Crash test- 1959 Bel Air vs 2009 Malibu

sputnik

What is obstructing your view here? mm_gal_item_c2.img_resize.img_stage._3.j

That's not the view from the driver's seat. Besides, it's doctored too. The mirrors are pasted over. It's a cage.

...and yes I despise A-pillar visibility obstruction to any degree, because frankly, I'm not blind. Once again, if a car is going to impact me there, it's a going to be real bad day no matter what.

Check out the video of my 92 Accord below. Watch the entire length to include when I pass through the construction zone. What obstructions do you see there? Mute the audio if you find it offensive, but pay attention to the essentially panoramic view out from both forward, around the car, and through the rear view mirror.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Is there no steering?

If you lose all electricity and you have an electric steering then yes.  It's extremely rare to lose your alternator and battery at the same time.

I am more concerned about a dead short causing the fuseable link to blow. Even with redundancies, no power means what? IMO, the best redundancy is having a mechanical connection power steering offers, or was mentioned electronic rack. I may be overthinking this, but I am one of those folks who likes to drive fast occasionally, and worse, I am a mechanic. The most important thing in my pea sized brain is knowing I am in control of the wheel. Everything else including the brakes and accelerator, are less important. I would literally crap if I had no steering whatsoever.

All current examples of SBW use redundant systems and are very unlikely to completely fail.

It's certainly not uncommon.  I've seen non responsive throttles several times.  It's also possible to have can bus failures and take out multiple systems.  If the bus goes down, you lose everything on it.  Heck, we had an air conditioning transducer (pressure sensor) take down the bus and cause a no start.

Keep in mind there are multiple data networks in vehicles:

CAN-bus -- low speed interconnect for basic functions. Radio, navi, door modules... ,

LIN-bus, very low cost, low speed network

Flex-ray, Super high speed, for safety critical systems

Fibre-optic,

standard electrical, to motors and switches

D2B, another high speed multimedia network

MOST, Mostly entertainment and multimedia network

And saying these networks go down can cause massive problems.. Well, yeah. But that's like saying we shouldn't advance technology and innovate.

Carburetors clog.. So guess we should have given up a while ago.

But we advanced.. We went EFI And now D.I.

And most systems have redundancies on their redundancies.

All of these do run through the maxi fuse don't they? I suppose the best redundancy would be a second battery just for steering backup which could disconnect from the rest of the electrical system if the Maxi fuse or whatever blows out.

I think you are right though. There aren't any real drive by wire setups yet in cars. I was mistaken, and this may be an indication that I watch too much sci fi.  :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhDqgh6DClo

This is excellent. Already a production car. Has been for 2 years. Limited to 11 seconds of function. But capable in an unlocked mode as demonstrated in this video by MB engineers.

How's that for drive by wire?

S-Class is where most automotive technology seems to start. I've never owned one, but I've farted in plenty.

:lol:

Who makes a steer by wire system? Ive never heard of such a vehicle. You still turn a wheel, to steering column, to electric motor, which operates an assist to the rack, which turns the wheels.

Edit: I see Infiniti has a steer by wire in the q50.

Will research. I'm interested to see their redundancy.

Edit edit: I will say, the hyperbolic technology is awful theme is kinda passé in such a technology driven industry. Look at aviation. They have had fly by wire for 10+ years. (No pun intended)

Some Japanese sport bikes have had throttle by wire for about a decade.

• Like 1

Many of my MB's Have 2,3 even 5 batteries. And no, all of our networks are not through one fuse. I have had cars in from body shop that we needed to help Diag for nsirance repair - and I have never seen a car completely down. I'll still have communication with a few networks. And even then, my fly by wire tech- if it detects faults it goes into a fail safe mode and still functions. Had an accelerator pedal have damage to electrical connector, it has 5 redundant sweeps on its track IIRC amd all failed. So the car ignored all sweeps and just looked for ANY movement. It could see 0% throttle and then 90% throttle a millisecond later... But it would not give it, it would roll on slowly and watch for any more movement in other direction. Not perfect, but still works to limp home... Even with fly by wire.

So..... The fart joke.

Yeah... That's a real thing too.

If the air inside an S-klassé is found to be contaminated the hvac system has a deionizer and perfume system with 5 or 6+ smells to chose from.

With the Guard edition, if the car senses chemical warfare the vehicle will roll up and seal itself and recirculate the interior air and purify until the exterior agent has dissipated to safe levels.

• Like 1

So..... The fart joke.

Yeah... That's a real thing too.

If the air inside an S-klassé is found to be contaminated the hvac system has a deionizer and perfume system with 5 or 6+ smells to chose from.

With the Guard edition, if the car senses chemical warfare the vehicle will roll up and seal itself and recirculate the interior air and purify until the exterior agent has dissipated to safe levels.

Didn't know that.

JJK

What is obstructing your view here? mm_gal_item_c2.img_resize.img_stage._3.j

That's not the view from the driver's seat. Besides, it's doctored too. The mirrors are pasted over. It's a cage.

...and yes I despise A-pillar visibility obstruction to any degree, because frankly, I'm not blind. Once again, if a car is going to impact me there, it's a going to be real bad day no matter what.

Check out the video of my 92 Accord below. Watch the entire length to include when I pass through the construction zone. What obstructions do you see there? Mute the audio if you find it offensive, but pay attention to the essentially panoramic view out from both forward, around the car, and through the rear view mirror.

I owned several muscle cars and old corvettes.  Could not see a damn thing behind me or next to me.  Horrible blind spots in additions to their many shortcomings. 

I also worked in accident reconstruction in the 1990s and yes, newer cars are safer.