Different sized SW, adding to the HT

iaclimber4

Hello all,

I am currently running a 7.1 setup with RP-280F, 450C, 250F (surround L/R placed higher) and 250s rears with a R112SW.  I watched Mad Max and Kingsman the last couple nights and absolutely was thrilled with the sound.  The bass was amazing.  Which got me thinking......could it be better!!?? 

The R112SW is doing great by itself, but I was wondering if adding the R115SW would be of any benefit.  I was thinking of running crossovers on the 12 a little higher and perhaps putting the 15's crossover at its lowest setting - 40Hz for more earth shaking/tactile reasons. 

That versus getting a second 112SW

Anyone running different sized subs and happy with it? Does the larger one drown out the smaller?

Thanks for the help, the HT is only up and running less than a month so any assistance will be much appreciated!

• Like 1

I am running different size subs and have them very well blended for HT but for music I have to tone the RT-10d's down a bit because they are corner loaded and can get a bit boomy.

Twin Klipsch RT-10d's

SVS SB13 Plus---low pass filter set at 50Hz

Revel B15

Bill

Using more subs is a good thing. If placed correctly it will even out the bass across the entire room. I am using 2 different size subs, with one having much higher output than the others. I run 1 in the front and 2 smaller in the back of room. You will have to play around with xover points and spl levels to get them blended well. It will take some time but is worth it.

• Like 1

The subs mentioned are close enough in output that running two will definitely improved the FR in the room.  Keep the smaller one slight closer to the MLP.  TR will go up especially if one of the sub is near the MLP.  Run them with the same XO unless you have measuring gear such as REW or Omnimic.

The subs mentioned are close enough in output that running two will definitely improved the FR in the room.  Keep the smaller one slight closer to the MLP.  TR will go up especially if one of the sub is near the MLP.  Run them with the same XO unless you have measuring gear such as REW or Omnimic.

MLP - middle listening point?  FR/TR - functional/torsional resonance?  Sorry new to these abbreviations, totally making stuff up at this point.  XO i got ;)

Appreciate all the input thus far, 115SW is coming to fruition!

any difference in sound quality of using the WA2 vs LFE subwoofer wire?

Edited by iaclimber4

Thanks for the replies and the information.  I think i will end up getting the second sub. Now just have to find a day off to receive the beast.  

Robo, the 250S are really nice,   I have them sitting as the rears and the sound back there is really enveloping and diffuse.  are they worth 848 for the pair, i don't know.  I was considering them for the L/R surround, but then decided to save some money and get the 250F towers.  Love the current setup and the 7.1 setup for music is amazing!  I may end up swapping the side  tower for the rear and see if it makes any difference, at some point, but i'd like to break the speakers in first.

I purchased 2 r-112sw this weekend after getting my calibration down I have them set at 3/4 gain on both and they pound pretty hard

I just purchased my second 112, I am very pleased with the quality of these subs

I kinda wonder what the 115s would sound like? I did get to demo them at frys but they only had one and in a poorly designed demo room I was not impressed. My OCD tells me to trade the 112s in and up pay for the larger subs but I would hate to compromise I'm very happy with the 112s and don't want to lose all my mid bass for the low end bass only

I purchased 2 r-112sw this weekend after getting my calibration down I have them set at 3/4 gain on both and they pound pretty hard

I just purchased my second 112, I am very pleased with the quality of these subs

I kinda wonder what the 115s would sound like? I did get to demo them at frys but they only had one and in a poorly designed demo room I was not impressed. My OCD tells me to trade the 112s in and up pay for the larger subs but I would hate to compromise I'm very happy with the 112s and don't want to lose all my mid bass for the low end bass only

Where exactly are you crossing over at?

Unless you are crossing at some crazy high frequency, you don't have to worry about loosing mid-Bass.

I run two Klipsch KPT-684 Subs for mid Bass, and they have two 18's each!

I use two Velodyne HGS-18II's for everything between 15 Hz to 35 hz.

Roger

• Like 1

I'll probably repost as a separate topic, but i'm glad i ordered the R115SW.  I'm hearing a rattle with the R112SW, calibrated the system with the marantz 5010 using Audyssey, music, TV all sounds great.  

I've noticed something that sounds like rattling coming from the R112SW behind the subwoofer cone especially for really low frequency effects like a shuttle take off or a bomb explosion.  Some movies tested include Wall-E, Transformers, Mad Max.  I'm wondering if i'm overdriving the sub the cone does move a lot but again not exceedingly loud volume?  I can't imagine that i am given that the whole system at seating position doesn't exceed 85db (Marantz volume is at 66-70).  The sub itself using a test tone (Wall-E disc) has the GAIN at only at half or less and cross over at 60Hz the spl meter read 75db right in front of the sub.

Any advice if i should try specific Hz or target db?  I've never heard the rattle outside of movies.  It's definitely not the subwoofer chuff i've read about from the port.  Perhaps the R112SW wasn't the best idea for movie LFE....

You will not lose any midbass. The 15s will do everything the 12s are doing just better.

You will not lose any midbass. The 15s will do everything the 12s are doing just better.

So do you think that it's worth paying a extra $500 to trade them in for the 112s?

1st I dont know how expensive comparitively speaking US$500 is. 2nd a larger driver in a larger cabinet with a more powerful amp especially if of similar design is going to be better across the board. And 3rd and I am trying to be careful what I say lol but I would not have got a klipsch sub to start with. Sure the 12s will be great. Sure the 15s would be better. But are there better subs out there? Yes. I have diy 15s in 7cubic ft sealed enclosures so may be a little biased here. Basically the bigger the driver and enclosure the better the sub. But it also depends on how far you want to get into things lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So, verdict is in.  ALWAYS go with two subs if you can.  Played with different variations and placement of the 115sw and  the 112sw.  I've ended up with the 112sw behind the couch and the 115sw up front.  The difference between the single 15" and two subs being used at once is staggering.  Love being able to feel the couch shake with such clarity and encompassing bass.  Thanks for all the assistance.