2 inch HF driver suggestions with goldwood 450 horn

Pete H

Looking to find a pair of drivers for the goldwood horns I picked up.  This is in conjunction with my first attempt at an active crossover set up so I want to do a simple 2 way set up.  I want to keep this on a pretty tight budget for the drivers so I'm thinking used and not to exceed $400 and I have 0 experience with any 2" drivers so I'm all ears.  I already have the BB's from the split cornscala's and will probably build some DBB's to use up some of my 15" inventory.

Sounds simple enough so what should I be hunting for?

Thanks!

With that horn, I'd recommend crossing over to something like a Beyma CP25 at or below 3900 Hz - the cut-on frequency of the higher order harmonics of that horn with the 2" slot in its throat.  Otherwise, you'll get the frying eggs sound.

As far as 2" drivers, from 400 Hz to 4 kHz, you've got a lot to choose from, so price is your controlling factor. The P.Audio BM-D750 series II meets your cost ceiling (new), and I'd bet would sound very good, assuming a 3.9 kHz crossover frequency. Other drivers may be available used for less, like the DH1A EV drivers that some guys like.  It looks like most of the vintage Altec and JBL drivers exceed your threshold on cost.

Chris

+1 Chris!  I personally used the original BM-D750 with that horn and liked it.  I sold all that gear when I started playing with round horns and 8" drivers.

Pete, I think I sent you the link to my DBB build thread with has information on that horn and my driver combo.  There are also a few other threads detailing my learning journey with active crossovers and 2" drivers.  Knowing what I know now, I would not return to a passive crossover.  Too much fun playing around with the crossover and it provides a world of flexibility.

I'm going to read through the DBB thread again because this is going to follow that path pretty closely.  I'm doing this to learn, nothing more than that.  I can build whatever I want, but I have to get a grip on different networks, measurements and be able to make proper adjustments.  I do see that the P audio has a recommended crossover at 1khz which is higher than I expected but I believe the kappa lites are ok at that point, but I have to check the other 15's I've got.

Pete,

Also check out the line from Faital Pro.  I used the HF-200 drivers as well and liked their high frequency performance.  However, the HF-200 is a 1.5" diaphragm with a 2" adapter installed. Very nice driver, although I forget the price point.  It has been several years since I had those setups. 

Faital Pro HF200: http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF200-1.htm

At that price point, I'd throw in the B&C DE750...AKA, the "Klipsch K-69": http://www.parts-express.com/bc-de750-8-2-titanium-horn-driver-8-ohm-4-bolt--294-614

The is also a very nice sounding driver.

Chris

Faital Pro HF200: http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF200-1.htm

At that price point, I'd throw in the B&C DE750...AKA, the "Klipsch K-69": http://www.parts-express.com/bc-de750-8-2-titanium-horn-driver-8-ohm-4-bolt--294-614

The is also a very nice sounding driver.

Chris

Now if I can find a good used set of either, I could try to stay in budget. That would be a first. :P

Looking to find a pair of drivers for the goldwood horns I picked up.  This is in conjunction with my first attempt at an active crossover set up so I want to do a simple 2 way set up.  I want to keep this on a pretty tight budget for the drivers so I'm thinking used and not to exceed $400 and I have 0 experience with any 2" drivers so I'm all ears.  I already have the BB's from the split cornscala's and will probably build some DBB's to use up some of my 15" inventory.

Sounds simple enough so what should I be hunting for?

Thanks!

used DH1A's got for about $100 each plus shipping. Best used bang for buck. Try Ron Ellis, I think he has 3 for sale here.

• Like 2

Been using those horns for 6 years on top of my Jub clones. I've used BM-D750, Selenium D-405TI and JBL 2445. All sound good, but I stuck with the JBL's. Bought another pair of the 450 horns and shelved them for my next pair of clones, when I find the time. Good luck on your build.

Big D

Yeah you sold the Faitals to me. Using them right now on some ev horns.

To be honest my ears cant tell much difference between the two. For the price the EVs are hard to beat. They are alot heavier.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah you sold the Faitals to me. Using them right now on some ev horns.

To be honest my ears cant tell much difference between the two. For the price the EVs are hard to beat. They are alot heavier.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I found the least expensive way to ship them is Flat Rate Priority USPS mail.

I picked up a P. Audio PH4525 that is similar, and I have a P. Audio BM-d750 on it.  To be honest I haven't really even listened to it (picked it up for a center channel and haven't had a use for it).  I am curious to what you think of the Goldwood with the Faital.