New here, long time Klipsch owner

gottajam

Newbie here. My beloved KG 5.5 gave out on me a few years ago and were unfortunately replaced with a pair that I now just am not happy with. I have seen a few threads on various forums about the Palladiums. I have become very interested in these. Just saw that they are on sale and it is driving me crazy. I could not afford the P39s but could easily afford the P37s. With a little reshuffling of a different hobby, I could get the P38s.

Unfortunately I could not audition these before I would buy them. But I am certain I would not be disappointed, more likely will be very impressed I think.

Do you guys think the price increase between the 37 to the 38 is worth it? Room is not very big, music 100% (no HT on stereo). LOVED the big clear warm sound of my old KG 5.5. 

Welcome Jam, I'd say go for the P38s. I think they have enough bass to listen to music without subs, where the 37s do need a little help on the low end.

Just curious, where are you located? Maybe someone could demo a set for you.

Newbie here. My beloved KG 5.5 gave out on me a few years ago and were unfortunately replaced with a pair that I now just am not happy with. I have seen a few threads on various forums about the Palladiums. I have become very interested in these. Just saw that they are on sale and it is driving me crazy. I could not afford the P39s but could easily afford the P37s. With a little reshuffling of a different hobby, I could get the P38s.

Unfortunately I could not audition these before I would buy them. But I am certain I would not be disappointed, more likely will be very impressed I think.

Do you guys think the price increase between the 37 to the 38 is worth it? Room is not very big, music 100% (no HT on stereo). LOVED the big clear warm sound of my old KG 5.5. 

I don't know where you planned on buying these speakers but I would for sure call not email for best price from

Sound Distributors would probably save you more money. I picked up my center and surrounds

from there to go with my 39's

Hey Ceptor. Located in Savannah, GA. On a different audio forum a member with a pair of 39s has made open offers (not specifically to myself), for people to stop by and take a listen. He feels that they are very good speakers and sounds like he has or has had some other nice speakers to compare them to in his own house / same listening environment. It is a little far from me, but who knows, I might contact him and take a trip up there.

Bad thing is that the sale ends in approximately 2 weeks and I would not be able to make it up there before then.

A1UC, I checked out Sound Distributors. Their pricing seems similar to Klipsch directly. Certainly worth a shot to give them a call when I am ready to buy next week. 

Edited by gottajam
  • Like 1

You must call to get better pricing. Authorized sellers cannot discount online. 

What speakers do you have now that you don't like? There are lots and lots of Klipsch speakers you could likely buy and NOT have to give up any hobbies that are much better than the KG 5.5's were. 

Lastly, consider the room, the placement, and the gear you are driving your speakers with. Has that changed since you had to can your KG-5.5's? These things can have as much of an effect on sound as the speakers themselves, and I'd hate to see you throw down serious cash for Palladiums if the other stuff was the actual reason for your displeasure.

Hey MG. My current system is Marantz MM 7025 power amp (140 WPC @ 8), Marantz AV7702 MKI pre / pro and Oppo 105D, dedicated to audio only. Speakers are B&W 683 S2 and ASW608 sub in corner of room. All cables are Audioquest mid level stuff, for whatever that is worth. I have seen many discussions on forums about the worth of upgrading cables. Decided to put some effort into it but didn't go full idiot about it.

Don't get me wrong, it does not sound like crap or anything. I am able to afford an upgrade and REALLY miss the expansive warm sound of the old setup. We listen to hard rock, classic rock, with some classical thrown in there. Wife likes a little country every now and then... yes dear. Have been recently getting into some SACD stuff since I got the Oppo a couple months ago. Now sometimes listening to some mellow rock when I feel like "critical" listening (Steely Dan / Pink Floyd, Rush, Donald Fagen, etc). 

My "old" system was the KG 5.5 with Adcom GFA 5500 and Adcom pre / tuner and various mainstream CD players over the years.

Room is fairly small 14' X 22" with one walkthrough to adjoining hallway in rear and walkthrough to breakfast nook (and subsequently kitchen) on the side near the front of the room. Also consideration is high WAF factor

Going from a stereo system to an AVR pre/pro is probably the thing. I feel for ya. If it were me, I would toy with the idea of buying a stereo system and use a Niles switch to power ONLY the mains and no sub. I have tried everything, and I can't get an AVR to sound like a stereo source. I am no expert with Marantz, and maybe there is a way you can do it. There is sooooo much processing that goes on etc inside an AVR that you just can't get that old sound.

