My first Klipsch speakers!

SoundMind66

Welcome, Sound Mind!  :emotion-21::emotion-19::emotion-46:

You have come to the right place to ask your questions, about Klipsch and frankly about audio in general.  We all don't know everything, but between us we know something. 

I use a 3 yo Onkyo 717 AVR FYI.  I love the sound and the advanced electronics is what drew me to it. 

You are quite right that the Onk's of my generation had a well known problem factory defect with the HDMI boards which would lead to the loss of sound.  Onk has stepped up to the plate and will warranty those defects until 2018.

If you buy new, the problems have been resolved by using another brand of chip which would thermal fail.  If you buy an AVR from a couple of years ago, post here what you are looking for and I will help you find out if it has the known defect.  If you can find an Onk 818 that has had the HDMI board fixed, you can find them around for about $300 and it is an outstanding AVR, a notch and maybe two above mine, same vintage.

You said you liked deep bass.  I upgraded from 2.0 to 5.1 (now 3.1) when I got the Onk 3 years ago.  I never owned a sub before that, but now I think everybody ought to have a sub.  It enhances the lowest octave for both music and movies.  I like a strong brass section so the Klipsch speakers are tailor made for that, but the sub really brings out tuba and lower piano notes.

What type of music or movie sound do you like?

Edited by wvu80

Thanks jweber and Marvel! Marvel my HT days were good times but i am 2 channel for life! I did dabble in multi channel music and it was very very cool but it's something about that experience i get from a good 2 channel music system that's absolutely priceless. I not saying i will never pursue that multi channel experience again, especially with newer formats to explore like blu ray audio, but the simplicity and intimacy (for lack of better words) that keeps me coming back for more.   

Hey SoundMind66...

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum....I'm also more into 2 channel. I'm more of the older vintage gear. I am kinda working on a HT set up that is totaly seperate from my 2 channel.

Glad you joind us....lots of good peeps for sure....lots of knowledge here....have fun....enjoy....

MKP :-)

Thank you wvu80 for that great info! I do like deep bass and maybe later my budget and space will allow, i will have one. I think what i love more about subs is how they anchor all music deep or not, if that makes any sense.  I will listen to just about anything once but my favs are vocal jazz and most Jazz in general but love blues, 70's, 80's and some 90's rock, R&B, Funk, and some Hip Hop. I'm a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, and I love the last Batman series. But any good action, drama, and comedy, i'm on board. 

Thanks MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE, glad to be here! I think vintage gear is hot. When i was first getting into audio in the mid 80's it wasn't as much of the big chassis, big knobs, switches, meters, spectrum analyzers of the 70's.  70's gear to me was when audio components were as their sexiest. 

Welcome to the forum and congratulations SoundMind66!

You are going to LOVE them. Mine are wonderful. Best $400 I ever spent, literally. I am astonished at how awesome they sound. The better the amp the better they sound.

Enjoy them in great health!

Joe

Edited by joeinid

Welcome to the forum and congratulations SoundMind66!

You are going to LOVE them. Mine are wonderful. Best $400 I ever spent, literally. I am astonished at how awesome they sound. The better the amp the better they sound.

Enjoy them in great health!

Joe

Thanks joeinid! Yeah I think that they were a great deal at $600 but a fantastic deal at $440! Although I haven't heard these, that big, bold, dynamic sound, that signature Klipsch live experience will always be there! I will be interesting hear what the tweaks to the horn, like the rubber material used, shape of the throat, cabinet design, baffle and the new tractrix port add to the already impressive sound. Can't wait!

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

Mine are way smooth, listen all day great and surprisingly bassy for a small speaker. Listening right now with a smile on my face. So happy for you.

Sounds like just what I'm looking for. And since I'm not adding a sub anytime soon, a nice full bottom end will be welcome. Thanks so much.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome Soundmind,,,,Your from the home of Jessie James Dupree.....You can run those with about any boom box or receiver. I have ran Heresys with a boom box during ice storm. Everyone in the area could hear them,,lol.

Just save up and get the best one you can get you will be much happier I think.I like the old HK430 but those are getting old and the one I got probably needs work. If you were closer I have a few receivers here not great ones but could get you by for a while.

Make sure you check out crutchfield and http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/4.html they have refurbished ones.

Congrats and welcome.

If you are planning a 2 ch system and plan on keeping it that way (ie.., not transitioning to a HT rig), I'd suggest considering a separate pre- and power amp or a nice integrated amp as opposed to an AVR or other receiver. You will get a variety of opinions on this subject from many knowledgeable folks, but taking this approach has certainly enhanced the sound quality of our 2 ch system. The brands I've used in recent years are Parasound (separates) and Marantz (integrated). These have all been SS but the tube guys will have recommendations as well. 

Best of luck.

• Like 1