Small city, great symphony and hall...

Mallette

Surprised I am writing this.  Much as I love my home town of Texarkana I'd not really gone out of my way to sample the Texarkana Symphony Orchestra as I did not expect much.  I've been to many second tier city orchestra concerts and halls, including many much larger than Texarkana (150k metro) and been quite disappointed. 

Boy, was I surprised.  I've known the hall, a former opera house and movie palace of the 1920s restored by Ross Perot, all my life  As I child, I saw Ben Hur, the Ten Commandments, and many other films there sitting downstairs and feeling discriminated against as the balcony was reserved for African Americans who even had their own entrance.  Then, it was seriously faded glory but I still marveled at what I saw and wondered what it looked like in it's prime. 

So, there I was, sitting in a choice cross aisle seat dead center in the formerly restricted balcony in the glorious restoration as Marc Andre Bougie, maestro, took the stage with his incredibly beautiful African American wife to experience the 10th anniversary of a symphony I never dreamed would exist.   The opening number was called "Flourish," and was commissioned by the TSO from Clint Needham, Texarkana native and young composer whose fame is rapidly growing.  Won't attempt to describe the music anymore than I would a painting, but it was fabulous.  Next was the Beethoven triple concerto with three incredibly good soloists, tow playing 17th century instruments of great merit and the other the Steinway grand.  Not a flubbed note anywhere or even more shocking, not a single burble French horn.  Further, Maestro Bougie displayed both an extraordinarily entertaining conducting style and completely commanded the orchestra which stayed together with total precision...yet another rarity in second tier symphony orchestra. 

The Brahms First was equally executed with bravado and precision, the French horns, trombones, and clarinet providing equal to any cohesiveness and musicianship. 

4 curtain calls and hoots of approval, including mine.

Besides the above, I can state without reservation that the acoustics are superior to Jones Hall, home of the Houston Symphony, by a considerable margin.  HVAC was totally silent as they preserved the original low volume, high mass system which is rare these days.  There is one massive "rose" ornament over the orchestra seating the air comes from and two large, also ornamental, intakes back over the balcony.  You can see some of this in the image.

As Executive Director of the Regional Music Heritage Center I'll be working very closely with these people.  I am not known for being able to cover my feelings about music or musicians and I am very relieved that my true opinion will be honest. 

Dave

post-7390-0-86240000-1461529561_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-39480000-1461529629_thumb.pn

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

It is, and if all that weren't enough, the orginal Morton theatre organ resides in the catacombs beneath awaiting resurrection.  I MUST live to hear Scott Joplin on that instrument!  It will be a future RMHC project, as preservation is part of our mission.

Dave

Why is there a small row of seats facing outwards towards the audience?

If you look closely, those are on a rail and not fixed to the stage.  Something for a specific purpose and removable. 

Here's a shot of the symphony at Christmas and one of Marc Andre Bougie on the podium.  I still remain amazed this man stays here.  He directs the symphony, the regional chorale, and teaches at Texarkana College. 

Dave

post-7390-0-35880000-1461544335_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-61240000-1461544352_thumb.jp

Very nice! I never realized Texarkana was that big.

At one time, very big. Not so much now, but it will be again...it's what I came home for!   Over a hundred songs and pieces with Texarkana in the title or lyrics I've identified so far and I am sure there are more. 

Dave

The opening number was called "Flourish," and was commissioned by the TSO from Clint Needham, Texarkana native and young composer whose fame is rapidly growing. Won't attempt to describe the music anymore than I would a painting, but it was fabulous.

Is there a link to a Youtube vid for Flourish?  I'd like to hear it.

+++

Interestingly enough, there is a tune called Flourish, played here by the North Texas Wind Symphony.  North Texas has a great school of music.

Edited by wvu80

Is there a link to a Youtube vid for Flourish? I'd like to hear it.

No.  I am going to ask the public radio station manager why the concerts aren't being recorded for broadcast on the local station.  It MIGHT be something the Regional Music Heritage Center could do.  I have a recordist in mind...  :ph34r:

Dave

Interestingly enough, there is a tune called Flourish, played here by the North Texas Wind Symphony. North Texas has a great school of music.

Clint's is "Flourish for Orchestra," and, good as he is, he isn't Ralph.

Dave