DVD player? changer? CD player? HELP!

jwadd21

I can't decide whether I should have a separate DVD player and CD player, or just get a DVD player and use it for cd's. Also, I don't know if I should go for a disc changer if I only get the dvd player, I think I might. Also, should I get one that matched my receiver? like an HK to match an HK, or is that irrelevant? HELP!

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

DVD Player: JVC Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

so stand alone cd players have better sound than a dvd player? isnt dvd sound better than cd sound though?

and i still have other ?'s up there :-)

------------------

MY SYSTEM

i listen to cd's ALOT, so I think i'll get a stand alone player. what is a good brand to look at? i have been thinking about the marantz cc3000

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Probably the main difference is cost and convenience. If you want to listen to several CDs without getting up to change them, you'll need a changer. DVD's with changers are considerably more expensive than without. You might spend less for a separate CD changer. Definitely, if you don't mind getting up to change CDs, just get a single disk DVD player.

I just bought a new HT system. I already have a CD changer, a Pioneer PD-M601 with 6-disk cartridges. I have 6 or 7 extra cartridges where I store CDs grouped by type of music or composer. I plan on keeping it for convenience and bought a single disk DVD player.

My old CD changer does not have digital output, though. I don't know if the new ones do or not. Once I get things set up, I'll compare identical CDs to see if the DVD digital output makes a difference. If so, I may stick with playing CDs on the new DVD player.

So so cd's sound better on cd players than dvd players?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

"I listen to cd's ALOT, so I think i'll get a stand alone player. what is a good brand to look at? i have been thinking about the marantz cc3000"

I don't know much about the Marantz, but an excellent CD player for 2 channel is the Rega Planet. This machine has been discussed ad nauseum in the 2 channel forum, and is available on the used market. It was a big improvement over my DVD machine in 2 channel. My wife is just as impressed with the sound as I am - she no longer uses the DVD for CD playback since the Rega arrived. A simple explanation of the Rega sound: Smooth, yet detailed audio without the digital harshness so common in CD playback. It is the perfect pill to cure the "digital edge" - a very musical machine. Marvelous with Klipsch.

I didn't believe there was so much difference either - but when I spotted a Rega Planet in a local pawn shop, I had to bite, given all of the good reviews here. Once hooked up in my system, I was sold in 30 seconds.

While it is true that DVD's will satisfy most listener's needs, a separate machine is in order for those who want the best CD playback possible. If you get a Rega and you don't like it, you can always sell it - likely for what you paid for it. Used, it should be available for $450 (or less if you are lucky - I was).

You can always get a DVD changer as well if you need the multidisc flexibility. Use the Rega for critical 2 channel listening, use the DVD for video and when the flexibility of a changer is needed (parties, etc). Then you have the best of both worlds. DVD machines can be quite reasonable these days (depending on your other video needs) so it's possible to do both if you need all of the features.

You may also be satisfied with the DVD only. I thought I was, until I got the Rega.

I 2nd dndphishin's rec for the Rega Planet. I too just bought one for my 2-channel system, and prefer it in a big way over my Panasonic RP-91 DVD-V/DVD-A player for CD playback. I will also agree with Keith however on DVD-A's versus redbook CD's. I use the Panasonic in my Solid State HT rig and DVD-A is very special indeed...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

jwadd21,

Since you listen to CDs a lot, I would suggest you buy a dedicated CD player. I used to play my CDs on a DVD player until I acquired a Rega Planet. The improvement in sound quality was much more than I expected. At around $400 for a model in first rate condition, I dont think you can go wrong.