Question about Tangent 400

kevinmi

I have a chance to buy a pair of Tangent 400 speakers. They look like Hereseys that have been stretched longer.

Does anybody have any experience with these that could enlighten me as far as the sound, value, etc? 

Seller is asking $400.00 / negotiable. Any idea what they are worth? 

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Hey Kevin, I saw those in Burton. I am in Howell and check the local CL every day. I have heard them back when they were new and they actually sound really good. They sound more like a Forte than a Heresy as the bass digs deeper. I was tempted to buy them myself.

I am pretty sure this seller listing them just bought them about a month ago from another local seller on CL for $250 and they are trying to flip them. At the time they were listed originally I had exchanged emails with the seller about buying them but never got out that way. If that is the case they may take a best offer that is significantly less. As I recall they are kind of scratched up but overall in pretty good shape.

Tim

Seen a few over the years. Minty only brings around 3 to 4. And that is usually a hard sell.

$At $250 for those whose looks are maybe 7/10, $$!50 to $200 is tops for me as a buyer. Sold a pair of T-500's here for $200 that were 8/10 needing new grill cloth.

I had a pair several years ago and thought they were solid performers. Not as much bass as a Forte but more than a Heresy. A lot of people don't like them because of the thin cabinet walls and cheap vinyl wrap finish, but that's pretty much common place now unless you buy top models or the heritage line. I think I only paid $200 for mine and feel they could be worth a little more in top shape. Overall a decent speaker but Forte's can often be found for around the $400 mark and have nicer cabinets and better bass.

• Like 1

Tangent 400 has the exact same parts as a Heresy II, including the legends on the crossover circuit board. A coworker has a pair and they sound very good. I think they are rated down to 32-35hz. The cabinets aren't as solid as the HII. They were sold through base exchangges.

I had thought of getting the HII to HIII upgrade package, which would have left me with all the HII parts. Then I would build some nice BB tangent cabs to hold the parts.

Bruce

• Like 4

That is right Marvel about the parts. We had a couple or more conversations in the past about the T-400'. Thinking they have more bottom end than my T-500's from what can recall.

Last I knew, member still has them. Can see paying $200-$250 for decent set, if keeping the cabs for either model.

• Like 1

Tangent 400 has the exact same parts as a Heresy II, including the legends on the crossover circuit board. A coworker has a pair and they sound very good. I think they are rated down to 32-35hz. The cabinets aren't as solid as the HII. They were sold through base exchangges.

I had thought of getting the HII to HIII upgrade package, which would have left me with all the HII parts. Then I would build some nice BB tangent cabs to hold the parts.

Bruce

You've been talking about that for a while now... I hope you aren't as bad as me at finally getting started (and finishing) projects!

• Like 1

Totally that way... I've had a pair if LS cabs for 5 years, wanting to get them fixed up... Sold my good pair, have most of the parts, just never have quite enough time or money to finish them. Plus, I have no worksop or good space to work on them.

Then I see what other guys on here accomplish and it's downright embarrassing.

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks for all the good input. I might take a look at them tomorrow. If I like them, I'll offer $200. I already have my Modded K-horns, RF-5's, Frazier Model 7's, plus some B&W bookshelfers,  cheap pioneers, cheaper Yamahas, etc. Don't really NEED another pair of speakers......

• Like 2