Colorado Road Trip, 2016

Jeff Matthews

We stumbled across this castle just outside of San Isabel.  If it wasn't for Jim's 2nd glance, we would have whizzed right by it.  What a treasure!

Pictures can't show you the magnificence.  The scale is awesome!  The owner clearly spent millions and millions on this.  A strange oddity words can't describe.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a must see for any Colorado adventure.

These are my friends and car-mates, Jim and Li.

Castle near San Isabel.jpg

• Like 3

Here is Summit Lake near the top of Mt. Evans.  The road up Mt. Evans is the highest road in the United States.  The last 5 miles to the tippy-top were closed after Labor Day.  :(

But we were darn close!  So high up the trees will not grow.  It's just tundra.  About 12,600 ft.

Mt. Evans, Summit Lake.jpg

We took a wrong turn out of Nederland and headed up Hwy 119 toward Boulder.  Let me tell you what...  Clearly this mistake was a gift from God.  The road follows the bottom of a narrow gorge.  Jagged rocks and cliffs up both sides of the road with a river along the road side.  Plenty of twists and turns.

I am surprised this road isn't marked as "scenic."  It had some of the best "rocky" mountains.

119 West from Boulder, The Highway Follows a Gorge.jpg  

• Like 1

I would have thought the authorities would not allow dare devils to scale cliffs like this.  This was along the same stretch of 119 out of Boulder.  Lots of people were doing it.

I know it's hard to see, but check out the pair of climbers just above the center of the cliff.  Click to zoom and then click the "Full Size" button on the lower left.

119 West out of Boulder, Cliff Hangers.jpg