New To Me Chorus 1

Ironsave

I had Chorus Is also.  Sold them too cheap I think. I now have LaScalas and Rf-7iis.  There's just something about the sound of the Chorus that is different (absent?) from my current setup. 

When turned up to 11, they took my breath away. 

Excellent score.

Adjust placement and toe in prior to new crossovers.

Congrats. 

• Like 2

Thanks again, everyone.

Before updating crossovers, I will wait at least another month, minimum. 

They sound so good, that I'm actually concerned about doing this.... 

Halloween was A BLAST. 

THE KIDS ENJOYED CREEPY MUSIC, and I recieved numerous compliments.....

Thanks all again....

• Like 2

I would recommend buying the drop in replacements when you do, I seemed to notice a better overall improvement over just having the capacitors changed out. This will also allow you the chance to switch back to the originals if for some odd reason you don't like the change.

• Like 1

Kind of all three I guess. I've bought a few pairs of drop ins and had a few pairs re-capped. My impressions have always been the drop ins sound a little better but I've never compared directly to re-capped ones.

One thing I was always curious about was the extra transformer on the drop ins, why are they there when not in the originals? Also, why would anyone pay the extra money for the drop ins if there was no difference between them and having the originals re-capped? It's not like you can see them to appreciate the look, they're designed to be placed inside the cabinet.

I would think that Bob would be the best to answer most of those questions.  For me, (and I'm not just talking about the Chorus xovers), buying all new sets, when they are manufactured to basically be clones of originals, following the exact same schematic, doesn't make a lot of sense, unless of course you don't "trust"the older parts (of which there are few), and just want/need...."new".  

• Like 1

I've been emailing Mr Crites this morning and this has been one of the subjects discussed and here are his responses:

"My new crossovers have all new and higher quality parts than the originals crossovers.  You will see that they were limited to the part size that would fit on the tiny circuit board on the back of the input terminal cup.  By using a wooden board, I can go for better quality on all the parts without having to settle for what quality I can get in small size parts.  There is only one transformer.  The other part that you think looks like a transformer is an inductor."

"The original crossover also has that woofer inductor.  It is just a small bar type or small round ferris core inductor on the originals.  I just used a larger higher quality inductor on mine that happens to look like a transformer.  Another advantage is just getting the parts off of the input terminal cup. The heavy autotransformer tends to break off of the plastic some times.

The completely new crossovers sound somewhat better with all new and higher quality parts.  A rebuild is just replacing the capacitors."