Cornwall II's and III's - Comparison?

MikeGinIllinois

• Moderators

I didn't realize you were using those, very nice, I have never heard the MCM 1900 but just looking at it you know it sounds good. To me it's not about volume at all, bigger speakers just sound bigger. And with that comes the fact that when you take a speaker that can do what these can and only give them a few watts they just cruise along with extremely low distortion and a huge sound. Cool speakers :emotion-21:

Considering the small difference in our room I doubt there's much difference, now it would be cool to bring them outside and wake up the neighbors. :D

I know they would sound good outside because I use a baby set outside. I have a set of single MWM cabinets that I got to get the measurements for the inside speakers so I could build then in Oak. When I finished the inside speakers I decided to use the original factory cabinets for the yard. I made a top like a split LaScala with a AA crossover in each top. I use each top on a single MWM bass bin, like a LaScala with more bass and they sound great in the yard. We live on 6 acres and it can fill the yard with sound, I try not to aim towards neighbors and the closest at about 800-900 feet commented one day that we listen to the same kind of music. I told him if it's ever a problem just let me know, but we only get a little crazy if it's a party and they all know there welcome anytime, it's no problem we try to be respectful. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dtel said:

To me it's not about volume at all, bigger speakers just sound bigger. And with that comes the fact that when you take a speaker that can do what these can and only give them a few watts they just cruise along with extremely low distortion and a huge sound. Cool speakers

Agreed. There is no need to AB them with anything, including the Khorn. There is an openness / airy / natural sound that brings forth a grin factor like no other, as far as sound. :D

• Like 2

When speakers are tested prior to packing, they are put into a testing booth and a frequency sweep is completed for each one.  If they fall out of the required parameters in the testing, they are sent back to final assembly to determine what the problem is.  The CURRENT testing system can actually do more to determine the problem-origin than the what was used back in my day.  Once back in the hands of final assembly, If it is loose connections they are tightened, if it is a cross-over network problem then a replacement is put in...same for driver issues, etc. Once the problem is considered solved, they are re-tested, to ensure it.  Every speaker gets tested until it passes....or is determined to be unable to pass.  Once it passes it is boxed for shipment.  If it CANNOT pass, it is likely a cabinet issue, and if that can't be solved it does not go out.  This is based on what I KNOW from back in my day and what I saw happening while at the plant this past spring...

Anechoic chamber testing is what the spec sheets were based upon.  This USED TO BE done using random production pulls, especially after any changes were made to anything in the speaker or its cabinet.  How it is done now, I have no clue.  Keep in mind that when I FIRST started working there (1976-1983), Klipsch did not have its anechoic chamber, yet.  That was built after I started working and had been up and running a few years before I left.  So, once it was up and running, it was random production items being tested.  If it was a new speaker model, then it was the final production model that was tested, and followed up on occasion by pulling random production models for verification.  BUT the quality control frequency sweeps for all speakers prior to shipment were already happening well before I arrived in 1976.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No matter what anyone else says, my favorite by far are the phenolic both for midrange and tweeters!!! I have both titanium and phenolic speakers and at one time I thought I was in the Titanium camp until I gained more experience with phenolic drivers.

Phenolic have a quality level to them that are better to my ears that titanium can't match, and YES you can hear a difference.... anyone saying you can't must not have well trained ears to pickup the difference but for me it's very easy to hear the differences.

When a Klipsch Cornwall III speakers came up for sale locally, I quickly acted and bought them at a great price, the guy had them brand new unopened in their original box in black, they had lost their home and was selling everything. The Cornwall III sounded nice but I was disappointed with the smaller mid horn Klipsch decided to use than the original size compared to my old Cornwall speakers, I ended up having to build a DIY to get a bigger horn and I was more than pleased with the results, the phenolic drivers sounded better to me than the titanium!! That's why I went DIY.   I sold the Cornwall III after comparing them with the DIY super Cornwall's after about two months or so.

The phenolic sound better to my ears, I'm still amazed by their quality sound compared to titanium.  Some can't even hear the difference but like I said,  it's very easy for me to hear the difference.  Phenolic wins to these ears, that's way I wish Klipsch would continue to use phenolic but it's cheaper to manufacturer the titanium these days.

Yes, the Cornwall III do sound nice but I suppose I'm the only one who still feels the original Cornwall's with the phenolic drivers sound better!!  The Cornwall III is still a fine speaker... I still liked the sound of them... Klipsch makes fine speakers, never heard a bad sounding Klipsch speaker yet! ;)