Please Just Trouble Shoot Me

Tarheel

First the gear:  Jolida 100 tubed CDP with Bugle Boy output tubes.  Quicksilver Audio Horn Mono Amps.  Quicksilver Full Function preamp. Denon DP-1250 TT.  Tube Magic DAC.

Next the problem:  Heard some static and small pop while in another room.  Then heard it again louder.  Changed out the output tubes in one horn mono and tried it solo.  Sounded fine with the TT but no sound when I switch to CDP.

Took the case off the Jolida CDP and changed the two output tubes.  Played fine and then later heard the pops. 

Changed the rectifier tubes in the power amps one at a time.  One amp now doesn't light up or play at all.

So I'm guessing its a preamp tube.  Either for output or just to CDP.

No techs in this area and I am not much of a trouble shooter.

Going to check the fuse for the bad amp now.

Any ideas?

*****Just checked the fuse....blown.  Took the fuse out of the other amp and put it in the dead amp.  Dead amp now works fine with TT or CDP.  So I'm guessing maybe one of the amps output tubes going south blew the fuse?

*****It seems the Tube Magic DAC was the culprit.

I too have the same Quicksilvers. To clarify they are not tube rectified, the "third" tube is an input tube not a rectifier, 12DW7.

Are you able to check each tube component seperatly? Use a SS preamp with the TT and the power amps? That would tell you if indeed one of those is an issue. Try to isolate each tube component from the chain individually might point out the culprit. With so many tubes in the chain it might take a while and several attempts. Something fun for a Saturday afternoon!

Now THIS is unreal -  I'm explaing to you what might be of benefit when at the same time I hear a loud buzz from my tube system and will do what I just explained for your system. I should have minded my own business !!!! Good luck to Both of us ---

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

*****Just checked the fuse....blown.  Took the fuse out of the other amp and put it in the dead amp.  Dead amp now works fine with TT or CDP.  So I'm guessing maybe one of the amps output tubes going south blew the fuse?

Maybe?

You replaced the output tubes in both amps with known good output tubes, and everything seems fine, correct?

How long you figure you'd been using the output tubes that you pulled from the amplifiers...did they have quite of bit of use?

• Like 1

Not a lot of use but I lose track over time Mike.  I replaced the EH 6550 with KT77s (amps are self biasing).  The one amp with replaced power tubes is playing fine.  I don't have a spare fuse for the other just now.

I just went on line and bought 4 EL34ll and 2 EH 12DW7 tubes to retube both amps.

Thanks for the help Mike and Rich!

Yes JJ that is true. The digital output bypasses the tube buffer of the CDP. I was using the DAC back when I was streaming premium Spotify.  Since I no longer do that I can and have changed back (just now) to analog outputs.  When I lifted the DAC to remove it the lights on the unit flickered so now I suspect the DAC was the culprit. 

Good eye!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, richieb said:

Well quickly found my issue. Replaced tube preamp with a passive, fired up the right channel and she's screaming like a newlywed on her wedding night! Guess I'll buy new EL34's for both block's and start fresh. 

Thanks a lot Tarheel ----- !

New tubes are in Rich!

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, derrickdj1 said:

It is good to hear you are up and running again.

Thanks derrick.....of all things the problem was the newest addition to my gear.  The Tube Magic DAC.  I'm not streaming Spotify any longer so I don't need it.  It will go to the Analogue Store with some other gear for repairs.  Then I'll probably sell it.

I'm pleased with my latest project taking everything dowm, cleaning, retubing, rewiring with shorter runs, and 12 ga wire. 

Well this is good news.

System is up and running.

Please let me know when you get this suspect unit repaired as to the exact componet(s) that were bad.

I suspect Cap(s) and or transformer(s).

I have had more than one unit over the years w/same problems.

They were always transformers/Caps.

Good on you 'Heel. But your semi-bad Kharma doubled up on me. Mine is definetly an amp. Swapped all tubes, then preamp, same issue. Got in touch with Mike at QS who said my description left him with no easy solution. So after the Christman package rush it's off to Quickliver for a fix. Not overly thrilled with this but they are great sounding amps. Still the sour taste has me looking for a solid state amp to have around, again! Back and forth, forth and back - it never ends.

16 hours ago, richieb said:

Good on you 'Heel. But your semi-bad Kharma doubled up on me. Mine is definetly an amp. Swapped all tubes, then preamp, same issue. Got in touch with Mike at QS who said my description left him with no easy solution. So after the Christman package rush it's off to Quickliver for a fix. Not overly thrilled with this but they are great sounding amps. Still the sour taste has me looking for a solid state amp to have around, again! Back and forth, forth and back - it never ends.

Sorry Rich I thought those things were bomb proof. I wrote to Mike at QS about a week ago to see if he wanted to "freshen" up my QS Full Function preamp since it is 25 years old.  His response " I have no idea what to do to freshen it up....it's a perfect match for the horn monos".  I wrote back "great....it's good to know the caps and transformers last indefinitely".

16 hours ago, richieb said:

Rich you did check the fuse on each mono right?

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Rich you did check the fuse on each mono right?

No I didn't but figured the amp powers then as the tubes heat the buzz ramps up. So yes the amp has powerbit about 15-20 seconds after fire the buzz ramps up. Since it is not tubes I'm thinking a capacitor has gone bad but Mike at QS did not elude to that said he couldn't give a opinion until he has the amp. A little disappointed as I really like how the amps sound it I have several others to take up the slack.

Thanks 'Heel 

• Like 1