Klipsch in your car.

Fallenangel

Though I agree with Jason, back when I was in college, I owned a convertible (Olds 4-4-2)  I needed to move my LaScalas from my dorm to the house or a party or somewhere.  I dropped the top, the speakers fit perfectly side by side in the back seat and all my necessary electronics fit in the trunk.

I unplugged my car stereo...plugged in the LaScals....  and hit the road home.

A lot of wind noise with the top down but it worked and seemed very cool at the time.

B)

• Like 3

• Moderators

I would imagine they would work but for really good sound it would need to be the better in-ceiling speakers which are not cheap, and if your going to spend that much get the better car speakers that would fit and bolt right in. IMO

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Though I agree with Jason, back when I was in college, I owned a convertible (Olds 4-4-2)  I needed to move my LaScalas from my dorm to the house or a party or somewhere.  I dropped the top, the speakers fit perfectly side by side in the back seat and all my necessary electronics fit in the trunk.

I unplugged my car stereo...plugged in the LaScals....  and hit the road home.

A lot of wind noise with the top down but it worked and seemed very cool at the time.

B)

You had me at convertible Olds 442:D

I don't see why not.  A problem I see is to get the tweeter horn pointed to the listeners ears.  Mounted in the doors the speakers always seem to be pointed at listener's knees.  I think some high end cars have tweeters in the dashboard which must help.

If you don't mind reading about my adventures long ago.  You folks need a story on a cold winter's night.  Right?

In college a good summer job allowed me to buy a car.  It had to be a hardtop with good winter provisions.  Walking back to the dorm I saw a 1964 Volvo 1800S on the street with a for sale sign.  A bit beat up, no grill, synchro in third was weak, and the generator light signaled a problem,  =and a wing window was bent, but the price was right.

It fit in with sensible family ethos.  No trendy youthful MGB types.  Three point safety seat belts.  It was the car The Saint drove.  Somewhat Teutonic. The Swedes make good heaters.  Leather seats which were missing stitching  and worn.  Some shoe polish helped. 

It had a stock AM radio with an open baffle speaker.  More was needed.

A buddy at college had a non-functioning Panasonic 8-track unit with an FM stereo cartridge.  Neat idea.  He earlier had it in his highly modified VW (could pull wheelies with the big truck engine) where it was mounted just in front of his knee.  In an accident he put his knee though it.  So the good fellow gave it to me for free.  Thank you Paul, wherever you are..

A replacement output transistor brought it back to life.  The FM stereo cart seemed to lack sensitivity but it worked.  This was New York and Long Island.

You must understand the zeitgeist.  FM, particularly WNEW, had started "album oriented rock" which was a sophisticated departure from Top-10 AM (e.g. Cousin Brucy on WABC clear channel with jingles).  WNEW had ultra cool DJs including Alison Steele (The Night Bird).  Wikipedia describes the times and Alison.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Steele  Worth reading because it describes the watershed years.

Attacking the sound aiming problem:  I found a pair of 6 x 9 ovals to put in the back bulkhead  of the Volvo which because of the geometry of the passneger comparment faced frontwards.  Then found some wedge shaped three-inch units which could be mounted high on the doors.  This worked much better though there was a fleeting thought about a center channel. 

Another jewel of the time was the Environmental recordings.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environments_(album_series)

The first LP had waves at a shore on side one and an aviary on side two..  The Night Bird played side two and . . . there were birds everywhere in the car.  Magnificent. It was Quad before its day.  The value of aiming speakers was confirmed.

The Volvo got me a razzing because a bunch of us were trying to figure out the generator issue in a college parking lot.  A wag named it "The White Lemon": which stuck. Eventually I figured it out the brush commutator issue with a friend's help. Thank you John, wherever you are.

The bad synchro in third gear got worse and I eventually took the transmission apart to fix it.   Big job.  I had more determination than brains.

I took a girlfriend out in the car early on.  She griped that somehow her dress  got black smudges.  Yup, the shoe polish. I did nor fess up. Sorry Peggy, wherever you are..

Later still, I parked the Volvo in the lot of a shopping mall.  When I got back, the Panasonic was gone.  The wing window was even more twisted.   Some bloke had made himself a criminal by stealing something relatively worthless to anyone but me.

Eventually, the Volvo had more problems than I could keep up with and I sold it with about 200,000 miles estimated because the speedo had quit years before.

Did it go to Volvo Valhalla?  I like to think it became a parts car for the guy who has a million miles on an 1800. 

The speakers though are lost.  Smile.

WMcD

• Moderators
1 hour ago, WMcD said:

The speakers though are lost.

Cool story,  I remember those old Volvo's, a friend had one and we teased him about it, it was white and looked kind of like a shoebox. He told us about all the safety features which was a surprise, at the time no one else had anything close to Volvo when it came to being a safe car.  

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Heresy's sound great in the back of my Explorer, Cornwalls even better.

Had some Heresy's in in the back of the jeep for a good while, sounded good. I had made risers for them so they pointed up over the back seat. I was always worried about an accident since they weren't tied down, I could imagine being hit in the back of the head by a Heresy.