Fabracation help for a disabled veteran

ricktate

1 hour ago, Weber said:

If that cost 600 dollars, then yes we should be able to make one for less...

It's aluminum, right? I don't have what it takes to weld aluminum. I can bend the tubing and drill the holes. 

Well hopefully he will chime in here and maybe give more info . He said he wants to make the top tube out of one tube and bend the curves into it to make it lighter. Lighter is what he is trying to do plus the mod to a different angle. Thanks guys for your help. I will text him to come and give more info. 

8 minutes ago, Bryan81 said:

It's a cross-county ski bucket. I don't take the same impact as the alpine guys do.  We also don't reach the same speeds. It being light is what is most important. I will race over several miles instead of 20 seconds down hill

YEA what he said..lol.   I knew there had to be a reason for no suspension .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weber said:

If that cost 600 dollars, then yes we should be able to make one for less...

It's aluminum, right? I don't have what it takes to weld aluminum. I can bend the tubing and drill the holes. 

James, if you do that much of the work, send it to me, I will weld that bad boy up. I'm half way there. I'll TIG it up and send it on to the end user. Sound like a plan?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bryan81 said:

It's a cross-county ski bucket. I don't take the same impact as the alpine guys do.  We also don't reach the same speeds. It being light is what is most important. I will race over several miles instead of 20 seconds down hill

Although we might want to change a few things, I see no reason to reinvent a wheel. Have an idea of what changes you want to try? It looks like there are multiple holes as if it is to fit more than one something... When I set up to drill holes, it's no problem to make a line of holes. Also, dimensions are too easy to reproduce, rather than guess. A picture or three (top, front, side) with tubing lengths, spacings and hole spacings... and a note of diameters and wall thickness should be a good CAD (camera aided dimensions) to get started.  

From the picture, it looks like there is a U shaped tube with 3 holes and that tube slides through the main frame tube. Is that where the seat mounts? Is it adjustable / does it need to be adjustable?  

For your size or where / how you ride, would the seat height relative to the board be better higher or lower?

It looks like the lower cross members that span from flat plate to flat plate have an arch - what's that about?

And welcome to the forum Bryan :emotion-22:

• Like 2

I will try get him to post new dimensions he wants and current dimensions. I know he wants top tube to be one piece for weight saving. I don't think he needs adjustable option. The front bar that is arched... to clear as much snow as possible... I think not sure. He does want seat position to be higher in front. Right now when he sits on it his knees are to high...he also when racing tucks his legs back under the seat and hooks his feet on the back bar.

Thanks so much guys for helping on this...I cant see paying 600 for this thing. I'm sure he would be happy to pay for materials or I would. What you think materials would cost ?

I think its 1 inch aluminum tubing not sure how thick it is yet. I wanted to see if anyone here could do this before I got into to it to much and got his hopes up. 

Thanks again Rick

18 minutes ago, Bryan81 said:

Busy day. This is he basic shap I want with a few differences, to fit my style of technique and body position for my back. If I can get locations of the people involved maybe I can bring the frame to them  

Hey Bryan,

I'm in central Kentucky. Sorry if I've confused things with my statements and questions. 

James

Ricktate:  Do you have a solid plan ?  It might be easiest to start with something existing (and modify/tweek) with the help of, say, Wounded Warrior or maybe National Veterans Winter Sports, Vail Veterans Programs.  If you want to start from scratch I can help with some design work and prints and I have access to superb mig/tig welders.  Still my 2¢ is to partner with a corporation, maybe even the VA, and get this done on their dime for Brian's benefit.  I am also a Veteran so I will check where I work to see if there would be a "funding" slot for this type of program/endeavor.

• Like 1

I have fabricated three different Al items from scratch, mostly w heavy wall tubing.

I did ALL the design, cutting, coping, deburring, bending,  jigging, etc., had Pros do the final welding.

My point is, the $600 for all the designing, deciding on dimensions, and material and HOURS of thinking,getting the tube properly bent, labor and then the welding, is NOT unreasonable whatsoever.

And I'm all about loving making stuff and saving $.

It AIN'T gonna be a one weekend job , not even close, unless an experienced  guy has drawings and is totally tooled up for that.

Now, if you can have the original you want to clone in your shop, that would help ALOT. Like TONS.

Or the dimensions talked about above.

Or even a number of photos that you can scale off of at least.

I do not intend to be a downer, but like Clint said .. "A Man's gotta know his limitations"

On the other hand , a great learning experience if someone is looking for a project.

my 2 cents.      Marc

• Like 1