Need help with serial # code for Klipschorn

jseehusen

The 17 is for the week of the year, if I'm remembering correctly. The 543 is simply the serial number for that particular speaker. And on Khorn's there should be individual serial numbers for each bass bin and for the top hats. So each pair should have 4 sequential numbers.

The WO is the finish... Walnut Oiled.

For a pair of Walnut Oiled in great condition, that price is fair. Though the crossovers are probably in need of a refresh. You might take that cost into account if you want them to sound "as good as new".

http://www.critesspeakers.com/prices-crossover_repair_kit.html

For Jsee. As an owner of K'horns, you really should read the Klipsch Heritage Codes in Two Channel section. Since they are pre-86, they will not have four serial numbers. The bass bin sticker and the serial on the edge of the top should match, respectively. The first two digits in the serial, in your case, simply tells us that your speakers were #'s 17,543, etc. Hopefully the other speaker is #544 or #542; if not... it's a mismatched pair. Read the "Codex".

There is no way, except researching the archived engineering books in Indianapolis, to determine week, day and original owner/ distributor to whom they were sold. That unfortunately, is a massive undertaking, and other than pinning down actual dates of completion, is not practical. I'm thinking about it, but not for at least a year.

As far as the crossovers.... Unless the previous owner replaced the "caps" within the last 5-10 years, then that is certainly in order. You can do it yourself if you have some soldering skills. Otherwise, consult with Bob Crites, or others on the Forum. As for me? I recommend the crossovers be modded to the A-4500 configuration. You should also change the midrange gaskets and diaphragms, replace the mid & tweeter diaphragms (or replace them with the CT-125's, etc.).

The idea is to bring the speakers back up to factory (or better...) specs.

Hope that helps

R/Marshall

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what year lascala's with serial number 8667704 would be. I've read the pdfs but still can't figure it out

67th week?

That not make a much sense, unless the stated S/N is incorrect.

Edited by Arrow#422