Concerning bi-amping...

Schu

I am going to try and  bi-amp my La Scalas when my tube amp arrives, and I want to know what the probability is for success with using a Passive AA or AL-4 crossover?

I dont really want to go active for now, so would I just direct couple the solid state amps and run the tube amps thru the existing XO? 

Will there be a gain issue since one signal is directly connected (LF) and the other has to go thru a circuit (HF)?

Timing issues?

Is there another way of bi-amping?

53 minutes ago, Deang said:

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Hey @Schu, what are you going to do? Run a full spectrum signal out of a pre or DAC into 2 amps and then what?

The pre amp has two outputs... I figured I would run one to the tube amp and the other to the class d amp. No reason why this should not work.

53 minutes ago, Deang said:

You will need to use the AL-4s if you want to try that - the AAs you bought from me don't support bi-wiring or passive biamping. 

What kind of tube amp did you buy?

I was thinking the AL-4's would be a better choice for this D.

Dennis Had is building an upgraded version of his "Inspire" amp for me. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/135353-what-i-got-today/&page=195

3 hours ago, Deang said:

I think he just wants to biamp using the passive networks - you connect the tube amp to the HF sections and the solid state amp to the LF sections. The AL-4 is set up for bi-wiring, so there really isn't much to it. 

Pretty much this... just going to give it a try for no other reason than multiple amps sitting around needing to be used.

• Like 1

I'm not a LaScala owner but, active bi-amping sounds pretty easy to modify the speakers.  You need dual binding post like this: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-plated-bi-amp-speaker-wire-terminal-cup-banana-binding-post--260-304?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla 

Then open the speaker and take out the passive network. Cut and new opening in the back of the speaker and put the dual binding post in and connect the Hi and LF diver.  All you need is a drill and jig saw for the opening.  You can even use electrical tape to secure the speaker wire to the binding post inside the speaker.

Then connect each driver to the active XO and set the correct slop.  Tweak things as needed.