Help - Tempted by Ebay (Still)

mrquery

Find you a used professionally rebuilt HH Scott or Fisher 7189/EL84 integrated amplifier and forget about it. Don't be fooled by the eBay ads gone over by some unknown technician those amps are usually just ban-aid fixed to play music long enough for the seller to pry the maximum money out of your wallet. Watch this website garage sale page or Audiokarma.org barter town. Sometimes deals in your budget pop up.  

• Like 2

used professionally rebuilt HH Scott or Fisher 7189/EL84 integrated amplifier

Just to get an idea, how much should be a reasonable price for that? I suppose the best models are 222C, 299B and LK 48B variants? I listen to fisher on youtube and none of those suits my cup of tea.

Since you brought it up, I was also looking for eico hf-81 (too pricey currently) and scott LK 48b. However when I did audition both (virtually, please note that there is no other way I can audition right now) I got a feel that #eico hf-81 does throw everything and I am not able to tell which instrument goes where and over lapse each other (if you know what I mean). The LK 48B however is a bit cleft lipped / muffled. Pardon me for both followers of these great amps but I haven't hear them in real life yet. 

Peace  :mellow:

Cris,

If you go on Craig's website,there's a list of all the products he services. Those would be the best units to target, but you can't preview something on youtube.That would be like test driving a car online watching someone else drive. Any of those units that you can get for less than $375.00 and lower will be a steal. And then I'd also allot another $400.00 or so for a total restoration. Or go the route of a newer used unit as was stated earlier in the posts.

I am by far nowhere near as knowledgeable as others when it comes to tube amps, but I do know you need to have it in your system for awhile before making a decision. What I did however was purchase a couple different units, try them out, and then sell what I didn't like. If I were you, I'd try the class A SET again, have it wired in triode mode directly from the company and use it for a month or so. Then upgrade it if you like the sound with new caps, wiring, and/or resistors. Craig, toolshed Matt, and several others on here can more than do a capable job of redoing an amp for you, and you'll be in  it for less than $500.00. Or get the integrated and you'll still be in it for that range. Then  build on things from there. I was strapped monetarily, and bought the 1st amp for less than $200.00 plus shipping. All in all, 3 amps have run me less than $1000.00 total.

you can't preview something on youtube.That would be like test driving a car online watching someone else drive.

I hear you but for me, seeing a car driven by other people on the street gives me an initial impression on how a car could perform while I drove it myself compare to specs that nobody really seems to know the real life value. Haven't you seen a car zoom ahead of you while you are pushing your car past 80's and told yourself - someday I'll get that car.

Or why would those nuts (including me) post their audio setup in the net if there's no sense in it. Of course I am not implying that youtube demo are absolute / proper way to demo, I am just saying in the absence of real world demo, I would take youtube anytime to get an initial feel of things, that includes audio.

Pardon me, perhaps I am really trying hard to justify my youtube demos but that is out of context of this thread.   :D

Edited by mrquery

No it's not Cris. Any system you preview on youtube is only going to sound as good as your computer's speaker set up. You'll never get the full SQ until it's in your home system. I'd ask a few of the builders on here if they have a "loaner program" for you to preview something for a week or so, or ask about a return policy. Again maybe one of them has a one off they could let go for cheap. Many of them on here offer lifetime help for free on their amps and I'm sure you could sell it to someone on here if it weren't for you. Most of the builders on here have really good reputations with their products, so someone is always willing to buy one as they know the amp will be worth it just on the customer service alone.

• Like 1

Jim is certainly correct about the total impossibility of judging the sound of any audio component by listening to how it "sounds" via a Youtube video.  There are simply too many variables, all of which can affect what you are hearing, to draw any conclusions whatsoever.  Are there any audio dealers near you, or within a reasonable drive, who sell tube equipment?  If so, you may be able to work something out which will let you bring some amps home for an audition in your system.  There is no other way to know if something is going to provide the sound you are looking for.  Also, how loudly do you listen to heavy metal for example?  And, how far into the room is it possible for you to position the speakers?

Maynard

I've been to upscale audio in berwyn, while they carry tube amp their prices are not close to my budget. Also I was surprised with music direct having no demo room at all.

My open concept appartment living room is about 12x8 in meters small. I lsten soft (conversation level) to jazz vocals and I listen loud (train passing level.) to rock music, where they are supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by mrquery

I've been to upscale audio in berwyn, while they carry tube amp their prices are not close to my budget. Also I was surprised with music direct having no demo room at all.

My open concept appartment living room is about 12x8 in meters small. I lsten soft (conversation level) to jazz vocals and I listen loud (train passing level.) to rock music, where they are supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the efficiency of the KG4? Now that we know the size of the listening environment, we will be able to figure out the power required for his needs (85db nominal, 99db peaks....reasonable, yes?)

Welbone Labs Moondogs

I've been reading this a lot in members profile sig. This may be my final destination later on together with CW but for now, those tubes alone will eat up my budget.

Where can I audition this marvelous amps, anybody from Chicago or near me?

Cris, I'd ask people on here who have Cornwalls about them.If you are looking for "lush wet sound" Cornwalls may not be what you want. Most on here say they are good for rock music, but lack in other types with the mids and highs. I would probably look at the forte or chorus lines, and take it from there.I could be wrong, but everything I see posted states Cornwalls are not the best for critical listening.

I'd also look at a KG 4.2,KG 5.2 or the (.5) on either one as they have a much large horn and may give better mids and highs.

Cris, I'd ask people on here who have Cornwalls about them.If you are looking for "lush wet sound" Cornwalls may not be what you want. Most on here say they are good for rock music, but lack in other types with the mids and highs. I would probably look at the forte or chorus lines, and take it from there.I could be wrong, but everything I see posted states Cornwalls are not the best for critical listening.

I disagree.

So, if I understand correctly, your room is about 36 X 24 feet in size.  Being open concept, is the kitchen at one end?  I ask because if you are in the kitchen, and the speakers are at the opposite end of the room, you are going to need some very high power if you want to listen at the train passing level you mention.  For example, at 12 meters from a pair of speakers with 94 db sensitivity, 100 watts will give you around 95 db; at 8 meters 99 db.  What may be the best solution is to get a switchbox which allows you to select either of 2 amps.  Use a powerful SS unit for the very loud levels, and a low power tube amp for the low level listening.  Also, keep in mind that very loud levels and a "wet/lush" sound are mutually exclusive.  You are not going to appreciate the latter effect if you are listening so loudly.  And, the other issue is that 50-100 watts using tubes is going to be very costly.  Even buying a good, used, Audio Research or Conrad-Johnson amp would greatly exceed your budget.

Maynard

I disagree.

Mike, that's why I recommended he ask other members on here. I do not own a set and am going by what others have stated. I was told they are very good for rock, but classical and other softer types not as good. I asked as well when I was in the market and settled on the forte II's.