Reference premium va reference

Runnjacket

So I have a dedicated media room that is about 10.5 ft x 18ft that is prewired for 5.1. I'm debating between the RP and reference series.

Ceilings are about 9 feet with the speaker plates on the slated portion of trey ceiling. I'm worried RP would be too big for this space as my wife would prefer speakers don't stick out too much but I also want to make sure we have good sound

I have a Polk sub 505 to go with it

Also - any recommendations of a way to mount front and center speakers? If I get the surrounds I know they have a mount hole for them but not sure how to mount front and center

Thanks

I really despise Klipsch for naming the new low end models reference. They are not. They revolted icon series. Aka Best Buy cheap stuff. Do yourself a solid and get reference premiere. Not sure how you are talking about mounting. I'd get the 160 bookshelves for mains and maybe the 440c to go with the 240 surrounds. You got the sub covered. Find you a good deal on the set and you'll be happy for a long time to come.

• Like 2

The Reference Premiere series are really not any larger than the standard Reference series, but they are about 2.5" deeper AND rear ported.

If you're going to be pushing them right up against the wall, the standard Reference R-28f might be a better option.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either, but imo, the RPs just sound much better.

Just keep in mind...reference doesn't mean what it used to. Before 2014, it meant decent speakers for the price. Now it means budget speakers for those who seek to compromise.

RF-35s are going to be better than R-28Fs, as are 82 IIs, 3s, 3 IIs and 5s.

• Like 2

Just keep in mind...reference doesn't mean what it used to. Before 2014, it meant decent speakers for the price. Now it means budget speakers for those who seek to compromise.

besides the fact the name change the thing I hate most is they really aren't that big of a price difference. That is if they aren't running Black Friday deals all the time at like 200$ a tower for the Best Buy ones.
  • Like 1

I can't find a listing for the R28F woofer but it is in all likelihood similar to the one used in the RF35. The R28F does have a better horn than the RF35 does complete with "Mumps" and a Premier style tweeter driver. I would expect that the R28F should sound better than an RF35 based just on the better tweeter. No I have not had the chance to do a side by side but the woofers in the two systems ought to be pretty close in quality.

I think a good deal on a used set of RF35 and maybe some new horns and you might have the best of both for a good price. You can take a look at some of the parts in the link. That same woofer gets used in a number of good speakers. Hare to beat a good deal on used speakers but on sale a buddy just bought a new set of R28F at BB on sale for $450.00 the pair. So there are deals and options and Klipsch do seem to have raised the bar this year and that is good to know. I did get to have an in store demo of the R28F and though the room and system were not anything to write home about I was still impressed with them. Credit where it is due so thank you Team Klipsch.

http://reconingspeakers.com/?s=klipsch+R+28+f&post_type=product

I can't find a listing for the R28F woofer but it is in all likelihood similar to the one used in the RF35. The R28F does have a better horn than the RF35 does complete with "Mumps" and a Premier style tweeter driver. I would expect that the R28F should sound better than an RF35 based just on the better tweeter.

???

The R28f uses the poly/graphite woofer and aluminum tweeter from the Icon series. The horn also has a soft, less aggressive curve than the old RFs. Almost more like a simple wave guide than a horn.

The RF-35 uses the aluminum/"cerametallic" woofers and titanium tweeters with a much more aggressive tractrix horn profile.

The only thing I could see the R28f having over the older RF-35 is cabinet volume and bass extension.

• Like 1

One thing that nobody talks about is the horn design of the old Icon line  like the V, X and W series.  These all used a flower type horn and had a smoother presentation.  This may have lead to the new design in the RP line.  The I con V line I prefer to the current BB  speakers and the I con W life may have been a bit small for many of the klipsch fans.  But, comparison to similar size reference speakers, these lines offered great sound.

• Like 1

I can't find a listing for the R28F woofer but it is in all likelihood similar to the one used in the RF35. The R28F does have a better horn than the RF35 does complete with "Mumps" and a Premier style tweeter driver. I would expect that the R28F should sound better than an RF35 based just on the better tweeter.

???

The R28f uses the poly/graphite woofer and aluminum tweeter from the Icon series. The horn also has a soft, less aggressive curve than the old RFs. Almost more like a simple wave guide than a horn.

The RF-35 uses the aluminum/"cerametallic" woofers and titanium tweeters with a much more aggressive tractrix horn profile.

The only thing I could see the R28f having over the older RF-35 is cabinet volume and bass extension.

info I read described the R28F tweeter as a Premier style or technology tweeter (new suspension) I thought it said aluminum diaphragm but I would have to find it again to be 100%. I would prefer aluminum over titanium.

You have owned RF35 in the past and the Premier now so why not find a pair of R28F have a listen and report back you would be better able to judge the two. I can only compare to an old set of RF3 that belong to a friend. I imagine that I would prefer an RF35 to an RF3 though.

post-44375-0-89120000-1459364371_thumb.j

I've not heard the R-28f, but I have heard the K28f and know that they're nearly identical.

It's not just the materials, it's the voicing that Klipsch decides to impose on the Icon and current Reference series that ruins it for me.

It's really a good business move to attract the masses, but the midrange takes a back seat to the bass and lower treble. Midrange is blurry, recessed, and lacks detail. And, speaking of bass, the Icon/Reference series' woofers always just sound a bit slow and flabby compared to the super-tight cerametallic woofers.

Honestly, the best sounding Synergy/Icon towers I've ever heard were the old SF-3's.

I agree that titanium is not inherently better than aluminum, but it really boils down to the voicing for me.

PS. it pisses me off every time I have to refer to the current Icons as "Reference"

PS. it pisses me off every time I have to refer to the current Icons as "Reference"

Yeah, it's irritating.  If I tell someone I have some Reference (RF-62 IV... Which is also annoying that the next generation is II) speakers (someone who's just getting into HT and/or audio) immediately thinks of the new "Reference" line.

I agree the lower lines of Klipsch are way over priced.

When I bought mine--I didn't know a great deal about the different lines.

The only reason I bought them was for the price--

prices so low they can't be mentioned in public---

I did find a few issues and have been working to make

mine a better speaker without going 12 to 15 hundred dollars in debt.

At half price the 28Fs are a great deal imo.  I own them in one theater and they sound terrific imo.  So at half price yes.  If not, get the RP series by contacting at least 2 dealers and asking for their best price.  Or, if you are open to the idea, consider used and get the Reference series from days past such as the RF82s, RF62s, RF52s and filling in from there.  New is always nice.  So is saving $$ with a used one.  It's really a matter of preference.