Restor a Finish

Grizzog

Recently I picked up a pair of walnut Fortes in great condition. They are from '87 and just have some fine marks, but just generally look a little tired.

I've used Howard's Restor-a-Finish before, and it works great. I plan to use it on the Fortes as well, but I was wondering if I could use a slightly different color than walnut. My Altec 19s are walnut as well, but have a reddish tint to them. I'd love to have just a slight red tint on the Fortes as well, instead of straight brown.

Would it be an issue to use the mahogany RAF instead of walnut? I know it won't completely change the finish, but perhaps add just a tiny bit of red.

Yea, I'll probably try the back of the riser to begin with. Unfortunately I don't have any scrap walnut around. I highly doubt that particular product would change the color very much. I'll probably be doing that this weekend, so I'll keep you guys updated!

I'll also be getting the grills redone with the heritage black cloth. ...so my good price on fortes has turned into having new crossovers, titanium tweeters, restoring the finish, and changing the grills... They should be good for another 30 years!