La Scala setup wvu80 (Charging capacitors?)

wvu80

I think some had concerns about the 9 volt batteries and corrosion over time. I installed these charged coupled networks almost two years ago...around March 26th 2014.

post-4542-0-96940000-1457831380_thumb.jp post-4542-0-88260000-1457831444_thumb.jp

I pulled the back panels just to see if the batteries had corroded. Not at all.

I measured each 9 volt RayOVac after pulling them, one measured 9.51 volts, the other 9.53.

The new Duracells I just installed measured 9.6 volts each.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144492-crossover-roadshow/page-1

From what I've seen on epay, I think I'd rather order the oil filled motor runs from Mouser, Newark or Digikey.....Mouser carries the Cornell Dubilier brand, which is excellent.  Not cheap, but excellent.

I have ordered from this store on Ebay. The same capacitor is sold on Amazon by the same owner at a higher price than Ebay. I have also ordered some at Mouser too. I agree you will not go wrong with Cornell Dubilier, I use their parts in amplifiers I builds. 

http://stores.ebay.com/TEMCo-Industrial-Power-Supply/Run-Capacitors-/_i.html?_fsub=3474322011&_sid=850561031&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

They also have a website http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/. I was just checking and I like their prices and I like that they are 5% tolerance compared to Cornell Dublier 10%. Unfortunately, the smallest cap temco sells is 5 uF. Each AA network has two 2 uF caps and a 13 uF cap. This website carries a 7.5 uF, so four (actually 5) of them for $14 would take care of the 13 uF's on the AA. Mouser has some 2 uF caps for ~$14 each, so 4 of them would be $56. Total cost for oil caps $70 plus shipping for a pair of AA crossovers.

Does anybody have a good source for 5% 2uF motor run caps?

Edited by mustang guy

Just as an FYI about the deans/smiths charged coupled XO's... they were not Jupiter capped. Thad ordered jupiter capped XO's from dean AFTER he had lived with the battery biased units for some time. I own Mr. Smiths Jupiter XO's... I have two B2 sets that will probably not ever be sold.

I do expect an Alethea surprise in the mail for my LSii's in the not to distant future... I keep you guys informed.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Mustang guy, you cannot beat the prices at this vendor but I also needed a 4uf cap which they do not have. I found a reasonably priced one at Mouser. You go to their website and type in capacitor and on their options choose film capacitor and then motor run and then the value you want. Go to the price spot and click on the arrow and get the cheaper prices. Be sure your chose is oil field. All motor run caps are not oil filled. 

You can't beat the 5% tolerance either. On Mouser's site, there is another thing you need to look at and that is minimum quantity ordered. In the case of the 2uF, the one I pointed to was the only one they had sufficient stock in, oil filled, and could be ordered one at a time. They only have 11 left. Lead time on back-orders is about 2 months.

I think I have another part number for the 2uF caps.  Genteq C302L. I have found it available from many retailers, and the price is between $8-9 each. This is the best price I've seen: http://www.airstarsupply.com/product.aspx?cat=94&id=458. NOTE: I have no idea if they have these in stock. Lead time on GE caps I have seen out there is about a month. Be sure to check for stock status!

Edited by mustang guy

The LS's keep sounding better and better as I tune up my setup.  I have gotten a lot of tips but I wanted to share this advice from Zeus (Mark).  Read on.

On the Scalas, I think you have them toed in way too much, if you play around with the placement, I think you will find them to be amazing speakers. The problem is the footprint is huge in comparison the your 4s. Depending on how far you can sit away from them, you might even consider toeing them out, I did that with my Khorns and they sounded better. I had to enclose the backs so I don't need corners, but toed out was the way to go.

OK, just this morning I toed them more out per Mark's advice ^^^ about 50% from the previous 45 degree position.  I could not believe the difference in sound stage!  The improvement was dramatic.

Before, I could hear each speaker when playing, instead of just hearing sound.  Now the speakers have disappeared and the entire front wall is the speaker, with no loss of dynamics. 

This is exactly the kind of sound I was looking for.

I did a little googling on your CF4's and was impressed with what I found. 

http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/Klipsch/CF-4-EPIC-SERIES/HUG/48564.html

I did know they were an old speaker that was only made for like 2 years. Are they LaScala's, no, I thought you needed to do something different. I like the sound of mine not toed in much or any better. The horn bass will spoil you. Just a warning.

That's a good review, very accurate to my way of listening.  This line sums up the CF-4's to me:

These do not sound like audiophile speakers, they sound like live music.

• Like 1

The LS's keep sounding better and better as I tune up my setup.  I have gotten a lot of tips but I wanted to share this advice from Zeus (Mark).  Read on.

On the Scalas, I think you have them toed in way too much, if you play around with the placement, I think you will find them to be amazing speakers. The problem is the footprint is huge in comparison the your 4s. Depending on how far you can sit away from them, you might even consider toeing them out, I did that with my Khorns and they sounded better. I had to enclose the backs so I don't need corners, but toed out was the way to go.

OK, just this morning I toed them more out per Mark's advice ^^^ about 50% from the previous 45 degree position.  I could not believe the difference in sound stage!  The improvement was dramatic.

Before, I could hear each speaker when playing, instead of just hearing sound.  Now the speakers have disappeared and the entire front wall is the speaker, with no loss of dynamics. 

This is exactly the kind of sound I was looking for.

