My La Scala's date code

Hagar

I have a set of Klipsch La Scala's with the AL3 crossovers. I've had them for several years and am the second owner.

But I can't for the life of me figure out the year they were made.

YES, I have looked at all the PDF's, files and, well you tell me if you can?

P/N 09000711200

S/N 22923

W/O 4169

post-60036-0-16200000-1467684985_thumb.j

WO is Walnut Oiled, Common

+++

S/N 2 29 23

I am not an authority, but I'm going to say:

first digit is Week 2

then the year is the next two digits 29 reversed, so 1992

The unit was the 23rd one built

Have you looked to see if there are any numbers stamped into the top?

This one uses the letter "T" so it is from 1979.

post-58280-0-25280000-1467724952_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

If your crossovers are original with that pair, then the date is at least 1989, as that was when the AL-3 was introduced.  Therefore, you wouldn't have any numbers stamped into the top.

That label is odd....Normally, with La Scala's, you would have the code on the first line, LS (for La Scala), then the veneer or finish immediately after that such as BR (for Birch Raw, etc)  Somehow, that serial number just doesn't look right to me, seems that there are digits missing at the beginning.  I assume that the labels from both speakers are similar?

I would also think that the "W/O" does not mean Walnut Oiled, but rather a "Work Order" number....

I got all my info from the usual source pinned to the Tech Mods sub-forum:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144391-klipsch-data-from-glarea51-and-he-credits-others-thanks-mm/

I also had the same questions Hagar had.  The numbers just don't seem to add up.

I see what you mean about the W/O followed by a number.  I had never seen a Work Order mentioned WRT serial numbers and of course you might be right.  My only question after that is if W/O does not stand for the color/finish, where is the color/finish code?

Hagar might confirm if the finish is Walnut Oiled.  If it is NOT that would confirm the idea of Work Order for W/O.

+++

Jimbo your statement of when the stamped numbers were discontinued would helpful if integrated into the S/N thread I linked to above.  That thread is helpful but I find the initial post a bit disorganized and confusing.

Do you guys have any guesses as to the date of birth?  If we could decipher that it might help with the rest of the numbers.

Jimbo your statement of when the stamped numbers were discontinued would helpful if integrated into the S/N thread I linked to above.  That thread is helpful but I find the initial post a bit disorganized and confusing.

Dave, not entirely sure that I actually read this in an "official" document (RE: 1983), but I believe I was simply told this by a very knowledgeable person here on the forum.....of course there are several thousand of those folks hangin' around..... :ph34r:  

And as I mentioned, normally the model (LS) and then the finish (BR, etc) would be on the first line of the label, not the last, and not followed by a number.....

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

+++

S/N 2 29 23

first digit is Week 2

attachicon.gifIMG_4636.JPG

the S/N numbers has nothing to do with the year they were made

edit: i don't know what the numbers on this line mean. everything is in the P/N line

the P/N numbers have everything to do with the year they were made

these are 1990's or 2009's 

i'm gonna go with 1990

1983 was the last year they stamped the numbers into the wood ( Y )

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

+++

S/N 2 29 23

first digit is Week 2

i'm gonna go with 1990

Please explain and detail your reasoning behind your statements

+++

S/N 2 29 23

first digit is Week 2

i'm gonna go with 1990

Please explain and detail your reasoning behind your statements

all the numbers in the P/N line stand for the year they were built and i believe the last 4 are the serial numbers

i ordered and bought 4 cornwall 3's back in 07 and they were all consecutive 0001-0002-0003-0004

can't remember if the P/N started with 07 or 70

these start with 09 which i think are 1990

Edited by Budman

All of the Klipsch employees who made these back in the day would know what the SKU means. You are all correct in thinking that the year is in there somewhere. Now we simply need an employee or ex-employee to chime in and give us the dirt.

I for one would like to know who's guess is right. Budman has an advantage since he has some speakers with similar numbers and remembers about when he bought them etc. :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have tried to unravel this mystery.

I wrote to Bob Crites about getting the crossovers rebuilt and asked him if new the date they were built. And he said

"I am not sure on the date for those.  Doesn’t seem to fit the date codes I have.  They could have been made for the professional market, and in that case do not follow the normal codes."

They are BLACK.

post-60036-0-66000000-1467846670_thumb.p

And while were at it, any thoughts from the Klipsch community on my crossover's.

Hence why I'm wondering about the exact age of these and would I benefit from a rebuild or new

TYPE AL-3 CROSSOVERS rebuild:  $160.00 (Bob Crites does it, and I think thats for the pair?)

or should I just replace with a

PAIR of TYPE AL-3 CROSSOVERS (specifically for Lascala) $375.00 (That is a pair)

or do it myself

REBUILD KIT FOR THE KLIPSCH TYPE AL-3 CROSSOVERS:  $123.00 + $7 S+H

The kit is just the capacitors and they are what deteriorate the most and most need replacing. 

I'd appreciate your insight before I go nuts and pull the plug.

Thanks,

Dave

post-60036-0-99360000-1467847378_thumb.j

I don't see where you "need" a new-from-the-ground-up set of crossovers so unless the $375 will substantially increase the quality of the sound, I would pass.

You could DIY for $130.  I am in learning mode and I more confident with soldering now that I got rid of my $8 rat shack soldering iron, so that is the option I would choose.  You should assess your own comfort level with the soldering iron before you choose this option.

But to spend an extra $30 to have Crites do it and know that it is done right, and will be plug 'n play?  That's peace of mind.

What the...Klipsch just wrote me with they think they were made sometime between 1959 and 1961! They want pictures of the crossover and or woofer. I mean, really that stamped identification sticker wasn't enough.

Sending my AL3's off tomorrow to Bob Crites to get rebuilt. Talked with him today and what a nice guy. 

Capacitors just deteriorate over time (15 to 20 years he's usually found). So we'll see.

• Like 1

What the...Klipsch just wrote me with they think they were made sometime between 1959 and 1961! They want pictures of the crossover and or woofer. I mean, really that stamped identification sticker wasn't enough.

That computer generated sticker must have been made with a really old computer! 

Yeah, no.  :rolleyes:

+++

Seriously, they've gotten your email mixed up with another email.  Just a little oopsie, not a big deal.  They'll figure it out.  B)