Question on HT processor

Coytee

Been thinking about a HT processor (no internal amps needed/wanted)

Brand A, B C...

My needs would be 5.1 which brings me to the crux of my question.

If I bought a new unit that was say, 11.?, are they backward compatible where it would recognize a 5.1 signal and process it appropriately?

Can you get a 5.1 unit that has XLR outputs?

See: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdhc803/integra-dhc-80.3-9.2-ch-networking-a/v-preamp/processor-bonus-hdmi-cables-100-value/1.html

More expensive, and reportedly higher SQ (but probably not worth an additional $2.1K): http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=avm-60/page=overview

Even more expensive (add $6.5K): http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=d2v-3d/page=overview

I'd recommend the first one (Onkyo Integra, refurbished)...really.

41 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The three models above all have XLR and RCA connections...

Chris

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coytee said:

If I bought a new unit that was say, 11.?, are they backward compatible where it would recognize a 5.1 signal and process it appropriately?

That's referred to as down mixing, and yes, it's a feature inherent to all multichannel processors.

43 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Yes, they're out there.

When looking at processors though, be mindful of the output hardware. The quality and execution of the amps in the output stages are hardly ever identified or discussed, but they are essentially what your system is going to sound like when you patch in a big power amp to them.

I don't believe that any of the main players really produce bad stuff nowadays.  There are so many people that use "consumer reports specifications" to choose among alternatives...and that really aren't using their ears.  If they did, they'd probably notice that there really isn't any real audible difference among these preamps, but maybe they're really listening to room correction firmware differences.

If you're going to rely on room correction firmware (e.g., Audyssey, ARC, etc.) then I'd recommend the professional version of Audyssey (even though I'd never use it myself). 

I haven't used ARC (Anthem) or YPAO, etc., but my experience has been uniformly poor: the choices that the firmware makes in my room.  If your listening room is the one that you show in your pictures of the hidden DTS-10, I'd still recommend REW and a UMIK-1 microphone.  These room correction algorithms have much more trouble in rooms with RT60 curve (reverberation time) above 0.4 and Jubilees.  Audyssey EQ and dynamic EQ actually works extremely poorly, no matter where I place the little microphone that's included with my Onkyo PR-SC886 AVP (...that AVP, however, has been flawlessly working in my room for 7 years).

Chris

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I haven't used ARC (Anthem) or YPAO, etc.,

My experience with ARC has been outstanding.  I listened to my system for about a year before I used it.  My D2 didn't come with is as it was still under development but once they made an upgrade kit I bought one and installed it.  I was very familiar with the sound of my system prior to ARC.  Sound pretty much improved across the board. 

Since we're suddenly into recommendations for active crossovers and room correction software/firmware, I'd recommend one of these to replace your Dx38(s):

https://www.amazon.com/Xilica-XP-8080-Outputs-Digital-Processor/dp/B019J5XLQQ

(I bought mine new/resold for just over $800.)

...this for a microphone: https://www.amazon.com/miniDSP-UMIK-1-Measurement-Calibrated-Microphone/dp/B00N4Q25R8

...and this for room correction software (actually, it's freeware): http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Then you'll have the necessary data visualization, control, number of necessary channels for your 5.1, and high fidelity that you need for your 5.1 setup, Richard.  This represents a significant step up in performance than what you're used to. 

That Trinnov Magnitude32 base model apparently goes for $12K. 

The end result of both paths doesn't sound better than one other...but maybe you'll pay an additional $11K to have a machine decide for you what all your settings should be (...which you may or may not agree with). 

I don't believe that's how I'd spend my money.

Chris

• Like 1

Don't let my response quell anyone else's enthusiasm...

...especially if you know something about the sound quality of the different AVPs on the market.  My experience has been the top-of-the-line Onkyos and an uncalibrated trial of an Anthem.

Chris

Looks like that Xilica unit (8080) only has those euro connectors on the back?

(ugh)

Not sure that I'd want to undo all my XLR connectors to plug them in like that....(though I recall Marvel saying they were a better connection)

I also like the idea of getting a more versitile active.  With the Danley in the mix, my needs went from one Dx38 to now, having two.  If I could consolidate to a single unit, I could dedicate the two EV's to the outdoor MWM toys...

I just finished converting my XLRs into the four (4) Phoenix (Euro) connectors.  It wasn't difficult.  It was kind of fun snipping the XLR connectors off the existing XLR cables and screwing down the resulting bare wires into the Phoenix connector receptacles.

You could also go for a Xilica XP-4080 for your front three channels (mono-amped center) and your subwoofers, and use your existing Dx38 for your two mono- or biamped surround channels--which are "echo channels" most of the time anyway.  That way, you're using XLR connectors all the way around, and reusing the Dx38.  That would save you about $100 over buying the Xilica XP-8080.  If you want to bi-amp your center, you could use a DSP front-end amplifier for your DTS-10 (I've got two Crown XTi-1000 spares in my garage that you could try--they're 1200 watts output in strapped mode; I'm currently using two of them for my Spuds--which is real overkill).

If you have three Dx38s, you could use a Xilica XP-2040 for the Jubs (better fidelity than the Dx38s--and saving another $100).

Or you could use four Dx38s, if you already have those on hand.

21 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

You could go oppo 105d. Everything you need + one of the best players out there. Quite a few peps have gone this way. 

It has almost all the functions an avr has - tuner. 

I did a quick google...  is this a DVD player or is it a HT processor?  (I'm looking for a processor and it looks to me like this is a DVD)

Just now, Coytee said:

I did a quick google...  is this a DVD player or is it a HT processor?  (I'm looking for a processor and it looks to me like this is a DVD)

Its everything.It has everything you need (other than power). I know a few who skipped the avr all together with the 105. Its brain is top notch and probably better than any low and mid level avr. Not sure its in anthem realm or less than. Also for 2ch listening you probably won't find a better dac.