Ripp'n, storing, streaming DVDs

USNRET

Remember that I am un-smart. I have 500-600 DVDs that I would like to save to an external hard drive(s) and then watch on the boob tube. What simple (that I can figure out) software do I need for a PC with Win10. I have:
Nvidia Shield Pro

Oppo 105D

Apple TV

PS3 Fat Boy

I would like to be able to surf on the smart TV and see a list of movies by name and maybe art work. I will not use iTunes even if that would work; h.a.t.e. it

20161018_154842.jpg

6 minutes ago, tromprof said:

I have found JRiver rips and catalogs DVDs quite nicely, though not Blu Rays. Works great with both music and video on Windows 10 (at least the last couple of versions).

I see that I have JRiver Media Center 2.0

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

I see that I have JRiver Media Center 2.0

2.0 or 20?

MC 20 will work fine, I am running the same on my basement system even though I also have the current MC 22 version. For whatever reason 20 sounds better (and its not even close), though I can't figure out why. 

3 minutes ago, tromprof said:

2.0 or 20?

MC 20 will work fine, I am running the same on my basement system even though I also have the current MC 22 version. For whatever reason 20 sounds better (and its not even close), though I can't figure out why. 

Yep, bad glasses (not the eyes :) ) 20.0.131. I guess I need to try a rip local and then free up a drive. If I rip to the JRiver library will the Plex see it? I will look to see if JRiver has an Android app for the Shield. I guess I need to establish an external drive on the router and then point both JRiver and Plex to it.

Ripped to USB drive, plugged it into the Shield and tried to play using Plex. I could never find how to point Plex to the external drive. Launched Shield file explorer, located movie and launched using KODI. Looks good.

Fixed: had to use the Plex software on PC to add library on Shield. I noticed that file was ripped to MP4 and indicates SD / AAC / 5.1 when TV info is selected. I need to check this and see if MP4 is the correct format or if DVD should be another...

can't offer any help at all on the ripping, but 

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

Now looking at an NAS to hold it all.

we, my team & I, have used a couple of these at work for different projects, and they have worked well for us.  now, we are using them as designed, for networked storage and not media sharing.  so I have no experience regarding serving up movies & such... yet.  (since one of them is several years old, it may soon be 'retired'  off the res  ;)

the older one is this Netgear RNDP 6610.  the newer model we use is this Synology DS412+ .  hope that helps.

I am still not understanding all of these. It seems Plex is the way to go as that app is on Roku, PS/Xbox, AppleTv, NVidia Shield.... I think I understand that when using a NAS you must either have Plex residing in the NAS (few are supported it seems) or have a computer up and running with the Plex software running. I would prefer to have Plex on the NAS if it reliable so that I don't have to have a PC humming away somewhere.

not knowing anything about how this works, but as I understand NAS tech, it's not so much a computer to run any apps (other than a native or embedded device management app).   think basic computer OS with only a local file browser - no web browser, no email client, nothing else. I think the NAS is more an expandable storage appliance that does run a minimal operating system.  I may be completely off base, but that's my impression of how NAS devices work.

so you may not be able to run Plex or anything else from the NAS.  likewise, I don't think you could run iTunes from the NAS.  you would - I believe - have to run iTunes form a phone, computer, whatever, and point that iTunes app to the NAS to list content.  that's how I see Flex working with a NAS.

DVD fab is good.

Here is another way   Player Kodi.....Free download...(They ask for donations)

Media server software  Emby......(They ask for donations)

If you use mkv files ...you should be able to use your Oppo the play the files also ...like a movie server. That is in addition to a windows Pc...just an option

If you have any questions....you can Pm me

G.E.M.

I have Kodi on several different boxes. Plex in my one hour play with time is looking good.
This is one NAS where Plex can reside and not need a PC to run as the server (yes, you need a PC to manage and load files to the NAS but then Plex runs on the NAS)....I think

and a you tube linky

Stream Anything

Built-in hardware transcoding prepares media for streaming in the right format and quality, and with the Plex Media Server installed on your NAS, you can beautifully stream to any device with an internet connection.