Price Help - Late 70's Klipschorn - "B/C" vs "D"

zdeeds

Hi Guys-

Newbie here... Looking to possibly buy my first pair of Klipsch's today. Klipschorns no less! Figured to go big or go home :)

They are a pair of K-D BR's that have had a decent looking veneer and grill cloth applied (by the current and original owner). Bought in 1978, asking $2200.

I see plenty of prices around for the collared B/C versions, but nothing for D (decorators). Do they generally go for the same $? Does the added veneer/grill cloth help or hurt the value? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

As mentioned, photos would help. Without photos, the following is mostly generalized speculation.

Decorators typically go for less than factory finished versions of a similar vintage. Decorators that have been "finished" by an individual could have a lower value than unfinished decorators, or a value approaching factory finished. It all depends upon the quality of the work done.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

The photos help. My reaction is that the seller did a decent job of finishing them. They look nice. Nonetheless, IMO, the value is closer to that of unfinished decorators than factory finished. No one familiar with Klipschorns would mistake them for factory finished. Of course, none of that affects the way they sound.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Looks like floor planks on the speaker...in my opinion not worth 2200 but prices are going up. I would look for better ones for same price. Maybe talk him down after checking to make sure they are in good working order check tweeters midranges and woofers. Rick

Thanks for the comments DizRotus and Rick. I'm in St. Louis.

What is the typical sale price for unfinished decorators these days? If there are no issues, I'm planning to offer much less than the asking price.... Looking for guidance on current value to determine how low.

Here is my thought, D, C, B models all sound the same.  B's are desirable do to looks, so they typically fetch more.  I think even though those are done up nice, they don't qualify to be a B model.  That being said I feel that they are a little high on the price.  But if you like them and are willing to pay that, then they are worth it.  If it were me I would try and talk them down to the $1800.00 range.  Just my 2 cents.   Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I would not pay $2,200 for them. Value is dependent upon the local market and many other variables.  If you and the seller can agree on a price, then they're worth it to you.

Although the posts in this thread (https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/163090-looking-for-a-straight-up-trade-for-klipschorns/) do not contain photos, Brett's factory finished black Khorns are, IMO, a better bargain.

If you want to put in the work on them such as I did on mine you can make them look very good. But the price needs to come down to about 1800 I would think. There is always a pair coming up somewhere but you may have to drive. If these are close and you like them make offer. They do come apart if you need to haul them the tops section come off. Rick

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome by all.... very cool to get all of this info so quickly.

Those Chorus's do look very nice, I've certainly noticed and thought about them. I decided that since I've got some good corners in my office/guitar/listening room to try for some Khorns.

• Like 1

I would contact Bill and see what you could work out on the timing. A trip up I-55 and back... been there, done that before, but Bill is a stand up guy and as you say, it's a killer deal. It wouldn't cost $500 to make the trip and those are in NICE shape.

Bruce