Official Forum Snow Gage-Snowmageddon II

thebes

• Moderators

Could this be the blizzard of 1978?

i was working on an ice breaker on the Great Lakes that winter. Remember it well.

That must have been when you were with the Coast Guard? Those ice breakers are so amazing to me. How think is the ice? How long does it take to ice back up again?

Next to a 46' MLB that has to be my favorie CG vessel.

Could this be the blizzard of 1978?

i was working on an ice breaker on the Great Lakes that winter. Remember it well.

That must have been when you were with the Coast Guard? Those ice breakers are so amazing to me. How think is the ice? How long does it take to ice back up again?

Next to a 46' MLB that has to be my favorie CG vessel.

Hi Travis -- Yes that was back in my Coast Guard days.  The ice can be several feet thick, with pressure ridges even higher.  I have no idea what the “record” is for that area.  We were predominantly on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and the St. Mary’s River. Our homeport during ice breaking season was Sault Ste. Marie, Mi. I don’t know how long it generally takes to freeze over again. Here’s a photo of the one I was one...she’s now decommissioned and turned into a museum (up in Mackinaw City i believe). There is a new Mackinaw (smaller and colored red) in operation now; but, i was on the original Mighty Mac (sadly after my days, they painted the original Mackinaw red). Here is a video I found on You Tube that may be of interest to you. And in case you’re wondering ... it was a blast! Although they paid me at the time; now I’d pay them to let me tag along.

post-20580-0-81340000-1453774544_thumb.j

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Is that the Edmund Fitzgerald in the background? Wow, amazing!!!

i don’t know; but we sailed the same routes.  been in some mighty fierce November storms too...most people are shocked when i tell them that we encountered 20 foot waves on Lake Michigan once.  Rougher than the ocean in a way--waves closer together, so you can really get beat up. It was fun. Maybe it was youth and naivety; but, i never got scared once, the thought of being in danger never entered my mind. I spent my 18th birthday in boot camp (didn’t get a cake either), so i was young enough to simply trust that the Coast Guard knew what they were having us do...so i just enjoyed the rides. 

• Like 2

Stew - I miss the old Mackinaw as it had a huge presence on Lake Michigan & offered a sense of security while the racing sailors made the yearly trek up from Chicago to Mackinaw Island.  The new cutter just doesn't have the same status.  

As far as this season's snow storm, many comparisons are being made to 1978, but didn't 1977 wreck similar havoc?  I know that 1978 dumped 4 feet on us here over 2 days, and we were completely snowed in for 4.  4x4's were worthless, and snowmobiles were marginally better due to the soft fluffy snow that they sank in.  Our city was finally able to clear us out using gigantic snow throwing units mounted on front end loaders.

FYI - we had 30" of ice on our local inland lake last winter (5000+ acres) & I've heard from freighter boat captains that 4-6 feet of ice cover is not uncommon in the northern reaches of the Great Lakes.

Edited by Arrow#422

As far as this season's snow storm, many comparisons are being made to 1978, but didn't 1977 wreck similar havoc?

'78 was my first winter. Winter of ’77 i was sunbathing in Los Angeles still.  Yeah, the old Mac has a special place in my heart and is irreplaceable; but, it was OLD and costing a fortune to operate. It sure left me with some awesome memories. I wish back then i would have realized just how much fun i was actually having. I get along with most people, so shipboard life wasn’t a big deal for me. 

oh yeah, i spent two day snowed in at a motel up in the Soo. During ice breaking season, we got a “96” (four days in a row off) every 16 days. We were allowed to leave the ship; but, it was up to us to meet the ship wherever it was when our days off were over. 

Another time, about five of us spent the night in a Mom & Pop type store.  We were traveling to Cheboygan and got caught in a white out. Numerous travelers stopped and the store owners kept the place open all night so we’d all have a place to hang out until the weather cleared enough to drive again. 

Edited by BigStewMan