Furman Power Strip?

SWL

Can anyone here recommend a certain (cheap) power strip? I've always heard positive remarks about Furman and I have to get away from the cheap power strip tht I've been using for some of my components.....particularly my DAC.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I should also mention that I've had a Monster surge protector for years now. I found that it absolutely degrades the sound in my two channel system. I only use it for my TV and cable box. It's a Monster HTS 3600 (I think).

Right now, I'm just using a supposedly 'Hospital Grade' powerstrip that was given to me years ago. This morning I disconnected my DAC from it and plugged it directly into my dedicated 30 amp line gangbox (that the hospital grade powerstrip was plugged into) and wow....the sound improved to a more soft, discrete sound that is just melting into my ears.

Gotta like that one, huh?[emoji41]

When I hook my audio components up through my monster unit it sucks the life right out of the sound. To me, it sounds filtered and not in a good way. This is what I want to avoid.

14 hours ago, SWL said:

I should also mention that I've had a Monster surge protector for years now. I found that it absolutely degrades the sound in my two channel system. I only use it for my TV and cable box. It's a Monster HTS 3600 (I think).

If it truly made a difference, then I'd suggest tossing the monster cable surge protector in the trash as there's something wrong with it, and it's a potential fire hazard. Again, I wouldn't use it for the toaster in my hunting cabin if it was possible for it to do something that interfered with the sonic performance of any of your gear. Especially a DAC which needs such a modest DC load compared to an amp for instance. 

The price on that Furman seems fine. Get your wife to help you with a blind test and see if you notice. 

• Like 1

I have two Furman strips that do the job in that they take power from the wall and let my hardware have at it, but I don't believe them about power conditioning. My computer produces awful AC noise and when it didn't do the job to plug my components into the fancy six-plug one, I got one of the fancier rack mount ones and even plugged the computer into the six-plug one for an extra layer of fancy conditioned power. The Furmans may have reduced the problem a bit, but it's definitely not gone. Just this evening, I heard a vacuum downstairs through my speakers! I suppose they're better than nothing, but they don't seem to do much for sound.

5 hours ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I have two Furman strips that do the job in that they take power from the wall and let my hardware have at it, but I don't believe them about power conditioning. My computer produces awful AC noise and when it didn't do the job to plug my components into the fancy six-plug one, I got one of the fancier rack mount ones and even plugged the computer into the six-plug one for an extra layer of fancy conditioned power. The Furmans may have reduced the problem a bit, but it's definitely not gone. Just this evening, I heard a vacuum downstairs through my speakers! I suppose they're better than nothing, but they don't seem to do much for sound.

Without going into the details, computers are fragile houses of cards compared to the brick house audio components.

• Like 1