Would the Hersey's work on a shelf?

kenratboy

If I built a shelf about 5 feet off the ground (made it deep, went into the studs, etc.) and put the Hersey's on it, would that work OK? I would be using a sub with them, so I wouldn't care about bass lost.

How well do you think that would work?

What does the bass of the speaker look like?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

It's Nitpicking time again my heart is achin' caus' I cant create the necessary nasal twang for realistic cryin'

Bass:

(1.) One of numerous fish types found in both freshwater and saltwater environments.

(2.) A large stringed instrument of the viola family.

(3.) The normal description for the audible frequencies below 150 hertz and the speakers or other devices designed to reproduce those frequencies.

Base:

The foundation or bottommost plate of a structure. The words are identically pronounced but do not have an identical meaning.

Beg-borrow-buy-or steal a dictionary!

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Yes, Heresys will work on a shelf...matter of fact they will work anywhere you wanna put them as long as the drivers and cross-over network are functional and wires with a signal are properly hooked up to them!! LOL!

Your best bet is to mount them UPSIDE DOWN up high to the ceiling and with the fronts angled downward towards your listening position...have the shelf in the CORNER at a downward angle and build a solid "lip" on the front of the shelf to support the front edge of the speaker and keep it from falling down...you MAY want to add a small "j" hook to the center of rear edge of the upper panel(in the case of upside-down mounting...this would be the middle REAR EDGE of the "bottom"...or uppermost panel of the cabinet) and hook the speaker to a small chain that is in turn hooked to another "j" hook in the corner of the room to help keep it from tipping over. I set up a pair of Heresys like this for a gal who worked at Klipsch once...sounded great...the ceiling acted as the floor would in the corner and helped to project the bass forward better!!

And, NO...the Heresy was NOT originally marketed as a bookshelf speaker...it was originally marketed as a floor standing speaker...still is.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 09-08-2002 at 09:04 PM

WOW the largest bookshelf speakers made! Great

Now I doubt you could label RF-7's or Cornwalls as bookshelf cwm27.gif

lynnm is a great english teacher,thanks to lynnm I can now use over 500 english words over and over!With this tiny vocabulary I will soon reach 3000 posts!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

lynnm: You want a medal for your typo observation? Give my your name, address, and phone number.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

KRB

I only comment regarding spelling or grammar when a user has shown an utter disregard at least 300 times for the English language. In your case I had allowed for an additional 50 instances because at times you display evidence of intelligence. I suspect that my confidence will prove to be misplaced but one never knows for certain....

P.S. While you're sniffing through the dictionary --- Do look up Cretin.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Hard to recall the marketing literature from 30 years ago. Maybe I think they were marketed as bookshelf speakers because they are the same size as other speakers that were being marketed as bookshelf speakers at the time. The meaning of the term has changed a bit over the years. Now it seems to mean tiny little things.

fom my '84 Klipsch Instruction Manual, on the heresy:

"The Klipsch Heresy is possibly the biggest sounding small loudspeaker in the world. Placement is highly versatile. The Heresy will deliver outstanding performance from a bookshelf, against a wall, or in a corner; though corner/floor placement is suggested."

course this was before HT & subs. along w/ a capable sub/bass cabinet, they should be excellent even placed higher up, w/ an HT receiver cut at the standard 80hz imo.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-09-2002 at 12:09 AM

I use them as bookshelfs on some stands. Far from the side and back walls. The tweeter and mid horns are at my ears level, and of course I use a good sub with them.

Play with them, as you know, speaker location is the trickiest part in a system's setup. You can make your speakers to play music or to interact with your room creating all kind of colorations and artifacts...

Oh for Christs sake, all but a few members make typos. If I have an important post, I do it in Word so I can tweak it. This is the INTERNET, not a printed publication. This is a virtual conversation, not a literature contest. If you are offended by my spelling, please refrain from reading my posts. I am done with this little quarrel.Now.

ANYWAY,

So they will be rolling off pretty high? That is actually good, as I have a sub that I can hi-pass from 40-160 Hz. This will enable the speakers to take it easy and to not vibrate off the shelf.

Unfortunately, they will be only a few inches away from the wall, but that would only be an issue if I was trying to get phat bass from them.

I think it may work They weight about 40 pounds each, right?

Thanks for the help, I hope to bring some Paul W. Klipsch home soon!

------------------

The first speaker Klipsch marketed SPECIFICALLY as a bookshelf model was the KG2...that is why it was marketed...to fill that void. The main reason why the Heresy was not marketed as a bookshelf speaker is its WEIGHT...not to mention that its size precludes it from fitting standard bookshelfs. By definition, a bookshelf speaker tends to fit a space no more than 12 inches tall...none of the outside dimensions of a Heresy are that small.

The Heresy (model H) was originally intended as a floor standing center channel speaker between two Klipschorns, as was the Cornwall and the Belle Klipsch (which was designed by PWK to satisfy the WAF factor at home)...the Heresy (in its "H" model format) predates the other two. The LaScala was originally designed as a stand alone speaker for outside use on a flat-bed trailer at political gatherings such as bar-b-ques...when Winthrop Rockefeller® was running against incumbent Orville Faubus(D) for governor of the state of Arkansas in the mid 1960's.

The fact that these speaker models all became so very popular in their own right is a tribute to their designs and versatility.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Could you, would you, on a shelf?

Could you, would you, by yourself?

Yes, on a shelf

or on the floor

below a desk

above a door

between the sheets

within your bed

next to your ear

inside your head

fini

KRB

If you are going to shelf mount those Heresy's you might consider putting some sort of retaining strip along the edge of the shelf as they may move over time because of vibration. You are right about the weight they weigh just a little under 38 lb.

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by fini:

Could you, would you, on a shelf?

Could you, would you, by yourself?

Yes, on a shelf

or on the floor

below a desk

above a door

between the sheets

within your bed

next to your ear

inside your head

fini

That is too much, keep it coming Smile.gif

So if the Klispch speaker is horn loaded... would that be a Seuss-a-phone? Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

No need IMHO for anything to keep the Heresys on the shelves. They aren't going anywhere unless there is an earthquake. Actually, I never saw them move even with earthquakes up to 6.5 on the Richter scale. Might be a problem if you are over a blind thrust fault though. Maybe better safe than sorry.