 15, and the first thing I purchased when I was 15 was a Pioneer SX-3900 receiver which was in no way a beginners piece then. I checked eBay and they are still bringing a grand for a decent one.

Roger