Basic Soldering

eth2

Always use 63/37, unless your leads are silver - then use a good silver based solder (I like WBT).

Almost all solder now has a rosin core, so you don't really need flux unless the working area has been compromised. If you are working with new parts - you don't need it.

Don't feed the solder into the tip - ever. Slightly wet the tip, and then press the tip into the lead AND whatever is holding it. The entire area has to be at the same temperature.

Mass is much higher with point-to-point. Use heat sinks on your leads and protect your parts.

did you ever run across stranded wire that has black oxidization all through it?

This happens a lot. It can be caused by a mountain of different things. A few I've seen are salt water, battery acid, and poorly made wire. Once the wire is in this condition it is impossible (for me anyway) to solder.

Zinc chloride liquid flux can clean that as well as making stainless steel solderable.

Thank you, I didn't know that. I have been in circumstances where I absolutely had to use that crappy black wire, and I usually used emery and worked it until the wire was cleaned off. Huge PITA. I would rather replace this wire, but when it is going into a big wire harness, sometimes it's the only way.

Point of note. I figured out a great way to clean paint off electrical wire. Scotch pad and brake fluid. It doesn't eat into the insulation, the brake fluid slowly dissolves the paint while making the insulation more rubbery and resistant to the scotch pad. I cleaned a ton of them on that 66 Beatle I did. All of these wires were painted black:

IMG_1935.jpg

Edited by mustang guy

Yes, nice video within limits.

I've been very happy with my Weller WES51 which is the $100 analog type.  I'm a broken record on that.  There are similar ones by other manufactures.  Hakko comes up in ham reviews.

There is so much in the video about tip and barrel size that anyone is left wondering what to do making a selection of those items.  IMHO, the Weller out of the box tip is a nice "momma bear" choice.  Yup, not suited for soldering to big pieces of brass-copper, or tiny pcb pads.  Most people here are doing neither with crossovers.

The video is a bit dismissive of temperature controlled irons, like the Weller.  IMHO, unwarranted.  The video goes on to describe problems with work piece temperature and damaging the board, if not components, and that these must be addressed by careful technique.  True.  IMHO the temperature controlled iron does a lot to address that.

The eutectic solder gets only a brief mention.  I really like it.

Of course soldering takes a bit of learning.  When you're an expert you can work with the cheap RS or PE irons when you must.  But newbies will be best served by a temperature controlled unit. Experts will not work with anything else.

You'll also need a bulb type solder sucker.  Molten metal has the viscosity of water and the bulb type unit will clear the old solder.  Yup you need to clear the nozzle with a paper clip, and some swear words sometimes -- but not always.

I'll now shut up about soldering for a year.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD

I invested in a rather extravagant desoldering tool. The Hakko FR-300. I like it a lot. It does so much in so little time. It wasn't a need, it was a luxury!

Incidentally, I just use a propane torch to clean my bulb. Heat, then squeeze. Everything spits right out good as new.