Audiophile Hi-Res System Test; DSD or regular FLAC?

DizRotus

I'm tempted to buy this:

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/286419?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=!HDtracks%20Newsletters&utm_content=

using a 20% off coupon.  The download is available as DSD or "regular" FLAC.

I'll use my Pono player to play it in balanced mode through my "Wiener" TPA3118 amp. Apparently, the Pono player is capable of playing DSD files.  I'll confirm this with Pono tech support later this evening.

Is there any advantage to downloading in DSD format over "regular" FLAC?

Does anyone have any experience with the recording?

• Like 1

Let us know here what you think?

I've been pretty selective of what DSD albums to download as I first had many of the same albums on vinyl, then reel to reel, then CD, then SACD... and now DSD. Next on my small DSD want list is Santana Abraxas.

With the exception of the downloaded files all that media takes up valuable space (some women prefer the term 'clutter').

I have to say doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result (i.e. better sound) does somethings work.  :)

Is there any advantage to downloading in DSD format over "regular" FLAC?

It's really not an easy question to answer as worded.  The answer needs a couple of if/then/else statements.  If the mastering is the same for both data formats. then there is little difference in how it sounds, assuming the FLAC files are 24/96 or even perhaps 24/48.

But I've found that more often than not, the mastering isn't the same.  The tools that allow mastering in DSD are still very expensive, therefore there is much less mastering (unless the file was converted from PCM to DSD, such as the Elton John DSD files found on his multichannel SACDs).

Less mastering = better sounding...I've found experimentally through my unmastering of music data files.

Chris

The problem with DSD is:

1) High frequency losses above 10 kHz

2) The inability to edit/remaster the files using low cost or freeware apps

3) The limitation of the wide range of players to handle DSD (foobar2000 is the only freeware player that I know of, and it requires a plugin)

4) The size of the files are really big--disproportionately big--without corresponding fidelity like you'd get with 24/96 FLAC flies.  If you're using Pono, you need to be aware of the files using up available storage

5) The potential for extreme HF noise producing aliasing due to the player's anti-aliasing circuitry, if they aren't up to the task

Other than that, no problem with DSD...if it isn't on a SACD already (which makes it extremely difficult to get off the disc as it turns out)...

;)

The problem with DSD is:

1) High frequency losses above 10 kHz

2) The inability to edit/remaster the files using low cost or freeware apps

3) The limitation of the wide range of players to handle DSD (foobar2000 is the only freeware player that I know of, and it requires a plugin)

4) The size of the files are really big--disproportionately big--without corresponding fidelity like you'd get with 24/96 FLAC flies.  If you're using Pono, you need to be aware of the files using up available storage

5) The potential for extreme HF noise producing aliasing due to the player's anti-aliasing circuitry, if they aren't up to the task

Other than that, no problem with DSD...if it isn't on a SACD already (which makes it extremely difficult to get off the disc as it turns out)...

;)

Chris,

This is just the kind of information I was seeking.

Regarding #1, I'm 67, I can't hear dog whistles, even with sub woofers.

For many of the reasons you discuss, as well as some others, I've come to the conclusion that it would be unwise to purchase DSD downloads, unless that was the only available format.  The Pono player's DSD capability is handy, but needn't replace other hi-res formats.

A final reason to not download the Audiophile Hi-Res System Test in DSD format is that HDTracks now informs me that the coupon code "HDSURVEYDE20" doesn't apply to DSD downloads.  I wonder if it's too late to change my responses to the survey that "earned" me the coupon code.

If I download it in FLAC, I'll report my findings.

• Like 1

Very cool.  I'll give it a try on my machine. 

It says that is handles only mono and stereo files, however.

Chris

Someone on the forums pointed out this free software from Tascam. I've not tried it... It only runs on 64 bit Windows or Mac (All Macs are 64 bit)

Bruce

http://www.tascam.com/product/hi-res_editor/overview/

Interesting, anyone use this SW for DSD Files on a PC running 64 bit Windows? If so, did you have any of the reported issues opening other (non-specified) software?

As I read the user manual, it also says that it really only does fades, combines, and conversions to and from DSD/PCM.  All the other EQ and filtering functions that Audacity provides seem to be absent.

Chris

I think they created it to go with their DSD recorder, hence the dearth of functions. It's only ver. 1.01. Perhaps they will add to it over time, or allow plugins to be added/used.

Bruce

There are a lot of free VST plugins that could potentially work, very well indeed, but I'd think that you'd have to apply them after converting DSD to PCM...?  DSD was meant to be an archiving format, IIRC, and not an editing format.

Chris

I finally downloaded the test album as FLAC 192/24. It's interesting. The test tracks remind me of the Sure Audio Obstacle Course record that came with a V15-III. The test tones should prove useful when dialing in my system. The music tracks seem to be well recorded. Don't be misled by "76" tracks, as many, such as the frequency test tones, are 10 seconds long.

As a aside, the coupon from taking the survey did not work. Stephan, of HDtracks, responded to my emails on a Saturday and refunded the missing discount. My experiences with HDtracks have always been positive.