A fundamental question about -6db on the squawker

jwgorman

Having lived with belles and khorns that had -3db (and even -4db) attenuation applied to the squawker, I just rolled with the sound as that was all I was exposed to. Last weekend I acquired a 30 year old pair of la scalas with the AL network that, as Dean has pointed out, has -6db attenuation for the squawker. 

After speaking with Mr Crites today, I know now that the AL might not be a great network, but I do really like the -6db attenuation on the squawker part. I don't really perceive a hole in the midband, it actually seems lean but I hear vocal detail etc. I ordered a pair of Crites autoformers that allow -1db steps of attenuation. I'm going build a network from scratch so that I can play with the AA circuit and the AL3 and see which I prefer. 

I noticed that I get a lot fewer dirty looks in my house when the volume creeps up with the la scalas and I attribute that to the mid not being so hot. So, why isn't this more popular? Just curious, to my ear, it sounds more balanced. Then again, I might be in the Bermuda Triangle of acoustics. 

The ear is more sensitive to those mid frequencies, so louder sound in the

mids,  can be more grating to some people--getting you the Big Eye when you turn it up.

I set my speakers that way also and can play it louder without complaints.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

For me, the sweet spot is between 4 or 5 -db... but I currently have AA's that are -3db and it still sound fantastic.

Two questions:

How did you get your Type AA's to go down -3db?

Do you think it works to knock the midrange down -3db by using the electronic XO in the AVR?  FYI I did adjust the mid down -3 db in my AVR and I could hear a difference, but better?  I'm not so sure.  I would like to have someone with more experience to help me understand what I was hearing.

The AA starts 3dB down (which is why that wire is soldered to "3"). Schu is using the stock setting for the midrange.

The numbers on the autotransformers that Al and me use show the actual reduction in output, as opposed to using a numbering assignment that doesn't tell you anything about what the tap is doing - requiring a conversion table. One of Al's better ideas.

• Like 2

I only know a few things.

I do almost all of my music listening late at night using Beyerdynamic tp5 headphones and my iPhone. If I'm in the workroom (which is small), it's a Bose Soundlink III.

I have three amps for the LaScalas; a Luxman R-117 (that needs work), an Onyx SP-3 tube integrated, and a Topping TP60 T-Amp. Since I mostly do movies through the LaScalas these days -- I usually just leave the T-amp in the system.

On 11/17/2016 at 9:38 PM, Bossman said:

Deang and Schu, you guys seem like pros around here in the technical speaker section.. Just curious as what amplifiers (solid state or tube) are you guys using to listen to music with?

I take offense... :P

I am a Padawan...

7db on the squaker and 2db on the tweeter.

I have 1990 K-Horns with a Bob Crites CT120 tweeters currently running DIY ALK Universal Crossovers, the AP12-350 (a 350 Hz crossover intended for the Klipschorn) and the 4,500Hz version of the squaker / tweeter crossover whose schematic I found in this thread

along with Bob Crites 3136 auto transformers with swamping resistor powered by a NAD C725 BEE in a well damped 20' x 33' room.

I recall reading somewhere that 6db was what ALK set his Universals to (please correct me if I'm wrong as I can't find that post now) and used that as a starting point for listening tests, settling on 7db. The tweeter sounded a bit hot so I made a rather crude but effective attenuator (http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm)  starting with 2db and that sounded pretty good.

I did some measuring using one of these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810  and my Nexus 5X with https://sites.google.com/site/bofinit/audiotool 

To my surprise most of my listening is at sub 80db throughout the room.