New Dynaco ST-70 Series 3 coming in July!

tube fanatic

One of my designer buddies just informed me that a Canadian company will be re-introducing the Dynaco ST-70 (as a series 3 model) in July.  There was a very interesting discussion about this on DIY starting about a year ago:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/272648-dynaco-st-70-series-iii.html

Needless to say, some of the guys are a bit upset since they stand to lose market share if this amp is good (see Bob Latino's comments in the above thread).  But, for the anticipated $1200 price tag (especially if it is factory built), if it turns out to be a top performer, and addresses the issues of the original design, it should be a winner when paired with Klipsch speakers.  And, it will eliminate the need for anyone to even remotely consider spending 3-5 times that amount for a "Dynaclone" which certainly won't sound any better.  This will be worth watching!

Maynard

What was the difference in performance between one ST70 and 2 mono 40 wt Dyna amps?  I think they were called Mark IV.

At the old McIntosh Clinics, the Mark IVs would show a couple of percent points of THD in the extreme bass and treble, while the McIntosh 40 wt mono would show 0.1%.  They sounded about the same to me over the store's highly efficient JBL S8R three way speakers.  Perhaps McIntosh ran them both at full out 40 watts RMS, and the Mark IV may have really been only 35 wts RMS?  I always thought it odd that the ST70 (obviously, given the name) was rated at 35 w.p.c., and the Mark IV 40 wts.

Maynard, would the end result be the same as if you purchased and built the kit you just referenced in another thread?

Carl, are you referring to this unit?

http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/amplifier-kits/ST-70-KIT

I'm not familiar with what Kevin has implemented with his version of the ST-70, so I can't comment.  However, Justin Weber said in that other thread that his ST-35 is "awesome", so I would imagine that this will be excellent as well.  All it takes is quality output xfmrs- the rest of the circuit can be modified to do almost anything you want.  It's fairly easy to change the operating points of the tubes, change feedback characteristics, etc., to create a particular sound.  That said, it's common knowledge that I don't like push-pull amps under any circumstance! :D  

Two mono amps will always be better (at least in my experience) than a stereo amp sharing a common B+ rail between the channels.  Crosstalk is a very real issue in its effect on the sound stage, so anything which decreases it can only be beneficial.

Maynard

All it takes is quality output xfmrs- the rest of the circuit can be modified to do almost anything you want.  It's fairly easy to change the operating points of the tubes, change feedback characteristics, etc., to create a particular sound.  That said, it's common knowledge that I don't like push-pull amps under any circumstance! :D  

I was under the impression that the ST70 output transformers where the weakest link in the amp 

Edited by davesans

Radial Electronics in Canada owns both Hafler and Dynaco. I own a few of their guitar products, they are excellent. Hopefully their Dynaco gear is just as good. They have released a number of products under the Hafler name, tube and solid state headphone amps, phone preamps for mm/mc, and a couple of other things.