$2500 CAD Klipschorns in Ottawa

onemoretime

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

Just curious...Are there any problems taking these across the border? Will you have to pay a duty?

Made in the USA. The NA Free Trade Agreement says no to duties, excise and all other Federal Tax to anything made in North America. If going into Canada GST at 5% would apply (GST is a value added tax in Canada).

1 minute ago, Wolfbane said:

Made in the USA. The NA Free Trade Agreement says no to duties, excise and all other Federal Tax to anything made in North America. If going into Canada GST at 5% would apply (GST is a value added tax in Canada).

OK, but just this year I paid near $100 to get a $400 active crossover over the border. Free trade? Yea I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

Dear Lord, some Klipsch are manufactured in the United States.  But to export them duty free you have to PRODUCE a "Certificate of Origin?"  :ohmy:

Yeah, sure, I have one here in my back pocket I carry around just in case I need it.   :dry:  :pwk_bs:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Dear Lord, some Klipsch are manufactured in the United States.  But to export them duty free you have to PRODUCE a "Certificate of Origin?"  :ohmy:

Yeah, sure, I have one here in my back pocket I carry around just in case I need it.   :dry:  :pwk_bs:

Very glad to see the discussion this has generated. I've been mulling this in case a pair comes available in BC.

Any thoughts how to get a Certificate of Origin? Does this apply to older items, and does a Made in U.S.A. label count for anything?

4 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Any thoughts how to get a Certificate of Origin? Does this apply to older items, and does a Made in U.S.A. label count for anything?

I wouldn't have any remote idea how to get a CoO!  Not a clue.  I know we have NAFTA but just in casual reading on this Klipsch website I've noticed Canadians being concerned about being able to purchase American goods and trying to figure how to get it across the border without major extra expense. 

NAFTA sounds like a good idea but it looks AS USUAL like our government has gotten in the way and RUINED an otherwise good thing.

10 hours ago, baron167 said:

Assuming made in North America: I assume that you shipped it rather than driving back over the border with it? If so, I suspect that you paid a 'brokerage fee' to a courier like UPS, Fedex, etc. Brokerage fees and duty, excise and tax are unrelated when it comes to shipping goods by courier.

5 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Very glad to see the discussion this has generated. I've been mulling this in case a pair comes available in BC.

Certificate of Origin or certification by declaration on the paper work?

A Certificates of Origin is paper work that some jurisdictions require to register/title a motorized vehicle. For example a new car, new motorcycle, boat, etc.. 

A certified declaration on other items is a box on a Customs Declaration, like the paper work you fill out when mailing an item across the border.

5 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Does not apply to used motor vehicles as the COO is consumed when the vehicle is registered. Made in the US, Mexico and Canada goods are duty free. See my other post here on shipping goods other than new vehicles across a  NA border.

• Like 1