75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor

Wolfbane

Every time I see images of what happened, it sends a chill thru me.  It is amazing the severely crippled US forces were able to mount a comeback.  Back then, it was not possible to mobilize help and reinforcement quickly.  My hat is off to those brave men and women

Image result for images of pearl harbor

Image result for images of pearl harbor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:44 AM, Wolfbane said:

Today is 75 years since the attack at Pearl Harbor with the US declaring war on Japan (75th tomorrow). 

Wow! It's amazing how time flies and so few people remember the impetus to motivate Americans to unite  go to war....I can't thank enough all of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and those that love them who have fought for our country. That said, I also feel Americans should consider what causes those wars and unite in preventing them.

• Like 3

All the above comments seem very appropriate to me.

Our statesmen were not just politicians then. They had backbones too, "The Greatest Generation" isn't just a phrase.

Pride and love for our country was augmented by the teachers, not eradicated and replaced with disdain towards their elders and country.

People generally cared about the welfare of others then.

My mom was six and upset because she did not understand where Pearl Harbor was. She said folks were talking about it before and after the service. Thought it might be nearby and that bombs might drop at any time... she ran home from church before the rest of her family left. My grandmother having two of six of her kids at the time went to work for a munitions factory in Alamance County, NC for a couple years afterwards. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richieb said:

Amazing when put into perspective - 1500 dead in Pearl attack, 3000 dead in Trade Towers. Same scenerio, blindsided attacks. And how a country responds. When is a war not a war? 

It's also amazing what we History should've taught us from those events....The difference is we (the whole world) lives in the Information Age whereas 75 years ago the Communication experts were a small group of people known as the Code Talkers that saved the day. Today, everyone has a Cell Phone, Computer and those have melded into the same for most people. Again, not even that was fathomable on 9/11. :mellow:

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Our statesmen were not just politicians then. They had backbones too, "The Greatest Generation" isn't just a phrase.

Pride and love for our country was augmented by teachers without evil unions not erased and replaced with malice towards elders and country.

People generally cared about the welfare of others then.

I think what people miss most is we are the one country who elects who we seem to be at the time....I still feel there are elected folks who care about Americans above all else and one needs to look at the dynamics that puts any one of them in place. Sometimes our leaders embarrass me and I like debating when I think they make a historically grave error--That is another great thing about living at this moment in history and being an American

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 10:44 AM, Wolfbane said:

Today is 75 years since the attack at Pearl Harbor with the US declaring war on Japan (75th tomorrow). 

Good day to remember a Veteran.

When Japan declared war on the United States of America.

Thank you to all who protected our freedoms then and now.

It is sad how much today's society forgets this act of war against us.

The bombing of Pearl Harbor was Japan's declaration of war on the United States on Dec, 7th, 1941.  Japan quickly got Germany into the mix and sought their support.  On Dec, 11th, 1941, Germany declared war on the United States.  A deadly world war ensued.  The rest is history.  A

generation of American's on the battle front and home were fully thrust into a war that no  one knew the outcome.  The courage and bravery of a nation was put to the test!

Pearl Harbor was just ONE of the attacks on that SOLAR morning.  Philippines were also attacked that same SOLAR morning (just on the other side of the international date-line)....as were territories under control of our (after that day) allies, such as Malaya/Singapore, Hong Kong, and many more attacks...all on the same SOLAR morning!  As the sun rose across the Pacific Ocean that morning, the attacks happened!  Pearl Harbor was just the most eastward of those attacks!  God rest the souls of those who perished on that "...day which will live in infamy"!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I think what people miss most is we are the one country who elects who we seem to be at the time....I still feel there are elected folks who care about Americans above all else and one needs to look at the dynamics that puts any one of them in place. Sometimes our leaders embarrass me and I like debating when I think they make a historically grave error--That is another great thing about living at this moment in history and being an American

Well stated and interesting, enlightening perspective Sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Davis said:

It is sad how much today's society forgets this act of war against us.

I don't understand statements such as these.  Every year it is all over the news in every format.  Who are these "today's society?"

Perhaps being about 10 miles away from the site has skewed my perception, but I see little forgetfulness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I don't understand statements such as these.  Every year it is all over the news in every format.  Who are these "today's society?"

Perhaps being about 10 miles away from the site has skewed my perception, but I see little forgetfulness.

Only two other houses beside mine even display the flag of the United States of America on my street. College and sports flags out number it.

At work looking out the window of a mixed business and residential area, not one flag to be seen.

I have not had one person mention it to me in my daily activities.

The local news gave today's history 15 seconds buried deep in the broadcast this morning.

Other forums i visit have little to no post of the topic.

Google for instance always has national cat day or national doughnut day or something of the type, but no mention of today.

Those are my observations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Davis said:

Only two other houses beside mine even display the flag of the United States of America on my street. College and sports flags out number it.

At work looking out the window of a mixed business and residential area, not one flag to be seen.

I have not had one person mention it to me in my daily activities.

The local news gave today's history 15 seconds buried deep in the broadcast this morning.

I understand your sentiment and that was one of the reasons I resurrected this thread today....Fwiw, I feel discussions such as this are every bit as patriotic as putting out a flag. I of course respect your view, but imo feel too many people also wear flags on their lapels and never realize what being an American means to others (or the Historical significance).