Your mains are only 89db efficient and they aren't much good in the 50Hz and below region. Klipsch RF-7 II would be good to 30 Hz and are 101db efficient. The RF-7 at 100 watts would be equal to your speakers at 1,600 watts. You speakers are only capable of 200 watts, and the RF-7 II's are 250 RMS 1,000 peak.  If you go with RF-7 II's, then I would urge you to look at the RC-64 II as your center. Incidentally, both are bigger than what you have. Oh, and if I was listening to stereo music on my RF-7's, I would not be using the sub or Audyssey or whatever. I would just be in stereo if I could.

Edited by mustang guy

I saw you said 100% music no HT , I think if there was anyway you could listen to the Palladiums first that would be a smart move .

Bring some music that you like with you and make sure these speakers are for you .

I have the 39's and center /surrounds for HT use only . I could think of a few speakers for music I would pick first .

This is my personal opinion

Harbeth Super 5HL Plus    is a Awesome sounding speaker Edited by A1UC

Hey MG. My current system is Marantz MM 7025 power amp (140 WPC @ 8), Marantz AV7702 MKI pre / pro and Oppo 105D, dedicated to audio only. Speakers are B&W 683 S2 and ASW608 sub in corner of room. All cables are Audioquest mid level stuff, for whatever that is worth. I have seen many discussions on forums about the worth of upgrading cables. Decided to put some effort into it but didn't go full idiot about it.

Don't get me wrong, it does not sound like crap or anything. I am able to afford an upgrade and REALLY miss the expansive warm sound of the old setup. We listen to hard rock, classic rock, with some classical thrown in there. Wife likes a little country every now and then... yes dear. Have been recently getting into some SACD stuff since I got the Oppo a couple months ago. Now sometimes listening to some mellow rock when I feel like "critical" listening (Steely Dan / Pink Floyd, Rush, Donald Fagen, etc). 

My "old" system was the KG 5.5 with Adcom GFA 5500 and Adcom pre / tuner and various mainstream CD players over the years.

Room is fairly small 14' X 22" with one walkthrough to adjoining hallway in rear and walkthrough to breakfast nook (and subsequently kitchen) on the side near the front of the room. Also consideration is high WAF factor

If you have the room and your wife doesnt mind, have you considered getting into the heritage stuff? I have a set of KG 5.5s and LaScalas and while the KG's are fun to listen to and pump out tons of bass they cannot come close to matching the holographic sound of the LaScalas. The LaScalas can go either way with the WAF as they have more of a classic furniture look even though they are larger while the KG 5.5's are the stereotypical big imposing black boxes that women generally hate. As for wanting an upgrade but if you like the KG sound then I would go with the RF-7 II. I have heard around here a few times that they stack up well against the Palladium line.

I'll give a +1 to considering Heritage speakers. I have a pair of old KP-201s (professional Heresy 2s), KG5.2s and RP-280Fs and the Heresys are my favorite for any source material. I use them with an Adcom GFA-535 and GTP-500 preamp and nothing compares to them for how full they sound. Music pours right through like they're not even there! I was always a fan of my Klipsch speakers, but it really is a surprise how much more I enjoy them than I thought I would. They're a very warm sound, as well. The La Scalas, with their larger mid horns and horn loaded bass drivers, could only be more of a good thing.

As others have said: The p38s can probably stand without a subwoofer, so those may be your best choice between the 2. I have heard/owned heritage stuff and listened to palladiums. I love the heritage, but the palladiums offer a more open/modern sound. However, the heritage may sound a bit warmer and bigger. Honestly, if you bought the 38s you would be set for a long.....long time. I don't think they'll have any issue besting the B&Ws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well the P38s showed up. WOW! BIG boxes. Mad wife. She is a petite woman and the boxes were as tall her when stood upright. There much assurance that the boxes were much bigger than the speaker because of packing.

First impressions:

Appearance - They are very nice looking speakers. The wood looks great and passes WAF factor. Cool shape. Biggest speakers I have ever owned.

Shipping - Packed very securely in double boxes with large padding everywhere. Speaker was in a large "sock".

Connections - Sturdy, secure, shiney.

Sound - I also received a new Parasound A21 amp the day after I got these so I am babying them for a few hours before I open them up. I have read many different opinions about whether or not there is a "break in period" for audio equipment. My KG 5.5s sounded much better over time so I am going with that. They sound VERY good. I do not know all of the super articulate vernacular for describing audio, but they sound "transparent" in that the differences between something recorded well (various SACDs) and other music that is moderately recorded and some that is just old stuff (various rock / classic rock) is very noticeable. They sound clear and the imaging is great, even in my non-audio specific listen room (regular living room with furniture). You can tell that they are powerful and will be willing to jam (see my user name) when I want them to.

I will post some pics when I get a chance.    

• Like 2