U.S. Open: Some Excitement at the turn

Travis In Austin

I just find it ridiculous that the USGA can't make a decision on the stroke penalty currently. Hopefully DJ will just lead by more than two strokes and render the USGA irrelevant. 

I will see your RIDICULOUS and raise you one more RIDICULOUS as to why that ball movement should be a penalty in the first place.

The purpose of a rule is to give everyone a level playing field and to make sure a player can't gain competitive advantage so if the ball rolls a half turn, or moves a half inch, then yeah, I can see that.  But for a ball to stay in place and shimmy

RIDICULOUS.  :angry:

• Like 1

I just find it ridiculous that the USGA can't make a decision on the stroke penalty currently. Hopefully DJ will just lead by more than two strokes and render the USGA irrelevant. 

I will see your RIDICULOUS and raise you one more RIDICULOUS as to why that ball movement should be a penalty in the first place.

The purpose of a rule is to give everyone a level playing field and to make sure a player can't gain competitive advantage so if the ball rolls a half turn, or moves a half inch, then yeah, I can see that.  But for a ball to stay in place and shimmy

No, it's not ridiculous.  Those of you who are calling this ridiculous apparently don't play golf, or if you do, don't fully follow the RULES.  Golf's rules are very specific, and have been honed over many decades.  My dad taught me to play golf when I was a very young man over 50 years ago, and the absolutely most important lesson he impressed upon me then and for many years after, is that when you sign up to play the sport, you sign up to follow the rules that are in place, no questions.  Otherwise you are doing nothing but cheating yourself.

If you think that the USGA had'n't already made a determination about what happened prior to DJ finishing the round, you are sadly mistaken.  They knew that they would have to address the situation immediately whether he was either 1 or 100 shots in front.  

I invite our resident pro to comment on this, will be interested to hear Zeus's take.

No, it's not ridiculous.  Those of you who are calling this ridiculous apparently don't play golf, or if you do, don't fully follow the RULES.  Golf's rules are very specific, and have been honed over many decades.  My dad taught me to play golf when I was a very young man over 50 years ago, and the absolutely most important lesson he impressed upon me then and for many years after, is that when you sign up to play the sport, you sign up to follow the rules that are in place, no questions.  Otherwise you are doing nothing but cheating yourself.

If you think that the USGA had'n't already made a determination about what happened prior to DJ finishing the round, you are sadly mistaken.  They knew that they would have to address the situation immediately whether he was either 1 or 100 shots in front.  

I invite our resident pro to comment on this, will be interested to hear Zeus's take.

I play golf - not very well, and I do understand rules. After all, I am an accountant who battles the IRS over nitpicky terms on US tax code pretty frequently. 

My personal beef is this - why the heck can the USGA not just say yes or no to a penalty stroke immediately...why do they wait till the end of the round? Dustin said he didn't think he moved it. So, USGA has Dustin's side of the story and then they have their own determination. Say it one way or another. 

Rory, Jordan, and Rickie all agree that the USGA not making a determination was a flaw. If those guys who play on the highest level say that, I tend to think that the USGA needs to take a look at possibly revise the rule. 

Edit - to clarify - my beef is partly with the rule, but mainly with the timing around the rule. 

Edited by homeskizzle
  • Like 1

I do play golf (badly) and I do understand the rules, including that rule being discussed which was recently revised.  I consider myself a rules junkie, being a certified ump/ref in a couple of sports.

That being said, it's ridiculous on several levels.  I leave it to the gentle reader to decide whether to be incensed on all levels, or none.

It's a free country.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

The Judge blew the call by saying no foul, then when the other judges said there would be a later ruling, then all the Judges were wrong.

The rule does not really make sense, probably should be changed, but hey, this is golf.

DJ doing that practice swing so close to the ball, he deserved the penalty.

AND, how is he so good at striking the ball with a wife like that?

FOX still has a way to go for Golf coverage.