75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor

Wolfbane

• Moderators
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Except that by definition, the causes are political.  Man is a political animal.

I'm not so sure I agree with you on this, which is rare.  Fascist or tolaterian regiems don't go to war based on a "political" decision do they?  I'm talking I. The strictest sense of the word "political."  They will be in power regardless if they go to.war or not.  It is for territory and power isn't it?  Or a historical border dispute?  

10 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Why would you need to mention something current in discussing to Crusades or the history of the Suez Canal?  I forgot, to try and drag in current foreign policy and politics.

Foreign policy?  You mean, there is one?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Edited by Moderator:  Off topic and discussed religion which is violation of ToS

Some things never change........  I'm missing you Zen, come join me in the Blue sewer, there's only Keith and not much happening.

And in keeping with the theme of this thread,  I would like to add that the marriage to my first wife, on Dec. 7th 1982, went down like the Arizona on year 3. Thanks for posting Wolfy.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Some things never change........  I'm missing you Zen, come join me in the Blue sewer, there's only Keith and not much happening.

And in keeping with the theme of this thread,  I would like to add that the marriage to my first wife, on Dec. 7th 1982, went down like the Arizona on year 3. Thanks for posting Wolfy.

A December wedding, don't hear.that much.

Just now, dwilawyer said:

If you could keep it non political.  But you political animals can't seem to help yourselves.

That is exactly my point, grounded in philosophy and the history of man.  There is no real separation.  In fact, war exacerbates the political with greatly increased propaganda.  During WWII for example this was even seen in cartoons.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That is exactly my point, grounded in philosophy and the history of man.  There is no real separation.  In fact, war exacerbates the political with greatly increased propaganda.  During WWII for example this was even seen in cartoons.

Let's put it in a different context.  Hurricane Harvey thread, no politics.  Real forum members in Harm's way with people responding.  People discussing facts as best they know, shooting for accuracy.

No spin.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Let's put it in a different context.  Hurricane Harvey thread, no politics.  Real forum members in Harm's way with people responding.  People discussing facts as best they know, shooting for accuracy.

No spin.

Right.  Discussion of part without discussion of the whole.  However, war is a lot different than a weather disaster, so my theorem stands.  One is inherently political, the other is only tangentially political in nature.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

No spin.

So, shall we be able to talk about what's happened in Puerto Rico after their devastating hurricane and the ongoing misery of those people after the (response) of the US Government to their own citizens?  Likely not.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

So, shall we be able to talk about what's happened in Puerto Rico after their devastating hurricane and the ongoing misery of those people after the (response) of the US Government to their own citizens?  Likely not.

Tangential.

Now let's see the context postulated by Travis and raise the theorem.  Who was in control of the hurricane, or any hurricane, or any other weather disaster?  No one.  Who at least in the USA has the stated power to declare war, and who is the commander in chief?  We all know the answer.  So which is inherently political and which is not?