Klipsch Epic CF-3 without serial numbers?

Lost240

the serial numbers on my cf-3s are almost completely faded. a loupe and a careful eye are necessary to read the numbers. i purchased these new. they have at times been against walls with windows, so the sun has faded them. so i wouldn't be too quick to assume non numbered speakers to be B stock. they may actually have spent an extended time in one location exposed to uv light, but free from handling damage.

those look to be in great shape, and the glass tops have no doubt helped preserve them. throw him a lowball and a sob story about the long drive.

Edited by khornbred

Mr. Lost, I think you did right by passing because it just didn't seem to be the right price at the right place.  Most importantly you followed my first rule for getting a good deal;

Never fall in love with your stuff.  B)

I love a lot of my stuff and there have been times when I paid more than the asking price most often the asking price no dickering. That way when I ask for the vendor to pack well and tell them what I would like they have most often accommodated me since they got their asking price without a hassle. I love a good deal as much as the next guy just the same but sometimes grinding does not get you what you may have expected. Going for a drive to audition and pick up speakers is usually worth while and it is the safest way to get your speakers home undamaged and can be cheaper than shipping. I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and most all my Klipsch have been packed and shipped to me all the way from the US, some as far away as the southern coast.

I do agree with wvu80 that you do need to make rules for yourself and try to stick with them so long as you can see that they work and make sense they will keep you as safe as you can be. Stuff can and does happen and for that reason I prefer to deal with established Klipsch forum members and have never had a problem that was a deal breaker. Good people here.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Central NY so I took a drive to Albany yesterday (6 hour round trip) and ended up buying then. I gave him the asking price of $450. I normally never pay full price but they are in near new condition and they came with a KV series center channel and a pair of matching KV surrounds. I have no use for them so I'll sell them and that will be my discount. The grill are also in good condition but very dusty near the bottom. I'll wait for a warm, sunny day a give them a good hosing off. I have always liked the look of grills off so they can wait. Thanks for the heads up Lost240 !

When I got them home I hooked them up and they sound overly bass heavy. So I cranked up a variety mix of music and let them play for about 5 hour straight at a fairly loud volume. This morning when I played they seemed to have "balanced" out and sounded much better. The owner told me he had not played them in many years so maybe that accounted for the sound change or it could be I had to get accustom to there sound. 

As for the label, at first look it does look like there is no serial numbers but when I look with a magnifying glass I can see they were there but are now almost completely faded. I'm not really sure if I will ever be able to read them.

I plan on recapping the crossovers. So wondering if anybody has tried "downgrading" version 2/3's to version 1's by changing the crossovers values and replacing the short bass ports with version 1 ports? Could anyone (Moray James?) post the crossover schematics for all 3 versions? I know I saw the posted already but now I can't find them now. TIA

Edited by elviszappa

I live in Central NY so I took a drive to Albany yesterday (6 hour round trip) and ended up buying then. I gave him the asking price of $450.

You didn't really pay fair market price for CF-3's, center and surrounds for $450.  The CF-3's v3 alone I would value around $400-500 travel adjusted.  I know you had to drive 6 hours for these, but overall you got a nice deal, my friend.  :emotion-21:

Your reward?  Welcome to the club, the Klipsch Epic Owner's Club.  B)

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159405-klipsch-epic-owners-group/?hl=%2Bepic+%2Bowners

The version 3's are the most different from the first two because the woofers are lighter.  I don't know what it would take to retro-fit them to version 1's, sound-wise.

Rev.3 – Summer of 1995 to end of production in 1996 These models had new lighter cone woofers (new vendor) (these cones aren’t nearly as stiff as the originals and can be deformed much easier by pressing on them) Networks were changed to compensate for the new woofers Change in network wiring to colored 16ga. like what is used in Legend KLF networks New horn material that was 20% glass and was painted black.
Edited by wvu80

Thanks avguytx ... those links were just what I was looking. Sounds like you were happy with the results changing your crossover from a Ver. 3 to a Ver. 1. I thinking I am going to do the same.

A few questions if you don't mind. Where did you the longer port tubes? How would you describe the change to the low end with the different port tubes? Did you leave all the driver the same?

Thanks avguytx ... those links were just what I was looking. Sounds like you were happy with the results changing your crossover from a Ver. 3 to a Ver. 1. I thinking I am going to do the same.

A few questions if you don't mind. Where did you the longer port tubes? How would you describe the change to the low end with the different port tubes? Did you leave all the driver the same?

I found thick cardboard tube from a carpet supply store locally that was outside by the trash. It's 1/4" thick and very solid. Lowes has some that they let me have but I found the other stuff later. The low end is much more solid and very well extended. I have no complaints at all. The drivers are all stock...I'm not really worried about "upgrading" them.