Don't stop moving them around just yet. If you can move them deeper into the corners and actually toe them out (for kicks) see what happens, and then start slowly toeing them in until you find the sound you are looking for. And Mookie has great advise, go buy a bunch of the most expensive monitoring gear you can find and use it. Then put it in the closet or sell it and go back to what your ears tell you. You shouldn't get away with not spending a LOT of $$$. And as a group we can help you spend some serious amounts of coin. :D :D :D

BTW, if you like the looks of grills, I have a source for them, it would be a nice way to start spending the money you didn't pay for the speakers. To help you spend some more money, I can tell you the source for a "small" finders fee

Anything to help you out

Mark

• Like 2

Mark:  Thanks, "pal" I'll just hire you as my personal shopper.  I'll just write you a blank check and you pick up whatever I need, or don't need as the case may be.  Don't forget to include your well deserved finders fee.  B)

+++

I will take your advice on the toe-out.  I'll play with those settings in the next couple of days and get back to you with results. 

And seriously, if I do keep these I would probably like some grills.  Thanks for the resource.

+++

Best thing you can do is add a proper horn loaded subwoofer to your pair of La Scala's after you update those crossovers.

Takes your sound to a whole new level of enjoyment.

Are you nuts about a giant horn loaded sub?  I already had to take out my little Klipsch RW-12d due to lack of space.  I have both a 12" and a 15" but no room for either one.  I'm hurtin' here!  :wacko:

And what will take my sound to a whole 'nuther level of enjoyment is if my wife lets me keep them in the living room!  :unsure:

+++

That entertainment center has the audio gear (2 pieces) on the left and the MTM center on the right.  The wife does not want the center on top under the TV as she says it makes the TV too tall.  The center is currently equidistant between the L/R.  There are center doors which could be removed and the BD player could go in there, but it is not wide enough for the AVR.

What I would like to do is squeeze that Klipsch sub into the space where the audio stuff currently is, then move the electronics on top of the left La Scala.  Thoughts?

Living room, with current toe-in:

post-58280-0-96880000-1457899525_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Mark:  Thanks, "pal" I'll just hire you as my personal shopper.  I'll just write you a blank check and you pick up whatever I need, or don't need as the case may be.  Don't forget to include your well deserved finders fee.  B)

+++

I will take your advice on the toe-out.  I'll play with those settings in the next couple of days and get back to you with results. 

And seriously, if I do keep these I would probably like some grills.  Thanks for the resource.

+++

Best thing you can do is add a proper horn loaded subwoofer to your pair of La Scala's after you update those crossovers.

Are you nuts about a giant horn loaded sub?  I already had to take out my little Klipsch RW-12d due to lack of space.  I have both a 12" and a 15" but no room for either one.  I'm hurtin' here!  :wacko:

And what will take my sound to a whole 'nuther level of enjoyment is if my wife lets me keep them in the living room!  :unsure:

+++

That entertainment center has the audio gear (2 pieces) on the left and the MTM center on the right.  The wife does not want the center on top under the TV as she says it makes the TV too tall.  The center is currently equidistant between the L/R.

What I would like to do is squeeze that Klipsch sub into the space where the audio stuff currently is, then move the electronics on top of the left La Scala.  Thoughts?

attachicon.gifIMG_4640.JPG

Nuts ? No.

Maybe a bit twisted sometimes. :blink:

Long style THT laid on its side with some matching shelving on top for components and the TV on top can be made nice enough to replace your audio stand and keep the wife happy.

That way you both get what you want. :)

• Like 1

I think you need a bespoke TV stand like me and my son made for his difficult room. That way you can get that center speaker in the center, and keep the electronics off those beautiful LaScalas. Here's my son's TV stand. We used oak veneer, mocha stain and poly. This stand is 50" x 20":

RK2jgkxl.png

mNB2dIbl.jpg

GhvZ28Cl.jpg

Yell at me if you wanna do that. I got the big table saw, and we can cut all the boards for you in a couple hours. We just need to draw up a design. 

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

+++

+++

+++

That entertainment center has the audio gear (2 pieces) on the left and the MTM center on the right.  The wife does not want the center on top under the TV as she says it makes the TV too tall.  The center is currently equidistant between the L/R.

Nuts ? No.

Maybe a bit twisted sometimes. :blink:

Long style THT laid on its side with some matching shelving on top for components and the TV on top can be made nice enough to replace your audio stand and keep the wife happy.

That way you both get what you want. :)

I bet that end table sub (table tuba) would work in the back left.     Link to a success table tuba end table build: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22782 and http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23024

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

+++

+++

+++

That entertainment center has the audio gear (2 pieces) on the left and the MTM center on the right.  The wife does not want the center on top under the TV as she says it makes the TV too tall.  The center is currently equidistant between the L/R.  There are center doors which could be removed and the BD player could go in there, but it is not wide enough for the AVR.

So this is the "Thanks" I get for trying to help you spend a little coin? Let me check with the forum member who can CNC some grills for you. For what you paid for the Scalas, I think adding grills will be relatively inexpensive and makes a huge impact on the look.

Speaking of, do you know the definition of Relative Humidity? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. If you're from south of the Mason Dixon line, you should

Mark

• Like 1

Yell at me if you wanna do that. I got the big table saw, and we can cut all the boards for you in a couple hours. We just need to draw up a design.

Wow, no kidding?  Great offer, let me mull it over and see if the wife would go for it.

That is a super nice design, and frankly it would solve a lot of my problems.  The original hutch was made to put some medium bookshelf speakers on the sides, but a center speaker never had anywhere to go.

• Like 1

Wow, no kidding?  Great offer, let me mull it over and see if the wife would go for it.

That is a super nice design, and frankly it would solve a lot of my problems.  The original hutch was made to put some medium bookshelf speakers on the sides, but a center speaker never had anywhere to go.

Also, if you want to do the table tuba, I have the plans. You'll need to spend some coin on 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. You will also need to spend some bucks on a driver. Jason could probably recommend the best driver for a TT. Oh, and you'll need an amp. The Bash 300 at parts-express are great. 

• Like 1