In search for new interconnects......suggestions

Kris K

You could go with some of those ratshack or "from the box" stuff, many people do not hear any differences in cables. I do, and thus spend some money on upgrading that part of my signal chain....everything depends on price range...but for those components something from Audioquest, Kimber, Monster or MIT in the $100-200 range should be about right...I personally have been very impressed with Audioquest products. regards, tony

tblasing--- aarrrggg? What? Actually my beef is more with calling patchcords "interconnects" that with the notion that wires can sound different.

When people started selling boutique patchcords they wanted to come up with a fancier name so they used "interconnects". I mean it's easier to stick it to the rubes when you give it a fancy name. And like gullible sheep audiophiles followed them. That's a sucker move, the sign of a chump and person who lacks security in his social place (the poor middle-class, badly educated at mediocre colleges where they took "business" instead of Greek, Rhetoric and History, and dreadfully afraid of slipping back to their Prole origins). Like with real-estate people who call houses "homes" and then the middlebrow public starts calling houses "homes" too, ("oh, they're building some gorgeous new homes over in Timber Cove"; it's always Timber Cove or Wooded Vale, never Subdivision #1 and Subdivision #2)probably in some misguided notion that they sound classy that way, unaware that the wealthy are plainspoken and call their house a "house".

Now we have the ridiculous and cumbersome situation in which an idea that was expressed in a single sylable, house, now must be expressed as a "single-family detatched home". This so they can call townhouses "townhomes" and apartments "garden homes" and other such idiocy.

I like plain speaking. It's more precise and more elegant too. Read Grant's memoirs for beautifully expressed plain speaking.

I'm done. Whew! :-)

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 08-24-2002 at 10:55 PM

Kris,

This is one of those subjects that sparks religious wars, along with speaker cables, tube v. SS, etc.

You can find a lot of information and opinion on this subject in the archives of the cable forum at www.audioasylum.com

IMHO generic patch cables work fine for most short line level audio connections. Sometimes using a cable with two wires inside a shield, with the shield grounded on only one end (usually the source end) can reduce the noise floor a bit. More expensive cables may have connectors that work better in some circumstances, be more durable, look better, have lower capacitance that may help with longer run, have more snob appeal, etc. This is not to say there may not be cables that sound better to you than others. You pays your money and takes your chances.

Tom,

Wow! Relax! You are coming on almost like one of those pennyless British aristocrats with an estate he cannot even afford the taxes on bemoaning the decline of the empire and the rise of the nouveau riche.

Get with the program! English, unlike classical Greek or Latin, is a living language. The words used to describe a concept change. And the meanings of words change. There are many reasons for these changes. But whatever the reasons, the changes do occur.

It was amusing to me years ago when programmers started wanting to be called software engineers. But I got used to it. The term was orginated by a group of programmers in Europe who had been accustomed to attending a periodic conference (read party). They were told than because of budget constraints, only engineers would be allowed to have such conferences. So they got their titles changed to software engineer. Before long, just about every programmer wanted to be call a software engineer.

I like plain speaking, too. There are folks who know what interconnect means and not what patch cord means. Plain speaking to me means using clear, simple language from your vocabulary to convey the message to the listener. I think Kris did a good job. You certainly understood what he mean.

If precision is what you want, classical Greek is much more precise than English ever was. But we speak English. I think what you are really complaining about is change. Get used to it!

FWIW IMHO there is much to commend about a traditional liberal arts education. Those who concentrate their course work around their future career give up much of the potential benefit of a university education. But I have met enough losers with a liberal arts education from a top school to know it doesn't make the man.

Yes I could have stated "patchchords" a term that I was using back in the mid 70's, but I went with a more refined word "interconnects".

I have been on both Audioasylum and Audiogon but thought I would try here also. I had a new pair of $200______(you fill in the blank)and yes they had a much different sound...one that I did not care for, so after 3 weeks I returned them.Yes I do believe that cables do make a difference.

