Its a Hemi?

Wolfbane

Ya got a numbers matching 68 Charger I'd think twice about that..... It would be cool, but I look at from the stand point it would decrease  the value of your numbers matching car....

I do like old cars and trucks with modern drive trains in them...... So cool....

Keep us posted and lets see a few pics of this Charger;) I got lots of love for the old Mopar's

MKP :-)

41 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Ya got a numbers matching 68 Charger I'd think twice about that..... It would be cool, but I look at from the stand point it would decrease  the value of your numbers matching car....

I do like old cars and trucks with modern drive trains in them...... So cool....

Keep us posted and lets see a few pics of this Charger;) I got lots of love for the old Mopar's

Been thinking about it since 1997 when I put it in climate controlled storage (yes 19 years ago). It has ~125 miles on it since its complete restoration. The plan then was to drive it to car shows after I fully retired. WRT numbers matching I'd pull the original motor and trans and store them. Modern Mopar Hemis are not true hemis like the 426 (but my car has the 383 4V with a Carter Carb and 335HP). I'd also like to install 4 wheel disc brakes, upgrade the factory suspension and install a modern transmission with over drive.

^^^^^

From a money/value/vintage point of view I would agree with MKP. If this is of little intert to you then yeah, go for it. Folks have been stuffing GM crate motors in resto's for forever. I have the SRT 392, 6.4L, in my Challenger and yes it is a beast. A bit of tuning expertise has her just a shade under 500 streetable HP. The old 68' might need some shoring up to handle todays horsepower.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:18 AM, Wolfbane said:

Been thinking about it since 1997 when I put it in climate controlled storage (yes 19 years ago). It has ~125 miles on it since its complete restoration. The plan then was to drive it car shows after I fully retired. WRT numbers matching I'd pull the original motor and trans and store them. Modern Mopar Hemis are not true hemis like the 426 (but my car has the 383 4V with a Carter Carb and 335HP). I'd also like to install 4 wheel disc brakes, upgrade the factory suspension and install a modern transmission with over drive.

A friend's brother had a 67' in that silver/blue color with the same engine, great shape with only about 34K miles. But it was at a time when just about any parts were no where to be had. He said it had a problem with the secondaries on the carb opening up too easily/soon, etc. So his uncle went into their basement and found an old bed box-spring from when they were kids. He took one of the bed-springs and put it on the linkage of the carp to keep it from opening so early. I only drove it a few times after he did it, (LOL) probably bent the linkage if he tried to kick it in.

11392823_1478812649077297_3733665581135566170_n.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

A friend's brother had a 67' in that silver/blue color with the same engine, great shape with only about 34K miles. But it was at a time when just about any parts were no where to be had. He said it had a problem with the secondaries on the carb opening up too easily/soon, etc. So his uncle went into their basement and found an old bed spring from when they were kids. He took one of the bed-springs and put it on the linkage of the carp to keep it from opening so early. I only drove it a few times after he did it, (LOL) probably bent the linkage if he tried to kick it in.

11392823_1478812649077297_3733665581135566170_n.jpg

I always preferred GM's Quadrajet carbs to anything else back in the day. I could hop them up easily with the wide availability of jets and a tuned quadrajet is the factory carb most like fuel injection. The Mopar Carter on the 383 4V is much more simple, but more tempermental with a sticky float from the factory. The 71 340 Duster I used to bracket race actually had a plastic mid in the 4V Carter Carb that tended to warp after thousands of hot/cold engine cycles.

Still on the Mopar theme...... anybody watch Graveyard Carz??? Love what they do.... Too much grabb A$$ at times. 

My dad had a 72 RR.... I cried the day he sold that car.... I still remember going to the Plymouth dealership and sitting in a Superbird saying "Dad get this one" ........ We left the dealership in a Fury III:(

39 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Still on the Mopar theme...... anybody watch Graveyard Carz??? Love what they do.... Too much grabb A$$ at times. 

My dad had a 72 RR.... I cried the day he sold that car.... I still remember going to the Plymouth dealership and sitting in a Superbird saying "Dad get this one" ........ We left the dealership in a Fury III:(

Assuming the Fury is till around and came with a stock 383, you could do this to wake it up:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-0209-383-engine-restore/

And the guys used to floor it and throw the auto trans (push button)  into drive then throw it into reverse then throw it into drive then throw it into reverse then throw it into drive just for laughs to burn rubber. They couldn't seem to break it.

JJK