A Fire of Near Biblical Proportions

Wolfbane

Read about that in the news a little while ago, suprised they let cars pass that close on the highway.

Good luck with the medical emergency.

The video link is from film taken yesterday at Ft. McMurray, Alta. I believe you are probably thinking of the Slave Lake, Alta fire a few years ago.

As to the highway this is in the bush of NE Alberta, there is just one road into and out of the city (Highway 63) and that was the only way out for the 80,000 people they evacuated.

When the winds pick up later today, they expect to much lose more of the city as this fire is massive.

I was there three times for work in 2014/2015. This is awful for the residents and the thousands of workers that live in this little town. One highway in and one small airport. Hundreds of miles from any major civilization!

Rick

I was there three times for work in 2014/2015. This is awful for the residents and the thousands of workers that live in this little town. One highway in and one small airport. Hundreds of miles from any major civilization!

Rick

They are truly caught between a rock that's on fire (Ft. Mac) and a hard place (Edmonton or Suncor's Firebag Facility and Camp). The converted the highway lanes so that south of the city all lanes are now southbound and north of the city all lanes are northbound. No casualties getting away, so far, and that's impressive.

The news tonight said it was chaos there.

JJK

The fire has consumed 1500 structures as of now including parts of downtown. My second cousin was transferred from Ft. Mac to Calgary by the bank he works for just on May 1st. He, his wife and two children moved a week ago and missed the fire but no word on their home there which was for sale and vacant.

The Canadian military has a large airbase at Cold Lake and another army base in Edmonton they arer involved but the priority has been on getting 80,000 people out of the city safely on the single highway.