TBrennan, I posted this thread for help,as many others do, and not for sarcasm.

Kris

Kris...take a look at Transparent audio cables. Greatest improvement in my system by far was changing out interconnects between pre and amp.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

For Home Theater use, I have The Music Cable (TMC)(Whites for source components and Yellows for receivers/preams to amps) and IXOS Gamma (Master & Studio) IC's. They are not excessively expensive and have good sheilding for protection against EMI and RFI interferences. I do like the clarity they convey.

The TMC is an Australian company. Bought my cables via their Audiogon auctions. Web link below:

http://www.the-music-cable.com/

The IXOS cables were purchased from Accessories For Less. If interested do a search for IXOS from their main page.

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/Corporate/index.asp?CartId=9251905YC-ACCWARE-HXB940

Each are entitled to their own poison or pleasure, as it relates to cable preferences.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Having no real experience with "cables" I was looking for help. I feel that with each upgrade within my system will bring harmonic happiness. I did not like the sound of the new cables that I bought, so I went back to my 1984 $45 old faithfuls and all was well again. I had a chance to buy MIT's a few years back but I felt that their sound was do to the network on the cable and it was altering the sound of the preamp...does this apply to all high end cables also?

Thank, Kris

Malcolm---Yeah, I understand the language changes but it galls me when the changes come from PR and advertising people and the rest of us just blindly follow. Often such changes are meant to blur reality or to change perceptions for someone's monetary gain and that gets my goat.

Like calling garbage dumps "landfills". Well the purpose isn't to "fill the land" but to dump garbage. But landfill calls to mind benign images such as Caesar filling the Pontine Marshes so the people of Rome would suffer less malaria and not the ugly, though needed, job of eliminating people's waste.

It's an artiface, a pose. I have my own poses and resent other's try to arrange poses for me. :-)

Read Paul Fussel, he's as perceptive and funny as Hell writing about this stuff.

Kris,

Okay, the issue invites sarcasm. Someone once said "Sarcasm is the wit of the witless." That is not actually meant as a comment on my friends here. It is prevalent in all fields. I get the same at the office.

I can't quite agree with your basic premise. I.e., that each and any upgrade brings improvement in system performance.

Related to this is my belief that in most cases, the links in the system, particularly wire, do their job well. Most ordinary connectors and wires do work very well. The sale of expensive connectors and wire seems like hucksterism to me; and I just can't help but advocate against it.

On the other hand, speakers are the weak link. Spending that money on a better speaker is bound to yield better results.

That is what I think.

Gil

Gil, I should have said that each of the upgrades that I have done has brought new character to my system, to which I enjoy. New amp, preamp, KLF30's. I knew that the cable question would bring on various responces, that is why I asked. Many of you where once in my shoes and now have the experience through your many purchases($$$) to offer helpful suggestions; to which I thank you.

Thanks, Kris

I may have sounded a bit harsh there. Sorry.

I keep the campfires burning for the "ordinary wire sounds good enough" camp.

Today I was in CompUSA and they had a pack of two Monster Wire RCA patch cords. Smile. $45 for the two. I just can't believe something cheaper will not do the same job. Granted, they look terrific.

BTW, I'm cutting down on my use of quotation symbols after seeing the Austin Powers movies.

Gil

I have no problem accepting that cables act as filters in some respects and that they are just one segment of a very long signal chain. that is why I tried various types of cables until I got certain ones that sounded good in between certain components, those that sounded best to me stayed. I use the *what sounds good to my ears, with my music* method of selecting cables and components for two reasons, one I am an veritable dim-wit scientifically speaking and two, I have never found specs, reviews, etc. to correlate that directly to what I was most pleased by in my own room with my own equipment and music. So now I am a listen and decide kind of guy, happily so I might add. If the filters sound good more power to them! regards, tony

btw way kris the kimber hero and audioquest diamondback sounded great to me in the under $200 range

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 08-26-2002 at 11:43 AM